JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I carry 147gr +p ammo while hiking. The grip length with the 10-round mag (even with the pinky extender) is smaller than I would like for follow-up shots with hotter loads. Are there legal mag extenders that can replace the OEM magazine baseplate? I'm not trying to alter the 10-round capacity, I'm trying to create a larger grip surface for when hiking with +p rounds.

I carry 147gr +p ammo while hiking. The grip length with the 10-round mag (even with the pinky extender) is smaller than I would like for follow-up shots with hotter loads. Are there legal mag extenders that can replace the OEM magazine baseplate? I'm not trying to alter the 10-round capacity, I'm trying to create a larger grip surface for when hiking with +p rounds.
Just saying the pinky doesn't add much help as far as recoil is concerned.
Also with that short a barrel length 115 + p or 124 grain + p makes a lot more sense.
If you is determined to carry +p, 147+ p ballistics might barely get your hollow points to expand from the 3" barrel of the hellcat, generally hollow points expand best with more velocity.

Sorry don't know about grip extensions, I never use them defeats the point of a small gun when you make it longer and harder to conceal.
If you are going to add to the length might as well hold a few more rounds too.

Also with that short a barrel length 115 + p or 124 grain + p makes a lot more sense.
If you is determined to carry +p, 147+ p ballistics might barely get your hollow points to expand from the 3" barrel of the hellcat, generally hollow points expand best with more velocity.

Sorry don't know about grip extensions, I never use them defeats the point of a small gun when you make it longer and harder to conceal.
That's not true, the pinky is where the majority of grip strength lies and is the finger that will give you the most leverage on a pistol. They make a huge difference when shooting by G26.

@aksu747 I'm using 147gr FN +p in case of an animal encounter when hiking. When I'm hiking I'm not as worried about deep concealment as there are fewer people and I'm usually wearing cover garments. I load lighter hollow points (as you suggest) when I'm carrying in a more urban environment. I do not like the pinky extender either, I use a flush mag or the larger mag that came with my original purchase.

Last Edited:
That's not true, the pinky is where the majority of grip strength lies and is the finger that will give you the most leverage on a pistol. They make a huge difference when shooting by G26.
@titsonritz You are right, the pinky is critical to the grip - but the hellcat pinky setup just digs into my hand too much. As long as I'm not running +p, I can generate fast and accurate follow-up shots with the flush mount mags. When using the +p I prefer my original 13-round mag or the extender. I wish I would have bought the 15-round mag before the rules kicked in in Washington.

I didn't find that to be the case at all for me with my G26, G27(.40 cal version),my Sig p938, S&W CSX, Ruger LCP Max or my XDS 9.
Whether I curled my pinky underneath the magazine or had factory extensions didn't make any difference on my shooting but I also shoot handguns more than anything else.

@aksu747 I'm using 147gr FN +p in case of an animal encounter when hiking. When I'm hiking I'm not as worried about deep concealment as there are fewer people and I'm usually wearing cover garments. I load lighter hollow points (as you suggest) when I'm carrying in a more urban environment. I do not like the pinky extender either, I use a flush mag or the larger mag that came with my original purchase.
You chose a strange pistol to use for wilderness carry, I'd never trust any 9mm not even out of my 5" 2011for protection from dangerous critters.
9mm isn't good at breaking through bones and tissues of larger animals, might be ok if mountain lions are the only threat, but I'd still rather have a magnum wheel gun or a semi in 10mm for that job.

You chose a strange pistol to use for wilderness carry, I'd never trust any 9mm not even out of my 5" 2011for protection from dangerous critters.
9mm isn't good at breaking through bones and tissues of larger animals, might be ok if mountain lions are the only threat, but I'd still rather have a magnum wheel gun or a semi in 10mm for that job.
@aksu747 You make a fair point. Originally, I did not want multiple handguns so I bought something that was going to have to multitask. The 147 grain I use when hiking is a +p hard cast FN round that is designed for penetration. A big-bore would be better, but this is what I have and, if I'm reasonably accurate the ammo I'm using should deter both a black bear, mountain lion, or any human crazies if needed.