JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Casting a wide net for first or second hand information regarding the Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in .300WM (R/H).

Any information on that specific FA is appreciated; such as...

Reliability
Availability
Controlled Feeding and Extraction
FieldTests
Ballistics (grouping @ 300 yds)
Durability
Stock
Blueing
Iron Sights
Sling Positioning
Break-in process
Other

Thanks!

Casting a wide net for first or second hand information regarding the Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in .300WM (R/H).

Any information on that specific FA is appreciated; such as...

Reliability
Availability
Controlled Feeding and Extraction
FieldTests
Ballistics (grouping @ 300 yds)
Durability
Stock
Blueing
Iron Sights
Sling Positioning
Break-in process
Other

Thanks!

These rifles were originally built in 375 Ruger and were made pretty stout. They are pretty much bomb proof. They were a little pricey compared to the standard Hawkeye and am pretty sure not many were made. They do have a controlled round feed and static ejector, which is pretty standard on safari rifles because of reliability. It has a 3-position wing safety that allows you to lock the bolt on safe or operate the bolt while safe.

The sighs are express style and very sturdy. It also has a barrel mounted sling swivel like a classic African stalking rifle.

I'm sure the rifle will have easy 300 yard hunting accuracy, which to me is 2 MOA at that range. The barrel is a tad shorter than standard 300 win mags. You'll lose a little velocity, but not enough to matter.

I have the older version in .375 Holland and Holland and it is as solid and reliable as you are likely to find! I can't speak to the .300 specifically, but my 2 Hawk Eye guilds and my Alaskan in .338 win are bomb proof! The express sights are quite good, and Ruger actually takes the time when fitting Iron sights to match the chambering better then any manufacture I have seen! I don't think you would have any troubles with one at all:)
As to your questions, I think the fit and finish are quite good, the stock shape is correct for using the express sights, and the accuracy is better then field grade with good quality ammo, and especially hand loads! Ruger wrote the book on Hammer Forged barrel making, and they are some of the best in the business, the closest comparison would be SAKO so that should tell you something, in fact, I had a SAKO Finnlight in .300 that I replaced with the .338 Ruger Alaskan, so that should tell you what I think of Ruger quality! Controlled round feeding is the rule in this type of rifle, and Ruger are some of the smoothest and most reliable of Paul Mauser's creation. Does it sound like I'm giving two thumbs up here:D:D:D

The type of game you'd hunt with a 300 isn't likely the kind that would hurt you, but this style of rifle is built to do that kind of hunting. It was adapted to standard calibers to be more broadly useful rather than the African niche.

Control round feed doesn't use the small parts that a push feed dies. Most push feeds use spring ejectors and small spring steel extractors. These are generally fine for most hunting. However, control round feed supports the case from the moment its released from the magazine. This allows it to be fed from all angles, including upside down. Perfectly necessary for battle rifles and dangerous game rifles.

The Hawkeye African is an "updated" version of the 77MKII with pretty solid open sights. The original African was a 375 Ruger with a nice walnut stock, 23 " barrel and matte bluing. I had one and it was a great shooter. 1 1/2" groups at 150yds. Kicked a bit, but a full length bedding block Hogue tamed it down nicely. Now you can get it in other calibers and if you think it might be the gun for you, buy it. Since I bought my first 77MKII in 2000, I've hunted with nothing else.
The rifle in my avatar is my 30-06 Ackley Improved MKII. Today it was dripping wet and covered in needles and leaves. I would have taken a picture, but I was afraid all of the water would kill my phone. No worries like that about my rifle, ever.