JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, on my "to do" earlier the year was to move to a 7.62㎜ NATO rifle as a primary defensive rifle. (The short/silenced AR is to be retained as wife likes it very much, though I rarely shoot it.) I was pretty dead set on a M1A Tanker, though open to a CETME (¡El Chopo!). Then 2020 happened, and tidal wave of bad news, personal and in the society, in addition to wrapping up a couple other gun projects that took way longer than I thought, and it was largely forgotten.

Today I went to the city to workout at the gym and pickup supplies and I spied a M1A Scout at the Sportsman. I liked it very much! (Well, other than the price; I suspected they were high, then I got back to my office and found it was like $500—600 too high. No matter.)

• Any reason why these are a no-go?
  • I'm not entirely sure what the difference between Tanker and Scout, but I'd rather keep it short. I'll have to research this.
  • I know have a silencer that will handle 7.62㎜ NATO / .308 Winchester quite handily. Any issues with do this?
  • I can't see any reason to not just use 20-round original magazines (in addition to the 10 it comes with). Other options are keep simple?
  • If/when I move to this one, recommends on glass?
Thanks!

I've shot one and it was great for its intended purpose. Just ensure that the threads will accept your can's attachment interface. Some M1A versions (all?) have an integrated front sight and flash hider, so you'd have to find a stand alone front sight/gas block. If you intend to use optics it is a poor choice compared to an AR10.

Right now you can probably find 308 cheaper than 5.56.

If your distances won't exceed 150 yards (in a self defense scenario it likely would not) then also consider the M1A Socom. Palmetto offers them for $1300 with free shipping on a regular basis.

Thank you @User 1234 for the insight; much appreciated. Random thoughts:

• Yes, short range.
  • I will have to research the front sight/gas block situation. That is a potential wrinkle, though I have seen suppressed M1As, so I presume doable.
  • The can in question has just about every conceivable thread types available, so that should be doable.
  • I'm not familiar with the SOCOM variant, but will have to research this.
Thanks again. :s0155:

You can also stretch out the iron sights on M1As very far if you wish. Because of that I've kept my M1A Scout open sights instead of dealing with risers, scopes, etc. KISS

SOCOM flavor looks cool for under 250ish yd. Have not fired one. Sights, gas system are standard M1A on the Scout but I read on the SOCOM that is not so.

This video is obviously an extreme example with NM irons, but pretty impressive.

If I recall, the 'regular' M1A has a 22" barrel the Scout a 18" and the Socom/Tanker a 16" with a different muzzle device the main difference between a SOCOM and a Tanker is wood Vs. synthetic stock. In addition to the Muzzle device difference the short barrels gave a different front sight post.

I am doing this from a known faulty memory

what I wanted ten years ago was the SOCOM with a bunch of rails on the forearm like a quad rail. I think you can buy them aftermarket, but I now have a DDM4 with a quad rail and I don't care for that set up anymore, but great for a red dot and weapons light.

H2O MAN is a great resource for the M1A in a variety of configurations.

Here is a link to one of the threads featuring his info and pics.

Have some M1A questions, could use some help please

Edit to add:

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/members/h2o-man.15527/#recent-content

You will need a threaded gas lock to suppress the Tanker.

1602991444904.jpeg SEI Gas Lock for SOCOM 16
1602991569059.jpeg SEI Short Gas Plug (For Suppressor Clearance)
1602991700014.jpeg SEI Kit

Quality Magazines
M14 / M1A - CHECK-MATE MAGAZINES

Last Edited:
I have Bula M14 but it has a 22" barrel on it so it not my primary HD weapon. I did buy a scope mount, optic mounts and a not too expensive Primary Arms scope but I have not put the scope on yet. I bought the high mounting plate from Bassett machine so I can used my iron sights if I need to. I have not even tried to put the mounting plate on yet but I guess should try the mount and optics.

Man I would love to have a cetme with telescopic or folding stock. Almost bought one but only inexpensive one I could find was from century arms. I think it was $639 as I recall earlier this year. I don't trust century arms really just based on what I've heard with century's Hk 93 clone.

The Tanker is a Socom 16 with a standard hand guard in a wooden stock, it has the 16.25" barrel that was introduced in 1999.

Using a Smith Enterprise gas lock allows you to use a standard front sight, and you can use different muzzle devices.

IMG_7241.JPG
I use SEI's DC Vortex flash hider, it accepts my Wind Talker suppressor... it's set up with a light weight SHG and Aimpoint Micro

WT-CQB-16.JPG

I love my CQB-16 type SEI, but the best shorty is the 18" Scout / MK14 Mod 0 & 1. It is easier and cheaper to change gas locks and muzzle devices on the 18" barrel.

Last Edited:
Man I would love to have a cetme with telescopic or folding stock. Almost bought one but only inexpensive one I could find was from century arms. I think it was $639 as I recall earlier this year. I don't trust century arms really just based on what I've heard with century's Hk 93 clone.

PTR91:

87C741AA-93B8-454F-B9B8-5053DEEAF0DD.jpeg

1C1BE673-F14D-491A-A3E1-A6E62ECCF2BB.jpeg

:D

Apologies on the thread drift....

Haven't taken any of our PTR's out in "a while". May. They're a hoot. Accept CETME & HK mags, of which we have over 400 combined nowadays...:)

Mixed feedback as towards wether all PTR's accept CETME mags. Ours do, of the ones we've tried.

I like my Socom and my Scout. I don't have the funds or need for some of the really cool up-grades here so I stayed simple. Long eye relief Nikon scope on the Scout and EoTech on the Socom. Figured if I ever need to fall back to either for defensive work it won't last long anyway as I am well.... not as limber as I was ... I have had good accuracy from the Scout, but fantastic accuracy from the Socom. I have heard more negative reports from others with this specimen. I guess it is just the gun. Be sure to keep the roller thing on the bolt greased.

I went down this route and then ended up selling and going another route.

At one point I had 3 M1A.

I set up a scout in an EBR stock and it was a sweet set up. The thing is a vey heavy beast and ultimately that is why I went another route.
As shown above they are a few options for mounting a can, which was also in my plans.

I ended up with a Savage MSR 10 with the 18" barrel and I have been very happy with it. The nice thing is that is easily 25% lighter.

It looks like they are out of stock at the moment, but when I did the scope mount on my "Target" M1A this was one of the best mounts out there, https://www.sadlak.com/product-page/m1a-scope-mount-steel-airborne

I held that Socom one once. Boy was it a heavy rifle. I think the longer barrel one was lighter.

My next, and possibly last build will have SEI's M14 DMR Standard Weight 18" Barrel, 1:10" twist, 4 grooves. Made from 4140 chrome-moly and stress relived, with M80HT heat treating.

Greetings! I have had the standard and the Socom:
I loved the standard-shot very well to 300, (length of the range I frequent) if it wasn't for a Marine wanting it for the wall- he was putting together a "wall of USMC rifles" I would still have it. He traded me a Socom- I thought it would be a nice pickup-type rifle. It had the different gas block and brake for supressor. I switched it back. That rifle was LOUD, no matter what you did. Accuracy pretty close to on par. I put a 3" Picatinny base on and ran a semi-extended Leupold 2-7 on it.

In the end the noise just wasn't worth the trouble and the rifle went down the road. There's too much a chance that I won't have hearing protection with when I need it the most. Besides.... I have a 30-30! :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top