JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a friend with an M14 passed down from his brother who passed. Neither of us can figure out how to remove the magazine. Instructions say to set the safety and it should release but it does not. Any tips from anyone experienced with this rifle?

Thanks so much.
Dave

A magazine is a very simple thing to remove.
The fact you can't easily do this makes me wonder if something else is going on.

And I worry you may hurt yourself if I try to explain how to take it out.
Find somebody that knows guns and have them come over and help you. Before you accidentally shoot something.

Do not transport the gun loaded You could shoot something in the process.

Edit: Made post PC.

Last Edited:
Rust:s0143:?

cartridge partially loaded?

Id spray spray some liquid wench in there and see if it helps - shouldn't hurt it but I'd have to see it to make any other recommendations.

YMMV

Push forward on the mag catch (the little lever right behind the magazine) with your right forefinger and hold the magazine with your left hand and rock it forward toward the muzzle and out of the mag well. Just putting the safety on safe will not release the magazine.

Push forward on the mag catch (the little lever right behind the magazine) with your right forefinger and hold the magazine with your left hand and rock it forward toward the muzzle and out of the mag well. Just putting the safety on safe will not release the magazine.

Did this the first time. No movement at all.

A magazine is a very simple thing to remove.
The fact you can't easily do this makes me wonder if something else is going on.

And I worry you may hurt yourself if I try to explain how to take it out.
Find somebody that knows guns and have them come over and help you. Before you accidentally shoot something.

Do not transport the gun loaded You could shoot something in the process.

Edit: Made post PC.
Gun has never been loaded nor fired. There are no rounds in the magazine.

The video shows how to remove the magazine, but remember, you don't pull the magazine down like an AR15, you have to push the mag release forward and rock the bottom of the magazine forward.

I have an M14 and I leave my trigger unlatched when I put in my safe. Not sure how your M14 was stored. There is a M14 website that has most of the information about taking it apart and cleaning and everything.

M14 Forum

I know it says "M14" in the title but is it really an AR 15? I ask because maybe, if you really are not familiar with this platform, it could be one of those restrictive AR types that had to have the upper un-pinned or removed to load the gun. I think California, Mass. had some dumb requirements as these.

Last Edited:
I know it says "M14" in the title but is it really an AR 15? I ask because maybe, if you really are not familiar with this platform, it could be one of those restrictive AR types that had to have the upper un-pinned or removed to load the gun. I think California, Mass. had some dumb requirements as these.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top