JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone, question for the M14 crowd.

I just picked up a new James River Armory (JRA) civilian M14. It's gorgeous, but when I try to "rock and lock" the factory Checkmate Industries 20 rounder in — it doesn't go in nice. I actually have slam it HARD with the palm of my hand, using about 80 foot pounds of man-force.

Just called JRA and they said this is "normal" and the rifle needs to be broken in. Thoughts?

Checkmate mags are a bit tighter than the old USGI mags, and the newer M14s are built tighter than the old... But light filing would probably be the solution, LIGHT filing. But, do at your own risk. Probably voids a warranty.

Could just continually insert and remove the magazine.

Checkmate mags are a bit tighter than the old USGI mags, and the newer M14s are built tighter than the old... But light filing would probably be the solution, LIGHT filing. But, do at your own risk. Probably voids a warranty.

Could just continually insert and remove the magazine.
Light filing of the magazine tab—or something else?

You're correct that this James River M14 is built tighter than a pair of hipster jeans.

I'd say try to get some USGI mags to see if they are too tight before moving onto a filing solution. If the USGI mags are too tight, then maybe the issue is the magwell. If not, then the issue is the magazine so you just measure both with calipers and go from there.

Though its probably a solution that'll just fix itself with wear.

The Check Mate magazine included with my M14 fits fine. I have a few other Check Mate magazines. One fits if I stand my M14 on the buttstock and seat the magazine and push hard. The other Check Mate magazine will not lock into place at all. I guess I need to get the file out.

Don't by cheap mags.. I had problems with my M1A almost blamed the gun :rolleyes:

Check Mate magazines are not that cheap. I got one included with my JRA M14 that I bought and it locks in place all of the time. But I bought a few more Check Mate magazines and they don't lock in place without a bit of force. I will try taking the trigger group out and put it back in. I have not cleaned my M14 or anything yet but I will this weekend.

Check Mate magazines are not that cheap. I got one included with my JRA M14 that I bought and it locks in place all of the time. But I bought a few more Check Mate magazines and they don't lock in place without a bit of force. I will try taking the trigger group out and put it back in. I have not cleaned my M14 or anything yet but I will this weekend.

I meant "Korean mags"

Checkmate mags I've had aren't bad

Springfield mags are only ones I use now.. I know crazy over priced but I like to know 100% good to go

I pulled the trigger group on my M14 and put the trigger back in and 6 magazine lock into place every time now. I have more magazines that are still in the factory wrappers. I like that Check Mate magazines since they are somewhat cheaper that the Springfield M1A ones. The Bula defense receiver parts, barrel and walnut stock are very nice.

Looks like one included may have been filed a bit. Look at the second picture.

IMG_1924.JPG IMG_1925.JPG

Last Edited:
I pulled the trigger group on my M14 and put the trigger back in and 6 magazine lock into place every time now. I have more magazines that are still in the factory wrappers. I like that Check Mate magazines since they are somewhat cheaper that the Springfield M1A ones. The Bula defense receiver parts, barrel and walnut stock are very nice.

Looks like one included may have been filed a bit. Look at the second picture.

View attachment 447972 View attachment 447973
What part of the magazine tab do you file, the top or bottom?

What part of the magazine tab do you file, the top or bottom?

I did not file anything. Just pulled the the trigger group and reinserted it and tried 6 magazines and they all locked into place. The second picture that the magazine on the right was the one included with my M14. The left and center magazine I did not do any filing at all. Looks like one that was included may have been filed a bit under the magazine tab. Look at the m14Forum.com website.

M14 Magazine Fitting Video - M14 Forum

Updated:

I did store the M14 in my gun safe and put a magazine that I had to force into the magazine well and left it for a few days I pulled the assembly this afternoon.

Last Edited:
Ok everyone, fixed my problem in 7 minutes with a 5/8 inch wood chisel.

Removed the barreled action from the stock. Found the little flat spot where the rear of the trigger assembly fits flush against the two little wooden "flats" inside the stock (see pic). Got a sharp 5/8" chisel which fit perfectly into the channel and carefully removed a few curls of wood, pushing the chisel gently across the flats with hand pressure only. I probably removed less than a tenth of an inch of wood. Put the rifle back together to test for fit; the mag goes in way easier now! It requires substantially less effort to click in.

1844AB74-628E-4C93-8FED-33A8F0BBACF2.jpeg 59365B4A-1FA3-41EC-B96A-AB24F9F53F31.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top