JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kinda Expert M1 Carbine Advice ... for free. Free. $FREE!$! :)

Unfortunately, I know some about USGI M1 Carbines. A dubious social skill. Wish I knew more about economics and organic gardening but there you have it. If the new after market non USGI Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine is new or nearly new, if you have ANY function problems, call up the factory and talk to them. If ANY stoppages still occur with good mags and new ammo, make arrangements to return the gun to the manufacture for service.

I do not know anything about Auto Ordnance other than hear say. Their reputation is very high. Good folks.

This may be your best choice. For the price of the new gun it should leave the factory 100% tuned up and ready to go. Just throwing together parts will not cut it. The gun should run. But ... if you start fooling around with the Carbine you may void, (may) any factory warranty you still may enjoy. If you have done any polishing and stuff, you may be out of luck regarding factory service. Your decision. I for one WOULD MESS WITH ...

1) Trying some different new factory ammo like already said. Tula ammo and Carbines seem not to mix. We buy up and use Privi Partisan. 2) Do try another mag. The heavy weight Korean brown waxed paper 30rd mags with the "M2" follower seem to be as good as the very rare and expensive USGI 30rd mags. If you are forced to use a 15 rd or even a phony 10 rd legal mag, make sure they start life as a new 15rd USGI mag.

Carbines seem to have a problem with non spec mags. Expect to pay a bit for USGI mags or equal that work. Again, Carbines CAN be picky about the type of ammo. Start with good new factory FMJ. The gun should run 100%. There may be a short break in period. May. You can hand rack and dry fire the new carbine 500 times. Lube it up heavy. You will NOT hurt ANYTHING. The gun is designed OK for this. But ... do not touch anything.

Field strip, remove the trigger housing group and lube up heavy all the guts. Also lube up heavy the bolt, (both ends) rails and slide.

Try #1 and #2 first. If the gun now runs you are good to go. If the gun still stops, (any stoppages) call up the factory and talk. They may take the Carbine back for tuning or repair or parts replacement. I do NOT KNOW what parts go inside an Auto Ordnance Carbine. I do not know what ammo or mags you are using. Hard to trouble shoot without seeing and gaging the gun. Try all of this first. Easiest. If you still have problems it is decision time.

3) You can then either return or start the tuning up process yourself. But ... once down the road of doing your own Carbine repair, gaging, inspections, polishing, etc., etc., understand that to do it correctly you will need to spend some time and money and experience learning up on the platform. We have about 10+ books and so far over 15+ different gages, tools, gadgets and whatnots for the USGI Carbine. That and 55 years and a high round count.

Carbines have their quirks. It was a wartime expedient design. Some safety measures were deleted. Everything must work correctly. The dimensions must be perfect including head space. Full power ammo must be used. Lots of fun to learn up on this fun gun. When everything comes together the gun runs runs runs. 100% function. With some tuning they can be very accurate. With SP ammo a good choice for your group. The USGI Carbine is our gun.

Clear as mud. Hope this helps. Respectfully.

Another update: an additional 200 rounds have been put through the carbine (Prvi Partizan) with only one FTF (occurred when a friend tried to do a mag dump). I think she's gonna be alright.

Thie .30 Carbine is one of my favorites when it comes to both "in-house" and "house-to-house" clearing. With the proper ammunition (Underwood) it stops bad guys right now!

No one can question the arm's use as a PDW. (Check Audie Murphy's kill record). It was designed as such from the beginning as a derivation of the .32 Winchester Self Loading Rifle. By all that's holy, it works! :s0155: :s0160: