JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,
I have a S&W MP40 that I bought used several months ago. When I bought it, the slide lock tab on the right side was missing, as the previous owner said it was taken off because it kept snagging when being holstered. Being right handed, and knowing how the gun functions, this hasn't bothered me.
I had initial concerns, but after taking it to the range the first time and firing it, I have to say I was impressed at how well it operated, regardless of the flaw. I've fired it a few additional times since, and I've had absolutely no problems (aside from specific ammunition feed issues). Overall, I've put about 500 through it, and it feeds, fires, ejects, reloads, and locks back without hesitations.
I'm in a position now where I've got to downsize, and this is one I'm going to let go. I've had multiple interested buyers change their minds due to this issue. I'm insistent that this is merely cosmetic/convenience and does not affect the operation of the firearm.
Is there something about this that actually jeopardizes the safety or integrity of the gun? If so, would it even be worth fixing? I really do like the gun, and it's a tried and true reliable pistol. I'm needing to bring in cash, and I don't have the resources to pay someone to fix it, and I can't see myself lowering the price any further than I already have at $300.
Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks,
Rich
2018-09-08 12.35.20.jpg

I am doubting the "it was removed " story. They tended to break off because of the way they were manufactured (I have seen many break). Smith updated the part to fix the problem. They would probably send you a replacement if you asked. They are simple to swap out.

It doesn't affect the functionality of the gun, unless the other side broke off too, which I have not seen. Then the only way to lock back would be to insert an empty mag and rack it. It's annoying when you know it's missing, but muscle memory keeps you sweeping for it.

I agree, contact S&W, they are very good at sending missing parts. Probably won't even charge you for it. I wanted to remove a safety on an M&P a while back, they sent me the parts to plug the holes, no charge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top