JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any knowledgeable M-1 Carbine owners around.
I have a specific question regarding a newly acquired Plainfield made carbine "receiver" issue that might need attention before I shoot it.
Any solid advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

The left side guide rail that the left bolt lug slides on before going into battery, has a piece of metal broken off.
It is exactly opposite of the scalloped machined area located under the right side rail.
The white paper shows the area I am concerned about.

Did you get it this way? It may be fixable by a good welder, not sure about cause. Could be everything from a hot reload to being dropped, some bubba prying to remove the bolt, etc. Where did you get the carbine?

The left rail has defiantly been broken.
It looks like the previous owner tried to pry open a stuck bolt.
I showed it to a gunsmith and he said to try a couple of rounds and see how it performs, before I try any type of repair.
The gun was missing the slide spring and the recoil plate screw.
My guess is that it jammed out in the field, they tried to un-jam it with a screw driver and a rock.
They then proceeded to break off the piece of rail and also lose the spring and screw at the same time.

I also don't think it is broken. I just looked at 2 of my carbines and they all have a portion of the rail missing there. Not as ugly as yours but then again yours is a plainfield which is a clone reciever.

Since that rail does not act as engagement for the bolt head. Just shoot it

When in doubt, I just hand it to my friend first and say, "check out this cool rifle I just picked up" and then stand back a ways.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top