JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Mitchell Arms SS Luger.

Yes, yes, I know - they are/were not all that good.

I kind of knew that when I bought it over a decade ago - but I took a chance and it didn't work out all that well.

That's fine. I didn't want an authentic Luger - I wanted one I could shoot for fun and not feel guilty about it and I got it for sentimental reasons. Plus it is stainless and I like stainless.

Problem is that it has a FTF about every 4 or 5 rounds.

I tried different mags. I tried hot ammo, mild ammo, regular ammo, different bullet weights and shapes (mostly FMJ though). I tried different lubes.

Still will not feed a whole mag not matter what I do. Makes no difference.

I would like to find a gunsmith who really knows Lugers who isn't going to turn up his nose at this non-authentic Luger (so far everybody I ask won't even look at it).

I am not trying to make this a combat dependable pistol - it will never be that.

I want it to feed at least a mag or two without problems so I can have fun shooting it.

Suggestions?

How many rounds total would you say you have fired? Just asking because I had similar problems. Mine didnt run good until I went to gunsprings.com and got their heavier springs. I also used fine lapping compound on the slide, smoothing it out, and breaking it in. It would take 500+ rounds to smooth it out. The compound did it in a few min.

The heavier springs really helped!

I am a gunsmith and dont turn my nose up at any job!

How many rounds total would you say you have fired? Just asking because I had similar problems. Mine didnt run good until I went to gunsprings.com and got their heavier springs. I also used fine lapping compound on the slide, smoothing it out, and breaking it in. It would take 500+ rounds to smooth it out. The compound did it in a few min.

The heavier springs really helped!

I am a gunsmith and dont turn my nose up at any job!

I would say at least 200, maybe 300 rounds of different kinds of ammo.

It is remarkable consistent in not being able to make it through a single mag of ammo.

I have a question for The Heretic: were you successful in finding a solution to your Mitchell Arms SS Luger FTF problem ? I have the same exact problem with my Mitchell Arms SS Luger and would also like to be able to feed a complete magazine.

Read this on the net by Jim Downey

"A magazine might seem like a fairly trivial thing to focus on, but in the case of the Luger, having a magazine that fits properly and has the right spring pressure is critically important. You see, the toggle-action design of the gun requires the correct balance between the main recoil spring and the magazine spring. If that balance is off, if one of the springs doesn't have the right pressure, then the whole system won't work properly, and there will be jams in the gun. The fact that the Mitchell Arms reproduction works with both original and new magazines says a lot. (Note: New magazines also work in original models!)"

But what if they all needed better/stronger mag springs matched along with a new improved recoil spring.
Wolff Springs has both mag & recoil ones for Lugers.

I suppose.

The Luger is not a fun gun to take apart, but the recoil spring looks like it wouldn't be too bad. I may give it a try. If it was the recoil spring though, I would think different ammo would solve that problem.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews