JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep...was shooting those useless hunks of iron today...even hit some targets .....:D
For me I use...
Hot soapy water...dry the metal parts , then a Hoppe's #9 clean or CLP....No rust on my guns , thank you very much....:D
( For those new fangled cartridge guns , skip the hot soapy water and just Hoppe's or CLP )
Andy

Yep...was shooting those useless hunks of iron today...even hit some targets .....:D
For me I use...
Hot soapy water...dry the metal parts , then a Hoppe's #9 clean or CLP....No rust on my guns , thank you very much....:D
( For those new fangled cartridge guns , skip the hot soapy water and just Hoppe's or CLP )
Andy
That's an interesting angle.... what did they use to hold off rust and keep the (few) moving parts clean way back when? Whale oil? Some kind of vegetable based oil?

That's an interesting angle.... what did they use to hold off rust and keep the (few) moving parts clean way back when? Whale oil? Some kind of vegetable based oil?
See Ura-Ki's post number #24 ...nailed it.
When in the field hunting or at a period correct event...I use deer tallow or bear grease as a patch lube or rust preventative....
Andy

I have been fighting corrosion on various metals all my life. I live in Seaside, at sea level, virtually surrounded by salt estuary, ocean and air. Constant fight with steel rust and aluminum oxidation on guns, tools and Harley's. I've even logged for few seasons, in my younger years, in the islands of Alaska and always (required) had a bear gun when leaving camp for leisure activities. That gun was usually a Ruger Blackhawk 45LC stoked with hand loads. But I digress....
My routine after getting in from the field would be a thorough cleaning with Hoppes Number Nine, then a generous rub down with Breakfree CLP. That Blackhawk HAS NO RUST on it. Owned it since 1976. Same with my Ruger 77 300 Win. from 1971. Before Breakfree came along I used Hoppes gun oil, with very good results.
Hoppes Number Nine will clean off the existing CLP and oils from surface metal, which is a good thing because CLP will build up in layers, which is also a good thing, but clean it off and re-apply CLP and you'll be good to go. I'm sure there are many good products out there, but this is what has worked well for me.
Just my $.02

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top