JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I have a really nice Remington 510 rifle...it was made in June of 1941.
It shoots nicely....but the bolt handle has some "play" in it.

I have read that this is common...and a "easy" fix is to hit the underside of the bolt handle where it attaches to the bolt with a punch.
The idea of hitting a bolt with a punch , seems wrong to me.
Anyone ever do this or have a better idea...?
Or...since it doesn't seem to be "looser" after shooting it...Just don't worry 'bout it . 'cause that is just what they do.
Thanks ,
Andy

I had one that was repaired with a punch on the underside of the bolt handle.
Whoever did the repair used a letter stamp punch and it left an "R" instead of a dimple when using a pointed punch.
I always thought that Remington had done it on purpose at the factory, but doubt it now that I've read up on how many have this problem.

Here is a pic showing where you punch the bolt handle.

1602094811339.png

I have a Remington Model 511 with the same loose bolt handle issue. I looked at the underside of the bolt and it already has what looks like a small hole drilled where the bolt attaches. Not sure I want to hit it with a punch either.

Just did it...and it worked.
I set the bolt up in my vise as in the picture that jbett98 posted , but I also padded the vice with a old hunk of flannel.

Put the punch in the "small hole" and gave it a sharp tap...and sure as shootin'...it locked the handle right up.
Andy
( Thanks Again @jbett98 :D )

Not sure, what causes the loose bolt handle. My buddy has one and it didn't seem loose last time I used it.
His has lots of wear from years of use, I'll have to ask him if he ever had problem with the bolt handle getting loose and how he fixed it if he had that problem.

I have one that the handle has come unattached. It looks like a tapered thread. As I remember it is an odd pitch I could not match It is for a project rifle I have yet to finish.

Stippling with a punch works on loose Stevens .22 bolt handles too.

You can use that stippling procedure to tighten up all kinds of loose steel. Like sight slots on barrels, sight slot on 1911 slide, etc. I've used it to tighten up a loose wheel bearing on a front wheel spindle. I suppose over time it will loosen up again but after years of use, it was still tight when the car drove away for the last time.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top