Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Looking to purchase a SBR in the 1000 dollar range

Discussion in 'Rifles Wanted' started by thekid, Dec 9, 2011.

1. thekid

thekid pdx Member

************SORRY**********EDIT IM LOOKING FOR SHORT BARREL RIFLE LEGAL IN OR****** i THOUGHT SBR WAS WHAT THAT MEANT********

If you have a quality, tested, solid SBR you have been thinking of getting rid of I am in the market. I am a pilot traveling to west Africa to work for a mining consortium and want something I can keep in the plane with me in case I have to ditch. I worked in Iraq for 6 months in 2003 and so know what it feels like to be outside the protective walls of the good old USA. I don't normally need this type of weapon, a 40 cal XMD makes me sleep just fine at night. I have done a lions share of research, so I have these requirements.
    1) First of all, gun must be tested. I am not interested in any first time builds or new Bushmasters purchased at Wallmart.
    2) The caliber needs to be accurate up to 100 yards with a minimally trained person (me) firing it at most likely moving hostile targets armed with everything from PMK's to a machete.
    3) Gun must be rigid. The most likely situation of use will be after a forced landing, I need a fully operational weapon instead of 2 pieces of non-operational junk.
    3) Gun must need anything more then ammunition. If it has add-ons that require batteries I need them charged and ready.
    4) Gun is going to be declared through customs in South Africa. I would require full documentation of life of the firearm.
    Well that's it. I hope you guys out there have something special for me, I would sure appreciate it. I am in the PDX area and will be available Wendsday of this week to purchase. Would like to see a few offers so email me at Live3demo@gmail.com.
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  2. glock.40

glock.40 Orygun Active Member

I don't own one, but Colt makes a nice SBR AR. A store in Salem has a few, Blackwater Tactical - he is a vendor on here. But it will take much longer than 4 days to get one. You could try for an AK or AR pistol instead?

3. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Hmmm! Check with this guy (orl-llc.com). Call him/email him. He knows his stuff. He can custom build something for you if you don't find anything in his inventory that meets. I hope you can get the "holy paper" processed out on time for your trip.

A thought: SBR an AR yourself. Why? I've heard BATFE is moving Form 1s much quicker lately than Form 4s. That's how it has always been, more so since they re-assigned examiners. This is how I'd go about it:
    1. buy an AR pistol
    2. submit your Form 1
    3. Shoot the heck out of it to gain confidence in the rig, remove kinks, if any; test/practice with the chosen optics.
    4. Once you get the paperwork, have the receiver engraved and have a stock/buffer tube installed.

I'd avoid BATFE and go for a Steyr Aug or a FN P90. Nevertheless, finding a decent bullpup for less than a $1k might prove difficult.

Are you a fixed wing or a rotor pilot?

I am thinking your 40cal should not stay behind. I'd get a confy, high quality shoulder holster for it, if you already don't have one.

Godspeed.

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

So what he's looking for is more like a 16" barreled rifle then a SBR (which is a special category of rifle requiring a federal tax stamp that can take months to acquire)

An AR-15 type would be suitable

5. AnthonyNorfleet

AnthonyNorfleet Oregon Member

Is there any reason a quality 16in AR wouldn't meet your needs? Its been my experience that the longer barreled ARs are more reliable and would be cheaper because of the lack of a $200 tax stamp.

6. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Another thought, would a AK-47/74, an FN-FAL, or any other battle proven 16" rifle with a side folding stock meet your rigidity requirement? After all, we are talking a man sized target at 100yds! Even a crummy AMD65 SBR should be able to handle that.

7. MinnesotaORnewbie

MinnesotaORnewbie Oregon Active Member

pm sent, I have what you need, Noveske, ready to go! and everything else