JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for recommendations Bedside Handgun Safes that can be mounted. Needs to be quick release like biometric or quick fingers pad type. The safe needs to be able to be mounted to avoid being carried off if home broke into while away. This info is for my son and his wife who live in an apartment. They have a young daughter so a safe like mentioned above.

Any other recommendations?

Their apartment is upstairs so a floor safe is not practical plus would be noticeable having it delivered by neighbors or others that happen to be around.

This is one like I'm thinking:

SpeedVault Handgun Safe

Thank you for any info and opinions.

I have a couple speedvaults and hornady rapid safes. Bedside, I prefer the rapid safe with rfid access that I've used for several years. (2600KP & 2700KP)

Really though... they are nothing more than deterrents and are really only good for keeping curious hands away and satisfy safe storage requirements. The barrel type key locks are easily defeatable, but something is better than nothing.

I would not, however, rely on them as home invasion proof in any sense. If you are going to be away from home, use a full on gun safe and leave the rapid access safes for "at home" securing of your EDC.

I agree w the Hornadys. Quality but spendy. I have a Vaultek ands this one in the pic. Made under the Viking name. This is bolted onto the top of an old 5 drawer cherry dresser. They steal the safe they're gonna be easy to catch up to!

Fingerprint but has an emergency key. I suggest you buy more space than you need bc there is always something else to stash.

IMG_0214.jpeg

My bedside gun just sits in a holster on my night stand….. if I have to leave a firearm at home it gets put in the main safe.

The best of all possible worlds is a quick button box, hidden and bolted into a panel in some furniture. Safe and hard to find, but still quick.

Looking for recommendations Bedside Handgun Safes that can be mounted. Needs to be quick release like biometric or quick fingers pad type. The safe needs to be able to be mounted to avoid being carried off if home broke into while away. This info is for my son and his wife who live in an apartment. They have a young daughter so a safe like mentioned above.

Any other recommendations?

Their apartment is upstairs so a floor safe is not practical plus would be noticeable having it delivered by neighbors or others that happen to be around.

This is one like I'm thinking:

SpeedVault Handgun Safe

Thank you for any info and opinions.
The Gunvault products are good but they are a basic level of protection. For keeping curious kids out they will work, but for kids or thief's that are determined to get in they are not as strong, as mentioned above Ive heard the tubular key can be defeated.

Speaking of keys, with kids its best to get a combination or biometric safe. Most of them come with backup key entry, often the key hole is cleverly hidden. This is fine but maybe hold onto the keys for your sons family for them, kids have a way of finding keys.

Something I highly recommend is any of the Vaultek Safes. They are all biometric or touch keypad. (they do come with a backup key but some models have a button inside to deactivate that option....). Most of the Vaultek safes do not bolt down but those models all come with a security cable that for what those are worth are well built into the design. The advantage of a Vaultek safe is then they would have the option to use that while traveling.

That said, their is a Vaultek model that fits exactly what you want. It bolts to your bedframe or nightstand or dresser or whatever and slides out when opened. Vaulteks are a bit more expensive but they are worth it and last.

Note: I own a Gunvault and 2 Vaultek safes. I highly recommend any of the Vaultek safes.

1686106981588.png

V-Line Top Draw Locking Tactical Gun Storage Box, Black https://a.co/d/4vC0qkk

I would go mechanical (and have one of these as my quick open safe) because honestly biometric sucks bad (fingerprint anything is notoriously unreliable) and the ones that have a "backup key" have it because electronics fail at the worst time and batteries die.

It can be mounted.

I can put a G17 plus a few mags or 2 pistols in mine.

I currently have a cheap vaultek safe with a key, and I carry at the house due to the kids. I need to figure something else out, but I'm not sure yet what I'll do.

Better to have it hidden in one of the shelves that hinge open, a false bottom in a drawer or a hinged mirror or similar. It only has to fool a criminal drug addict. While it is unlikely to fool a Hollywood-style world class cat burglar, that type probably isn't looking at your son's apartment complex.

I have the Vaultek wifi version, never thought I'd be a wifi type but it alerts me any time the code is input right or wrong, also when it's opened via bio or even jarred. Very well built, it's bolted to the studs under my coat rack near the front door. It was close to $500 but I wouldn't want to compromise on quality. Also have a backup key.

Hard to find a small handgun safe that can't be defeated during a full-on burglary....my bedside safe is 100% meant to keep the kids away from the gun - that's it. No electronics that can fail; no key that can get lost. Have to press the right buttons at the right time and voila. These guys frequently run a 'buy one get one' promo so I'd wait for that: https://stopboxusa.com/

I'll list one NOT to buy...

I have a SentrySafe mounted to the desk counter in the dining room. Could just as easily be mounted to a bedside table. But my kids are grown and gone, so I don't need this anymore since my EDC just sits in a holster on the nightstand now when not in use. It'll hold a full-sized pistol and tons of mags, or two mid-sized/compacts and a couple strategically-placed mags, but you'd have to Tetris/Jenga them in there... :rolleyes:

I would not recommend the SentrySafe, having had one. Sure, it's fancy in that it comes with all three unlocking mechanisms. You can choose to use any one of them - biometric fingerprint, code keys, or cylinder lock/key. I found the 5-digit code to be the quickest way to unlock it. And as @Joe13 mentioned above, biometric is unreliable. It was fine at first, but over time (even after cleaning), it now takes a couple-three swipes to activate. No good in an emergency... :s0002: The other thing that's happened that is really annoying is that the piston that flings the door up seems to have off-gassed over the years. Now when I unlock it, the door pops up only about a 1/4" or so, and just stops. I have to scrape around the edge of the door to get my fingers under it to lift it. Again, not something I'd use in an emergency... :s0002:

So, I don't use it for gun storage anymore. Instead, everything goes in the monster-safe in the garage (that's bolted to the floor) when I leave town. The SentrySafe is now just a "catch-all" to throw things in that I want to lock away when young, curious eyes come around, like my petsitter...

Showing all 3 unlocking mechanisms:
SentrySafe01.JPG

Showing with 2 compact pistols:
SentrySafe02.JPG

Last Edited:
I would not recommend the SentrySafe, having had one. Sure, it's fancy in that it comes with all three unlocking mechanisms. You can choose to use any one of them - biometric fingerprint, code keys, or cylinder lock/key. I found the 5-digit code to be the quickest way to unlock it. And as @Joe13 mentioned above, biometric is unreliable. It was fine at first, but over time (even after cleaning), it now takes a couple-three swipes to activate. No good in an emergency... :s0002:
I tend to agree. I tried a couple of the biometric, but none where reliable. I realize that has large part to do with being an active person and not treating my hands kindly. Rough use seems to alter my fingerprints (happens with computers and phones as well... becoming unreadable), but no matter... it's pretty worthless if it's not 100%.

Fumbling in the dark with buttons too kind of miffs me. I tend to wake a little on the groggy side. The rapid safes are at least illuminated, which helps, but also defeats the purpose of covert and quick access.

That's what I really like about the RFID access. Reach over and slap it then wave over the top of it... voila!

Technological advances since I bought my safes... I kinda like the alert feature @kmk1012 was talking about. Pretty spendy, but if I had young children at home and actually kept a firearm in an "EDC safe" like that when not at home I think it would be worthwhile. We all know that those bedside type safes are easily defeatable and keys have a way of being found, but less likely to defeat a notification system like that.

I guess if your kid knew it was wifi and shut off your router before tampering with it is still possible though. With the internet these days, all a kid would have to do is look up the name and model number online and there would be a youtube on how to defeat it... right? 🤣

With the internet these days, all a kid would have to do is look up the name and model number online and there would be a youtube on how to defeat it... right? 🤣
Eee-yup! Or damned close! :s0140:

I currently have a cheap vaultek safe with a key, and I carry at the house due to the kids. I need to figure something else out, but I'm not sure yet what I'll do.
I had the exact same problem, so I just bought a mechanical combo fort knox pistol box. Free shipping from UT on those heavy things.

I have a couple speedvaults and hornady rapid safes. Bedside, I prefer the rapid safe with rfid access that I've used for several years. (2600KP & 2700KP)

Really though... they are nothing more than deterrents and are really only good for keeping curious hands away and satisfy safe storage requirements. The barrel type key locks are easily defeatable, but something is better than nothing.

I would not, however, rely on them as home invasion proof in any sense. If you are going to be away from home, use a full on gun safe and leave the rapid access safes for "at home" securing of your EDC.
I took the concealed class and I began to realize there are no excuses for me not to have a solid safe So I'm in a hunt now. Just like what you said atleast to deter the non user. Honestly, I'm running out of space in my house especially for another rifle safe closet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top