JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, my wife and I currently own a 2005 Toyota 4Runner and no longer feel like paying for it. We want to get another 4x4, preferably an SUV about the same size, but also a lot less expensive. I've been looking mainly at older 4Runners, Nissan Pathfinders/Xterras, and Jeep Cherokees (4.0L straight-six). My brother-in-law is a huge Jeep guy so he's been ranting and raving about those, but I'd like to get some more insight on some other vehicles. Anything you guys or gals could tell me would be much appreciated. Thanks!

If you don't mind not getting the greatest mileage (avg 15-16) than get a jeep cherokee with the 4.0l. They are great vehicles. Get one with the transfer case that has full-time 4wd and part-time 4wd. The part-time locks the center differential I believe, while the full time doesn't and it allows you to drive on varying road conditions (gravel to pavement, snow to wet pavement, patchy snow, etc.)

wg

wow. i have a 2000 suburban that averages 15 mpg and as long as i set the cruise at 62 i get 18-19 mpg. plus lots more room. i could almost stick a forerunner in the back of my truck..:s0114:

And I was looking forward to a discussion of will trade wife for 4x4. If you are looking for transportation the wife can drive that's a whole different ball game... You can always look at the good ole classics - early clean bronco, blazer, or even an old school loaded grand wagoneer or jeepster and you cant leave out the international scouts... then again those all fall under the home mechanic group so you can do a little home maintenance.

I'm a Jeep guy. If you do get a Cherokee, stick with the 4.0 I-6cyl. The 87-90 are ok but 91-96 would be a better choice. I put 299,000 miles on a '88 before I parted it out(it burned 1/2qt of oil per tank of gas), wife had a '91 with a 5spd and got 19-20mpg regularly, got 15mpg with a lifted, locked, '96 running 33's. Her '03 Grand Cherokee gets 15-17mpg and its got a 4.7 V8. If mileage is a concern, Toyota and Subaru get better mpg and seem to have good reliability, though I've never owned either. And the T/C that Wallygator is talking about is the NP231, look for the little round red/silver tag on the rear of the case, stay away if it says NP207, 241, or 242.
G

+1 on the Cherokee. I've had mine for about 7 years now and it's a beast. Like everyone else has said, get the 4.0. I'm more fond of the 97+ years. Mine's a 98. Parts are cheap and can be found anywhere. Also look into the Grand Cherokees. They'll be a little more money, but you get a little more luxury with it also.

What's your price range?

another vote for the jeep cherokee

I've put almost 89k miles on mine in just over two years (it has just under 160k miles total), and it's never broke down...and it has been ABUSED horribly. It has been stuck an awful lot though, but's that because I refuse to use what little common sense I have.

There's not anything else you can buy that will offer the performance, reliability, comfort, and low cost of maintenance that a cherokee will. The only bad thing is it's getting hard to find them in decent shape with low miles that haven't been completely trashed.

Another vote for the cherokee. I've got a '99 now and have a '90 that is waiting for me to make it a project with 225K on it. It still runs but it's lost a lot of pep and it starting to use some oil. I'd recommend the 4.0L. Both of mine will get about 20 MPG at freeway speeds and 15MPG in town but they're both 5 speed manuals. The PT 4WD only was called Command-Trac and used the NP231 transfer case. The FT 4WD was called Selec-Trac and used the NP242 transfer case. The naming for the cases changed from NP to NV (NV231 or NV242) during their lives also. The full time models are tougher to find and will often be more expensive. I don't have a problem with either.

I have 2 99 grand Cherokee's with v8's, in town they get about 15 or so, but HWY is about 22.. they are ok, iv had some issues with them and wouldn't mind getting rid of one, actually plan to in the next few months.. but jeeps are good SUVs... I also like the Xterra's but i think my next car is gonan be a mazda3 or 6..

The older 4runners are ridiculously reliable.
The early 3rd gen (96ish) are getting a little long in the tooth, may have some beat up seats, high mileage, etc.
start getting into the late 90'z and early 00's, and they have been nothing if not reliable.
Be careful of severe accidents, lack of maintenance, and abused examples.

If it's for your wife then I would stay away from the Cherokees. Every one of them rattle and squeak. The ride is ok if you don't lift them. Trying to find one that hasn't been butchered for a good price is almost impossible. The grand cherokee is a better choice for her as they are quieter and have a better ride but The gas mileage isn't that great.

The older 4 runners are a good choice but like the Cherokee, trying to find one that hasn't been butchered is impossible.

If it were my wife, buy her a used chevy tahoe (and i dont even like chevys!) and she will be happy

Thanks for all the input, everyone. She definitely likes the Grand Cherokees better than the Cherokees. Does anyone know when they stopped putting the I-6s in the Grand Cherokees?

I think they put the 4.0L in them through 2004. You might want to look at some of the V-8s also. The people I know who've had a 5.2L or 4.7L were happy with them. The Grands are also pretty capable off road for a stock vehicle. I'd have looked at them but I don't like automatic transmissions.

Are you set on 4wd versus awd/crossover type vehicles?
1st gen highlander = camry with lift and awd available. LOL.
Good fuel economy, reliable, etc.

What do you guys think of older tahoes, yukons and suburbans (90's)? I am in the same boat looking for a new suv with 4 wheel drive. Everyone is telling me jeep but I dont want to worry about wrenching if I dont have to and if they get about the same gas mileage its hard to choose.

What do you guys think of older tahoes, yukons and suburbans (90's)? I am in the same boat looking for a new suv with 4 wheel drive. Everyone is telling me jeep but I dont want to worry about wrenching if I dont have to and if they get about the same gas mileage its hard to choose.
The tech I work with that used to work for GM said one word: "junk"
LOL

Everyone is telling me jeep but I dont want to worry about wrenching if I dont have to

You don't HAVE to wrench on it. If there's a point you HAVE to work on it, they are super easy and parts are super cheap and can be found at any junk yard. At some point every vehicle will need maintenance, might as well have a reliable, easy to work on one.

Yeah thats what I was curious about, I always here my jeep has x problem. After racing Hondas for years and dealing with cracked knuckles I just wanted something that I dont have to worry about to much.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews