JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

A lot of people know I've been doing the home dad thing for half a dozen years and that I have had some health issues during that time.

Well, I have decided that I have enough food options to keep the cramps back and nothing like necessity to get me up and moving in the morning so now that my daughters out of highschool I have decided to look for a 'real' job again (I'm tired of selling my toys) lol:D.

Obviously, I would like to travel as little as possible and I live in the Hazel Dell / Salmon Creek area so that would be ideal.

Other then that, jobs that include a work truck that can be taken home is a plus.

My short (as in I'm very versitile) list of skills:

-Low Voltage Electrician (residential and commercial work)
-Handy Man (anything and everything but foundations)
-Could do retail in Guns or Car parts
-Skilled with tools for:
--Mechanics
--Woodwork
--Home Repair
--Building/Fixing Computers

Updated skills list:
Highly computer compitent
--Very good troubleshooting skills
--Good management of contractors
--Quality control on new builds
--Well versed in all Microsoft Office programs.
--Experience with Adobe programs like Photoshop and Pemier, as well as Final Cut Pro programs.
--Mac and PC literate
--Good personal and email communication skills
--Well schooled in Maths and Sciences

Very self motivated if given an end goal (no micro managing needed).

If you can train me then I can do pretty much anything - I'm very hands on and learn very fast (I would work for myself but do not have the capital to invest).

My last job I oversaw contractors, scheduled maintenance and repair work (did maintenance and repair work requiring high level troubleshooting with a laptop and hand tools) on 77 different sites in SW WA in the telecommunications field for over 10 years.

Looking for anything from part time to full time but the goal is a lasting working relationship, otherwise Costco is always hiring;).

Please send me questions, offers or opportunities using the Conversation (PM) feature.

Last Edited:
May give NW road service or Pacific Towing a call - they are AAA contractors in vancouver and there always seems to be a need for new blood in this industry. Mechanical skill always a plus. Most towing / road service providers do take home trucks. Pay is usually either salary + commission or straight commission. Beats selling your toys and every day is different.

I worked for AAA for a couple years, I loved the job. It was a lot of fun actually.

There are property maintenance jobs all over in Vancouver.
There was a tire place going in Hazel Dell that was hiring managers/trainee not too long ago.

Look up indeed.com for jobs it's a great resource.

Figured I was in a carrier for life. Man was I nievè...

After some initial searching I am a little more overwhelmed then when I started.

A college student with a 2 year degree in IT has more current tech skills then I have currently (not that I can't figure anything out given a bit of time) and entry level labor jobs pay less then I was making at 18 (22 years ago) in a better economy.

Instead of persueing SSI for 4 years I would have been better off sitting at the exit ramp during peak hours and begging (but as much pride as I have let go with my illness I still can't do that.

That's the really hard part. Unless you know someone or have the right specific experience/training it's so hard to find anything that is worth a crap. I have been looking for something more of a career at 34 and it's ridiculously hard to get in anywhere that pays a decent wage. I make decent money for what I think is an easy job, but it's a lot of BS and the egotistical aholes the run the business are horrible.

So for now it's okay, but no retirement, no future orher than beating up my body for years to come.

Good luck Brother, if I hear of anything worth a damn I'll send it your way.

Get your self a linked in account and post up you skills and a nice picture! You never know, and I see a ton of posting's for work in the PNW! Good luck brother, If you lived down here, I would put you to work!

I don't know of anything open right now, but I'll certainly give you a heads-up if I hear something. I know you asked about NW Vancouver, is that a hard requirement, or are you open to moving more around the Vancouver and PDX Metro areas? Opening your geographic boundaries will certainly expand upon possible opportunities.

I don't know of anything open right now, but I'll certainly give you a heads-up if I hear something. I know you asked about NW Vancouver, is that a hard requirement, or are you open to moving more around the Vancouver and PDX Metro areas? Opening your geographic boundaries will certainly expand upon possible opportunities.

That's a great question and I should have elaborated.

The NW Vancouver area is where I live and most jobs I have seen so far seem to pay $10-14 an hour.

At those wages I could not afford to go very far (gas and car maintenance being a factor), especially to OR where I would loose another 10% to state taxes.

However, I am not against a carrier job again and those usually pay more and for your milage if not just give you a vehicle to take home. A job like that is totally doable. Or an office job like project management or whatever which pays in the 20's+ would be workable (and preferable actually). (I have a friends dad in the IT security business and we are set to talk about it tonight I hope as he thinks he has some stuff to have me think on. Good pay and no labor involved)

I should have updated the above list to include:

-Highly computer compitent
-Very good troubleshooting skills
-Good management of contractors
-Quality control on new builds
-Well versed in all Microsoft Office programs.
-Experience with Adobe programs like Photoshop and Pemier, as well as Final Cut Pro programs.
-Mac and PC literate
-Good personal and email communication skills
-Well schooled in Maths and Sciences

I haven't needed a resume in so many years that I keep forgetting valid skills I have. Honestly, I have done a hoard of jobs, either professionally or for my friends or my personal life and can do a wide range of jobs (some with a bit of training) very well to excellently. Hard labor or constant labor all day would be no go' sat this point, I'm not 20 anymore and have been in much better shape.

I clean up well, do not wear earrings anymore and my tattoos are easily hidden.

@Ura-Ki , I will be putting a resume together and posting it there and any other websites I can find, thanks for the suggestion.

That's a great question and I should have elaborated.

The NW Vancouver area is where I live and most jobs I have seen so far seem to pay $10-14 an hour.

At those wages I could not afford to go very far (gas and car maintenance being a factor), especially to OR where I would loose another 10% to state taxes.

However, I am not against a carrier job again and those usually pay more and for your milage if not just give you a vehicle to take home. A job like that is totally doable. Or an office job like project management or whatever which pays in the 20's+ would be workable (and preferable actually). (I have a friends dad in the IT security business and we are set to talk about it tonight I hope as he thinks he has some stuff to have me think on. Good pay and no labor involved)

I should have updated the above list to include:

-Highly computer compitent
-Very good troubleshooting skills
-Good management of contractors
-Quality control on new builds
-Well versed in all Microsoft Office programs.
-Experience with Adobe programs like Photoshop and Pemier, as well as Final Cut Pro programs.
-Mac and PC literate
-Good personal and email communication skills
-Well schooled in Maths and Sciences

I haven't needed a resume in so many years that I keep forgetting valid skills I have. Honestly, I have done a hoard of jobs, either professionally or for my friends or my personal life and can do a wide range of jobs (some with a bit of training) very well to excellently. Hard labor or constant labor all day would be no go' sat this point, I'm not 20 anymore and have been in much better shape.

I clean up well, do not wear earrings anymore and my tattoos are easily hidden.

@Ura-Ki , I will be putting a resume together and posting it there and any other websites I can find, thanks for the suggestion.

I can't recall if you mentioned, but do you have a CDL? Or have you had one in the past? I occasionally see jobs posted through some of our sister companies for drivers, but they all require current CDL. They're not necessarily long-haul transport type stuff, some are drivers for road maintenance/paving, others are drivers for concrete, etc.

You might check out Knife River Corp. online for any job listings, especially this time of year they get very busy and are often looking for help in a variety of positions.

I can't recall if you mentioned, but do you have a CDL? Or have you had one in the past? I occasionally see jobs posted through some of our sister companies for drivers, but they all require current CDL. They're not necessarily long-haul transport type stuff, some are drivers for road maintenance/paving, others are drivers for concrete, etc.

You might check out Knife River Corp. online for any job listings, especially this time of year they get very busy and are often looking for help in a variety of positions.

No, I have never had a CDL. All of my jobs involving vehicles have been jobs that send a truck home with you so you can deploy faster as needed (maintenance and repair of Cellular tower equipment and low voltage jobs so I didn't have to go into the office to get a truck before the day started).

I have seen a ton of 'local, home at night' driving jobs that looked kinda appealing but all require a CDL.

No idea how fast I could aquire one, but I thought it required paying for and taking a course or classes. I've driven a lot of large rigs and guesstimate my total mileage to be over 1.5million miles driven (I've driven 7-8 company vehicles from brand new into the ground after a few hounded thousands miles on them).

No, I have never had a CDL. All of my jobs involving vehicles have been jobs that send a truck home with you so you can deploy faster as needed (maintenance and repair of Cellular tower equipment and low voltage jobs so I didn't have to go into the office to get a truck before the day started).

I have seen a ton of 'local, home at night' driving jobs that looked kinda appealing but all require a CDL.

No idea how fast I could aquire one, but I thought it required paying for and taking a course or classes. I've driven a lot of large rigs and guesstimate my total mileage to be over 1.5million miles driven (I've driven 7-8 company vehicles from brand new into the ground after a few hounded thousands miles on them).

My BIL got his CDL probably 10-15 years ago. As I recall it was a couple of months of training and I think some of the cost was covered by his previous employer (can't remember if that was the case). Either way, he got the license and has been consistently employed since then. He drives for a glass company, truck doesn't come home each night, but he's only about 20 minutes from the shop. He's home every night too. He likes the job but as he ages, the weight of the glass he's delivering is playing havoc with his back. He could probably drive for someone else doing something else, he just doesn't like change.

Maybe a CDL driver here on the board can confirm what kind of training is involved.

Bumping just in case...

Thought I had a shoe in from a friends referral for part time and paid well but now hear they are in a hiring freeze:(. That may eventually pan out but I'm willing to do just about anything at this point.

Even side jobs.

Was set to toss papers but then my knee had to give its two cents so I had to call that off for now - and it's super hard on vehicles (did a summer around 23 in between carriers and it was brutal at times on the truck and me).

Über is not an option, I have an air bag light that is related to the passenger side air bag and the wireing harness gets destroyed with the seat moving back and forth - kids tall but moms short (to me :p).

Last time I had it fixed it cost $300 something and only lasted a few months (just passed the Warrenty, go figure).

Hey y'all,

Well, for the next couple of months I'm laid up with torn up cartilage in my knee so I am not very moble.

I can do computer work or anything sitting as long as I don't have to carry more then I can hold in one hand (on a cane if I'm careful and keep it elevated and iced but on crutches if I push it too hard).

I'll even take minimum wage jobs at this point to be able to at least make some money.

I'm seeing the surgeon tomorrow Fri the 12th and will have a little better idea of how long this whole thing will take but 3-4 months is most likely.

Thanks, for any help if you see or hear of anything.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top