JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You are not the first person to say that. What is the back story on the private timber lands?
Sounds like not a lot of people are fans of them...
Well I did open the door... :p How to keep this short....
I just don't think corporate entities should own natural resources. Politics aside, I grew up hunting public lands here it was all I had back then so the idea of paying for better access doesnt make me excited. It sucks because I dont get one every year, public land hunting is hard.

As far as a backstory I can tell you about when most private timber companies here let hunters access for free because they typically voted pro logging. The locked gates showed up when the timber industry lost to the environmentalists anyways. At least thats how I remember it.

Well I did open the door... :p How to keep this short....
I just don't think corporate entities should own natural resources. Politics aside, I grew up hunting public lands here it was all I had back then so the idea of paying for better access doesnt make me excited. It sucks because I dont get one every year, public land hunting is hard.

As far as a backstory I can tell you about when most private timber companies here let hunters access for free because they typically voted pro logging. The locked gates showed up when the timber industry lost to the environmentalists anyways. At least thats how I remember it.
Wow, there is some back story there.
Went to the local OHA meeting last weekend and watched a presentation by Starker forest's. Seems to me they would get filled up QUICK sinca they are one of the few that let hunters in for free...
Really admire their stewardship though...

Wow, there is some back story there.
Went to the local OHA meeting last weekend and watched a presentation by Starker forest's. Seems to me they would get filled up QUICK sinca they are one of the few that let hunters in for free...
Really admire their stewardship though...
The hunting pressure on free private timberlands is another huge turn off for me. I know hunters that do it, and they say a line forms at the gate, when it opens everyone speeds to their spots... (Usually clearcuts) and the slaughter begins on any elk herds caught in the open. Not my style.
Its good that some companies provide free access. L&C Oregon Timber does and they own a LOT of coastal land to hunt. While they still own a natural resource, its good they offer free access. Thats important to the future of hunting.

Wayerhouser owns a massive amount of Oregon lands, and charge expensive fees. I wish hunters would boycott paying that but people want easier hunting with less pressure which I understand. Kinda....

The hunting pressure on free private timberlands is another huge turn off for me. I know hunters that do it, and they say a line forms at the gate, when it opens everyone speeds to their spots... (Usually clearcuts) and the slaughter begins on any elk herds caught in the open. Not my style.
Its good that some companies provide free access. L&C Oregon Timber does and they own a LOT of coastal land to hunt. While they still own a natural resource, its good they offer free access. Thats important to the future of hunting.

Wayerhouser owns a massive amount of Oregon lands, and charge expensive fees. I wish hunters would boycott paying that but people want easier hunting with less pressure which I understand. Kinda....
Where i am from if you want to fill the freezer you have to know someone or pay crazy amounts of money to get on their land. Luckily for me i made a friend who i kick a little bit of cash to in order to guarantee my mule deer for the season.
Sadly I didn't get into hunting until o moved out of OR to CA. Managed to talk the wife into letting me get my lifetime license in CA before we came back here so I'll always have 1 mule deer in the freezer. Until i can no longer take a hunting rifle into that damn communist state.

Where i am from if you want to fill the freezer you have to know someone or pay crazy amounts of money to get on their land.
Yes, its like that in many places and thats what I dont like about corporate buying power buying up the land. Hunting shouldnt be only for the priveledged. What Wayerhouser is charging is rediculous.

Theres a ton of game on public lands here, but its much harder to hunt. If your up for that challenge you wont need your access to private lands to fill your freezer. (Not that I would let that opportunity go if I were you).
Find 3 spots on public land in the same general area and youll start getting into the game. I find I dont have to go far off the road to find sign, let the other hunters push them to you. Easier said than done. The Blacktail bucks are very hard to pattern.

Thanks for all the info, I really do appreciate it.
If you are anywhere near the Salem area and want to meet up for some casual fishing or something shoot me a message.

Thanks for all the info, I really do appreciate it.
If you are anywhere near the Salem area and want to meet up for some casual fishing or something shoot me a message.
Im near Portland so I mostly hunt Wilson or Trask units. Ive hunted as far south as Roseburg and years ago near Newport a few years. I dont fish a whole lot (but have tried, I enjoy a day wading coastal streams for steelhead or cutthroat). Your always welcome to message for more info (I tend to be vague on here publicly)

Last Edited:
Im near Portland so I mostly hunt Wilson or Trask units. Ive hunted as far south as Roseburg and years ago near Newport a few years. I dont fish a whole lot (but have tried, I enjoy a day wading coastal streams for steelhead or cutthroat). Your always welcome to message for more info (I tend to be vague on here publicly)
I can completely understand the vagueness.
That's why i was looking for groups to meet people. Didn't want to be "that Guy" asking for everyone's spots. To me half the fun is locating the game during summer and tracking them to where I will harvest in the fall.

If i manage one of them private access permits I'll be sure to send you a message...

That's why i was looking for groups to meet people. Didn't want to be "that Guy" asking for everyone's spots. To me half the fun is locating the game during summer and tracking them to where I will harvest in the fall.

If i manage one of them private access permits I'll be sure to send you a message...
Something that didn't get mentioned, and a big part of the reason private timber companies put up gates, was because of the human trash that would go deep onto private timber's land, destroy things and leave garbage everywhere.

Your fine. Yiur asking the right questiins and I can tell your knowledgeable to know to put boots on the ground and find your own spots I dont mind sharing if I know places I used to hunt down that way.
The only reason I dont hunt there is distance and ive learned how to get into the deer and elk closer to home but ive taken deer and elk further down yiur way years ago. Last time i gave it a weekend hunt there was still good sign and saw several deer.

Id be curious to learn what your experience is on any free access private timber land.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top