JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Everyone,
Looking for any info anyone is wiling to give so i can attend some meetings from local hunting and fishing groups.
New to the area and want to meet more like minded people instead of coming on here and just asking everyone where to fish and hunt.

I am in the Salem area and ready to put some meat in the freezer.

Any direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Have you looked at OHA?
I have not, Will look more into them soon. Nice to see the turkey talk at the march meeting on the calendar.

1677721292482.png

Aloha, Mark

Hunting in the PNW can be challenging. Out for days and might not even glimpse a single rump hair.

1677723481983.jpeg

Or is that just me(??)

🤣

Last Edited:
Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODF supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODF supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

This is awesome!! Can't tell you how angry it makes me finding areas littered with shot up trash and shells everywhere.
Plan on signing up with the kiddos to go clean up next weekend.

I don't know what your intended fish is, but if you are looking for salmon and steelhead I would highly recommend joining the NW Steelheaders chapter in your area.

I don't know what your intended fish is, but if you are looking for salmon and steelhead I would highly recommend joining the NW Steelheaders chapter in your area.
Looks like a great group. I will check them out and attend a meeting in the near future.
Headed to my first OHF meeting tonight.

I am in the Salem area and ready to put some meat in the freezer.

Any direction will be greatly appreciated.
Salem is in an odd spot ever since the megafires of 2020 to the east of you, hopefully those lands are opening up again... private timber lands to your west... but if you drive a bit farther...

Willamette National Forest to your east, Siuslaw National Forest to your west. Get yourself a National Forest map for either of those and drive into the middle of it and you will be in prime big game habitat. Just dive in.

What game are you after?

edit, ok deer is the obvious one :p

Salem is in an odd spot ever since the megafires of 2020 to the east of you, hopefully those lands are opening up again... private timber lands to your west... but if you drive a bit farther...

Willamette National Forest to your east, Siuslaw National Forest to your west. Get yourself a National Forest map for either of those and drive into the middle of it and you will be in prime big game habitat. Just dive in.

What game are you after?

edit, ok deer is the obvious one :p
Hoping to get an Elk this year, wont be mad if i don't just want to get out and start scouting to see what I can find out there, and get the lay of the land. I have access to some private land down south for my annual Mule deer.

A spring turkey would be nice too...

Would love to bag a black tail eventually but will wait a year or so before that harvest.

Last Edited:
Hoping to get an Elk this year, wont be mad if i don't just want to get out and start scouting to see what I can find out there, and get the lay of the land. I have access to some private land down south for my annual Mule deer.

A spring turkey would be nice too...

Would love to bag a black tail eventually but will wait a year or to before that harvest.
Alsea or McKenzi units would be your closest opportunity for elk from Salem. Either are good but scouting would be essential for success. Western Oregon hunting is hard but learn to navigate the heavy timber and brush and you'll get into more game. If you want a blacktail dont wait, it takes most hunters several years to bag a buck outside of luck. Just dive in.

Alsea or McKenzi units would be your closest opportunity for elk from Salem. Either are good but scouting would be essential for success. Western Oregon hunting is hard but learn to navigate the heavy timber and brush and you'll get into more game. If you want a blacktail dont wait, it takes most hunters several years to bag a buck outside of luck. Just dive in.
Have any experience in the Black Rock area? going to try to get an access permit for that area in May... Then Let the scouting begin...

Have any experience in the Black Rock area? going to try to get an access permit for that area in May... Then Let the scouting begin...
Thats in the Stott Mtn Unit. Not a lot of public lands there but if your applying for private land access then you should do slightly better there than public land hunters.
Ive hunted enough of the north coast range to judge game units, but I wont pay to support private timber land recreation so I cant be more detailed on that specific area or unit.

Thats in the Stott Mtn Unit. Not a lot of public lands there but if your applying for private land access then you should do slightly better there than public land hunters.
Ive hunted enough of the north coast range to judge game units, but I wont pay to support private timber land recreation so I cant be more detailed on that specific area or unit.
You are not the first person to say that. What is the back story on the private timber lands?
Sounds like not a lot of people are fans of them...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top