JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm having a problem with a Mosin Nagant 91/30 that can barely hit paper at 100 yards. Maybe a counterbore will help, but i don't know.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith who knows Mosins, preferably in the Salem area?

TIA!

Lol, it would probably be cheaper just to buy a new one, they only cost like $80-100 or so.

EDIT: btw, when you do, this time check the bore to make sure it's got decent looking rifling. Easy way to do this is go to a lighted area, open the bolt, and stick a white piece of paper in the chamber. Then you can look down the bore, the paper will reflect light up into it so you can see.

Assuming you've looked at the obvious stuff...action screws tight, cross-bolt present and intact, etc...have you slugged the bore? If the riflng is worn, you might be shooting a much smaller bullet down a much bigger bore. Has this particular rifle been modified in any way? Do you clean it from the barrel end?

Keith (I know your shooting technique is pretty good, so I'm sure its not that ;) )

Well, this is my Century repro sniper, which cost me almost $500. I only shot it at 50 yards to sight in the scope, and then didn't shoot it for the longest time.

I went out recently to see what it can do... and guess what? It can't do anything.:( At 100 yards, it only hit paper randomly.

A while ago i wanted to sell it; i'm glad i didn't, there's somehting wrong with it.

I'm hoping a counterbore could fix it, but i don't know enough about gunsmithing and these kind of issues.

I suggest that you try attaching the bayonet before shooting it. The bayonet often times changes the POI fairly dramatically. Counter boring the rifle, if you can find someone to do it, probably would cost the price of a new (ie used, refurb) rifle.

//

Your post came in before mine. I didn't understand it was a sniper. I'm not sure what to do in this case.

OK, shoot it with iron sights . If the problem persists, its the rifle. If the problem goes away, you have a problem with the scope and/or mount. Is the thumbscrew more than just thumbtight? It needs to be. Are the elevation screws snug against the mount? Incredibly, the turrets might be moving in between shots if they are excessively lubed inside. Also, if this is an older reproduction, you might have a cracked or broken base or mount...some of these were made with crappy pot metal. Use a magnet to see if its pot metal or steel.

Keith (I picked up two WWII originals in the last few weeks...range tests this weekend---woohoo)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews