JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, we recently celebrated the 4th of July by picking up a couple handguns. A Ruger 22/45 Lite and H&K VP9 (awaiting delivery on the vp9)

These are our first handguns so I'm a bit clueless on what grain is appropriate for these two firearms. On the websites, I did not see any information on grain.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Your 22/45 Lite will shoot just about any .22 you want to put through it. 40 gr is fairly standard, but in these times of .22 ammo shortage you should just buy whatever you can find, other than Colibri's.

Standard 9mm plinking rounds are 115 gr which should work well in most 9mm handguns; I use Remington UMC. There are some guns that have a problem running the lighter 115 gr loads, with your VP9 being new it won't be known for a little while if they have a problem or not. If they do you can get either 124 or 147 gr loads; they are the other two common ones to find on the shelf.

Last Edited:
Ok cool, so pretty much any store bought ammo is fine. I was thinking maybe there was a certain chamber limit similar to .223 and 5.56 rounds. I wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

Hey all, we recently celebrated the 4th of July by picking up a couple handguns. A Ruger 22/45 Lite and H&K VP9 (awaiting delivery on the vp9)

These are our first handguns so I'm a bit clueless on what grain is appropriate for these two firearms. On the websites, I did not see any information on grain.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
The owners manuals sometimes make suggestions on what type of ammo to buy and what they don't recommend.

For 9mm, whatever you can find should work just fine...unless you develope a preference for a certain grain. I prefer 147gr myself and will buy that exclusively once I use up all my 115gr and 124gr (which might take awhile, I have a lot!)

speaking of
The owners manuals sometimes make suggestions on what type of ammo to buy and what they don't recommend.

For 9mm, whatever you can find should work just fine...unless you develope a preference for a certain grain. I prefer 147gr myself and will buy that exclusively once I use up all my 115gr and 124gr (which might take awhile, I have a lot!)

Speaking of... do you have any fav brands for plinking? I have a gen 4 G19 that I am breaking in.. Spent the last few days chasing 9mm ammo around Marion and Linn Co.. finally Sportsman's in Salem had some in this morning. I picked up some Blazer Brass in 115 gr, they had some Speer Lawman too, HSM remanufactured stuff. Aquila in 124 grain. I was warned to avoid the Winchester due to inconsistent loads. Prior to this I have always shot .40 and haven't had trouble getting hands on whatever we wanted.

speaking of

Speaking of... do you have any fav brands for plinking? I have a gen 4 G19 that I am breaking in.. Spent the last few days chasing 9mm ammo around Marion and Linn Co.. finally Sportsman's in Salem had some in this morning. I picked up some Blazer Brass in 115 gr, they had some Speer Lawman too, HSM remanufactured stuff. Aquila in 124 grain. I was warned to avoid the Winchester due to inconsistent loads. Prior to this I have always shot .40 and haven't had trouble getting hands on whatever we wanted.

I like Remington UMC, and Bi-Mart almost always has some in stock.

Never had an issue with cheap 9mm - win, rem, federal, blazer etc.

Same with .22lr - it all goes bang.

For plinking - the cheapest ammo you can find, buy it in advance to avoid over spending out of desperation.

And ya, you can find .40 all day long at any store - the kick of a .45 and the size of a 9mm, it's no wonder lol.

Love BiMart! I've been in 7 times in the last 3 weeks.. Albany has been out of most of the 9mm for a bit - since before the 4th anyway.. they have told me.. we don't know what or when we will get in. They said sometimes they randomly get in the UMC, but maybe one box. They just got in more Winchester. We shoot the UMC in the .40 and are happy with it.. I'd buy it for sure if I could find it. Do you have a better BiMart? Is there a password.. I heard a rumor about that. Special People. Behind the counter stuff. I could hit Stayton or Corvallis?

As for the .22LR - watch out for stuff which is "too low" in cost -
some of that will only work in fixed actions - like a Cricket - single shot.

If you are not sure, ask the seller.

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

Here are examples:
500 round brick - 22 LR Colibri powderless low noise ammo with 20 grain bullet - NOT FOR SEMI AUTO$0.08/rd[$39.95]in stock [SGAmmo]

<broken link removed> 1 hour ago$0.09/rd[$474.99]in stock [AmmoFast]

And congratulations on getting your first handguns, what a great way to celebrate Independence Day.

Drooling over the VP9. Post a review when you get it. HK's first striker fired pistol.
I'm probably not the best to do a review on it lol only my first handguns ever =) I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe I can review based on a newbies opinion.

Love BiMart! I've been in 7 times in the last 3 weeks.. Albany has been out of most of the 9mm for a bit - since before the 4th anyway.
Cabelas in Springfield seemed to have a ton of PMC 9mm in stock last I was in (8th) I bought a couple boxes of that and a box of remington .22 online when they had the $10 off $50 or more promo.

Last Edited:
speaking of

I have used just about everything without an issue, even the WWB.
However, now I only order online from Freedom Munitions. They have good prices and
often run specials; usually free shipping. Check out their website; if they are out of what you
need just keep checking back as they replenish their stock frequently.
I have bought from them for the last two years and they are reliable and make a good product.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top