JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I have been shooting a Remington 700 chambered in 308 win and am wanting to get into another long gun platform but in a different caliber. I would like to hear your guys suggestions and experiences.

Looking for a bolt action, don't care about cost of ammo, effective distance a plus+

What are you wanting to do with your new rifle / caliber?
Hunting , punching holes in paper , hitting that gong way the heck out there?
What do you call effective distance?

The .308 cartridge is a pretty versatile cartridge. Have you considered a different type of rifle in .308 for what you are wanting?
As in a heavy barrel Varmint Special as once offered by Remington , or maybe a lightweight model from their custom shop, etc...
Again depends on just what you are wanting to do with your rifle.
Andy

I have a 30 caliber (mines a 30-06) and then bought a 338 Win Mag for a bigger heavier rifle. It does everything the '06 does only with a hammer. I wanted something open country flat shooting and looked for a 25-06 or a 270 Win. but settled on a 7mm Rem Mag. Basically I looked at the type of shooing I do (hunting) and picked what I thought met those needs, the 30-06 is for western Oregon Deer, the 338 is for Elk, and the 7mm should work for Antelope. Because these are hunting rifles and even though I reload and only shoot my ammo I wanted calibers I could buy off the shelf if I had to. If I was to varmint hunt I'd look at something .22 caliber.

The 6mm has a large case capacity--54.6 vs 52.8 and therefore is capable of higher velocity. The 6mm can be loaded so that it's velocities and performance are closer to a 25-06 than 243. The heavier the bullet the more the 6mm shines. It also produces much more uniform pressure from round to round and lot to lot than 243 especially with 100 gr bullets. The 243 can exhibit odd pressure spikes with heavy bullets in some rifles. The 6mm typically does not. The 6mm is a superior cartridge in every respect except for the fact that it is a little longer. If they made an action designed to fit it, there would be no comparison. Also a problem you run into with 6mm and standard reamers (standard throat) is that when you load the bullets out long enough to touch the lands, you probably are too long for the magazine. Early 6mms had slow twist barrels and even late guns with a 1:10 twist may not stabilize an ultra long bullet like a swift scirroco. If you want to be sure to stabilize everything I would go 1/9. As always, to get the best accuracy fire-form your brass and then neck size. If you're going to buy off-the-shelf ammo, get a 243.
But then again, it's apparently a has-been.;)

Can I tack onto this discussion since it's slightly related, if somewhat opposite?

I don't have any rifle and I'm looking for my first. I was going to make a post but this post might do as well. This isn't a question about the ballistic differences. The literature is out there and I've read it plenty.

Could you live without a .308 rifle today and feel okay with it? With rounds such as the 6.5CM and other calibers that are newer in technology but not quite as widespread (though gaining), would a new target shooter/hunter miss the ubiquitous .308 (or .30-06 if we are being fair)? For me, it's hard to make that judgement call.

Last Edited:
The 6mm has a large case capacity--54.6 vs 52.8 and therefore is capable of higher velocity. The 6mm can be loaded so that it's velocities and performance are closer to a 25-06 than 243. The heavier the bullet the more the 6mm shines. It also produces much more uniform pressure from round to round and lot to lot than 243 especially with 100 gr bullets. The 243 can exhibit odd pressure spikes with heavy bullets in some rifles. The 6mm typically does not. The 6mm is a superior cartridge in every respect except for the fact that it is a little longer. If they made an action designed to fit it, there would be no comparison. Also a problem you run into with 6mm and standard reamers (standard throat) is that when you load the bullets out long enough to touch the lands, you probably are too long for the magazine. Early 6mms had slow twist barrels and even late guns with a 1:10 twist may not stabilize an ultra long bullet like a swift scirroco. If you want to be sure to stabilize everything I would go 1/9. As always, to get the best accuracy fire-form your brass and then neck size. If you're going to buy off-the-shelf ammo, get a 243.
But then again, it's apparently a has-been.;)
Well you might as well get a 6mm-06.. but no one does that either.

Can I tack onto this discussion since it's slightly related, if somewhat opposite?

I don't have any rifle and I'm looking for my first. I was going to make a post but this post might do as well. This isn't a question about the ballistic differences. The literature is out there and I've read it plenty.

Could you live without a .308 rifle today and feel okay with it? With rounds such as the 6.5CM and other calibers that are newer in technology but not quite as widespread (though gaining), would a new target shooter/hunter miss the ubiquitous .308 (or .30-06 if we are being fair)? For me, it's hard to make that judgement call.

Great post Antonio. Looks like you have been doing your homework, even though you have never had a rifle. I started out on a 30-06 when I was 12 years old, that old warhorse cartridge has been golden since day one. However, if I were to suggest a cartridge for a newbie it would have to be a 30-06, 270 win or 308 win. These are proven performers and have all been around for a long time. Ammo is fairly inexpensive and very abundant. The other day, after hunting elk, I stopped at an old gas station/convenient store out in the sticks and they had ammo for sale in a little display case under the cash register. The ammo they had was 270, 30-06, 30-30 and 308 Winchester. Sorry, I know the 6.5 Creedmoor is a highly sought after cartridge these days, but it's pretty hard to find in this neck of the woods. I've also contemplated buying a 260 Remington , but the local gunshops never have any of that ammo. One word of advice, is don't get hung up on a cartridge just because it's made on the short case. Short fat cases are not the end all to be all and neither are short actions. Keep in mind, the Tikka T3 rifles are all built on one action length. Kind of like the old pre 64 model 70's and that's not a bad thing. I've never viewed this as a hindrance, but also grew up using a sporterized m1917 and remember being perfectly content even though you can chamber that action for a 408 Cheytec and still have room :p. I believe picking the right cartridge should be up to the individual. The same goes for picking a specific rifle. I also suggest trying out as many different rifles and cartridge combos as one can before deciding on a specific cartridge. Know what you intend to do with it. Do you hunt? Are you going to mainly target shoot. How many rounds do you intend to shoot in a day? Your budget (for ammo mainly)? Remember, most times keeping it simple is the way to go. Good luck with it...

I think the .243 is sort of a Dark Horse in the shooting world. It's got so much going for it, and yet it seems to fall by the way side a lot of the time! I am one of those fan boys of this chambering, it's got too many merits to not be a fan! The trick is to use it as it was meant and not ask of it more then that! For much of the long distance shooting most will ever be capable of, the mighty .243 will more then meet this need, and for hunting, most deer will never know the difference. For even more fun and greater range potential and hunting performance, the "OLD" 6.5X55 Swede has it all in spades! Not particularly hard to find ammo for, but it's a re loaders dream! Wanna shoot long distances in a good stiff wind, not much better for buckin said wind then a 6.5 mm! In my mind, A Tikka Super Varmint in 6.5X55 Swede would be just about perfection, but I got mine in .30/06 for mountain hunting! Wife has hers in .243 and couldn't be happier with it's performance! Just some food for thought.

Ura-Ki, sounds like you need a Tikka swede.... I know I've thought about pulling the trigger a time or 3 on the swede myself and the T3 would be damn near perfection...

Great post Antonio. Looks like you have been doing your homework, even though you have never had a rifle. I started out on a 30-06 when I was 12 years old, that old warhorse cartridge has been golden since day one. However, if I were to suggest a cartridge for a newbie it would have to be a 30-06, 270 win or 308 win. These are proven performers and have all been around for a long time. Ammo is fairly inexpensive and very abundant. The other day, after hunting elk, I stopped at an old gas station/convenient store out in the sticks and they had ammo for sale in a little display case under the cash register. The ammo they had was 270, 30-06, 30-30 and 308 Winchester. Sorry, I know the 6.5 Creedmoor is a highly sought after cartridge these days, but it's pretty hard to find in this neck of the woods. I've also contemplated buying a 260 Remington , but the local gunshops never have any of that ammo. One word of advice, is don't get hung up on a cartridge just because it's made on the short case. Short fat cases are not the end all to be all and neither are short actions. Keep in mind, the Tikka T3 rifles are all built on one action length. Kind of like the old pre 64 model 70's and that's not a bad thing. I've never viewed this as a hindrance, but also grew up using a sporterized m1917 and remember being perfectly content even though you can chamber that action for a 408 Cheytec and still have room :p. I believe picking the right cartridge should be up to the individual. The same goes for picking a specific rifle. I also suggest trying out as many different rifles and cartridge combos as one can before deciding on a specific cartridge. Know what you intend to do with it. Do you hunt? Are you going to mainly target shoot. How many rounds do you intend to shoot in a day? Your budget (for ammo mainly)? Remember, most times keeping it simple is the way to go. Good luck with it...

I'm not a hunter yet. Would like to start with deer after doing some target shooting. I could see myself starting out with a 2-3 boxes a week for the few weeks just due to excitement. After that the cost could make me taper to every other or every third week just depending on how I feel I'm progressing as a shooter and how much I backslide in accuracy. As it stands now, I go shooting once a week doing pistol stuff.

Obviously, just about anything above a 5.56 will take deer. It's just preference at this point. If the hunting bug got me and I decided to get something larger, I wouldn't have an issue with that. It's literally a question of would it serve me to have at least one rifle that has a super ubiquitous caliber, or just go straight into the new tech? I probably lean towards the .308 before the .30-06 just because I might get an AR10 or some sort of other .308 rifle and I would prefer to consolidate where possible if I were to get one of the older rounds.

The 308 is an excellent cartridge. I also wouldn't discount the 243 like some of these other guys have said. It's also a damn good cartridge and you can shoot one of those all day long and not develop a flinch... You can move up to a bigger cartridge if you decide you want to go for bigger game like elk. However, a 243 has also been known to work on elk, you just have to be a little more selective with your shots...and make sure you use a very good controlled expansion bullet.. I'm not a huge fan of the 308 Winchester. It just never tripped my trigger for some reason. I tried it in about 4 different rifles and just couldn't learn to like it. I'm too biased toward the bigger 30-06 I guess. Not a damn thing wrong with the smaller 308 win though. It's really proven itself as a great hunting round and is an exceptionally accurate cartridge. Hard to go wrong with darn near any cartridge now days with the excellent bullets being made now.

Last Edited:
I'm not a hunter yet. Would like to start with deer after doing some target shooting. I could see myself starting out with a 2-3 boxes a week for the few weeks just due to excitement. After that the cost could make me taper to every other or every third week just depending on how I feel I'm progressing as a shooter and how much I backslide in accuracy. As it stands now, I go shooting once a week doing pistol stuff.

Obviously, just about anything above a 5.56 will take deer. It's just preference at this point. If the hunting bug got me and I decided to get something larger, I wouldn't have an issue with that. It's literally a question of would it serve me to have at least one rifle that has a super ubiquitous caliber, or just go straight into the new tech? I probably lean towards the .308 before the .30-06 just because I might get an AR10 or some sort of other .308 rifle and I would prefer to consolidate where possible if I were to get one of the older rounds.

I am a reloader and I like to use oddball calibers, or at least tailor my loads beyond what I could get off the shelf.

HOWEVER, I am never without my backup rifle when on a hunting trip. One bomb-proof rifle that I can hunt any big game with from 0 to 400 yards. Just simple and effective. A Ruger M77 Mark II All-Weather with a Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36 with standard duplex reticle. 30-06 of course....and it shoots Remmy Core-Lokt 165gr minute of deer.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top