JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not a dick...I already have a couple of 9 and a 45, my son has the fn 40 and I want a dedicated bedside gun and 40 seems to be a good choice of power and round capacity.

Not a dick...I already have a couple of 9 and a 45, my son has the fn 40 and I want a dedicated bedside gun and 40 seems to be a good choice of power and round capacity.

I'm a huge .40 fan, it's kind of like a 30-06 to me, very versatile in ammo weight. But for a night stand handgun a .45 ACP is hard to beat. Glock 21 jumps to mind and it holds 13 rounds. If I were in a gun fight I'd want a 21. For carry I choose the 23 or 27 as it is slimmer and doesn't print as bad. I carried a 30 for a few years but it was just to thick for my liking. Anyway, good luck on your hunt.

my sig 45 is what is on my night stand now, but it doesnt have a rail and i dont have a 40 so that is some of the reasoning behind it.
going to nw armory today to look at a few 40's.

Watch James Yeagers video on Youtube.. He kind of has a point.
Don't get me wrong I think one should own a pistol in every caliber. And I like the 40, But if a 9mm can't do it, transition to your primary or get out of dodge.

I have a XD 40 sub-compact for my EDC. I load the 9 round in my pistol and carry a spare 12 round mag. For home use you probably need a 4" or larger barrel. Perhaps a XD 40 4" pistol. I do have a Streamlight TLR-3 that I can put on my SC for night use.

Go to to the gun shop and see what fits you best. I prefer my S&W M&P 40, I have shot a lot of guns in my time but I think the M&P is the smoothest shooting gun I have ever shot. But thats me and what one man likes another man may not like so its best to go try some out and see what feels good to you GOOD LUCK

I have been looking at the sw mp's and glock 22/23 leaning more toward the glock just for its simplicity. And more toward the 22 because of the larger grip, the 23 finger groves just don't feel right.

I cant believe no one has mentioned a Ruger Sr 40! Very nice gun. I have a 9mm but exactly the same. Perfect for what your looking for. I personally choose the Ruger (cause I bought it new) And wanted the $$ to goto American company and ruger is awesome. Had I bought used I prob would have gone Glock but WA doesnt have a way to run serial numbers and verify your not buying a stolen gun plus when I was looking I couldnt find a used Glock or Ruger that I liked and was worth it to me. So I went new and it was totally meant to be lol it was test fired at the factory on my Birthday!

Either way good luck with your decision I hope you consider ruger in your selection they really have a great gun for the money. Also you can get the Sr 40c model for more concealment it also accepts the sr 40 fullsize mags and has a rail on it.

For the past 13 years my main off-duty carry gun is my Glock 23. 14 rounds in a compact size weapon that is easy to conceal and carry. I also have the Glock 35 that I pack once in a while. Actually, the last time I carried the G35 my wife and I were in Sam's Valley in Oregon. The place looked like LV-223, the planet Prometheus landed on. I almost had to pull it on a meth head scumbag that was threatening us with bodily harm. Oh well, that's off-topic and a tale for another time . . .

So far everyone has hit up all of the ones that are good recommendations.
XD/M 3.8
Sig P226
S&W M&P in 40
Glock 22 or 23
Beretta 96A1
FNP 40

The key really is to find one that fits you hand and is comfortable to shoot. That is much more important than anything. While the price between these varies significantly, if you train the way you should (2 times a month for at least 100 rounds each time) in 2 years you will spend more on ammo than the firearm.

Go to a store, or range and try everything. Get a feel for them. Really try them. Then pick the firearm that fits you.

Looking for a .40 high cap at least 12+ rds. This won't be a carry so size won't matter. Looking for more of a bedside pistol so a rail for a light is a must aswell. I was thinking a sig 229 but looking for sugestions. Price will be a factor but not a huge one, more along the lines of best bang for your buck kinda thing!

Borrow or rent first. Make sure that you shoot the exact caliber/model/size you intend to acquire. Owning bigger and smaller pistols (of bigger and smaller calibers), I bought a 40 based on research - figuring that I'd make adjustments and like it. I did not, and ended up trading it away. No loss, but an eye opening experience. You're certainly ahead of the game by already knowing it won't be called into "double duty" - home and carry.

My favorite .40's that I own (which meet that description) are in order my Beretta PX4 Storm, my SIG P250c, and my Glock 23.
PP I noticed you said in the poo colored glock vid that you had a few 23's, do you have any 22's? A few 23's for what reason?
I know a lot of police agencies choose this as their primary, actually homeland security is switching to glock from sigs, so I know it will be a good pistol.
So I'm really leaning toward the glock 22, like I said it just just feels better than the 23 to me.
Not to mention I have never owned a glock, shot lots of them just never owned one. I tend to buy more aesthetically pleasing weapons but this one will be that fat chick you banged that you don't want your friends to know about lol!

I love my Glock 23. I've carried it for 14 years and put thousands of rounds through it without a single complication. I recently picked up a Storm Lake 40-9 conversion barrel to save on practice costs and I fell in love with it all over again. I picked up a newer gen 3 to turn into a nightstand gun, and the new handle feels so good I'm tempted to turn it into my carry piece. If you get a glock, I highly recomend getting one of those conversion barrels.

I do not like the feel of Gen 4 Glocks and I'll never purchase one.

PP I noticed you said in the poo colored glock vid that you had a few 23's, do you have any 22's? A few 23's for what reason?
I know a lot of police agencies choose this as their primary, actually homeland security is switching to glock from sigs, so I know it will be a good pistol.
So I'm really leaning toward the glock 22, like I said it just just feels better than the 23 to me.
Not to mention I have never owned a glock, shot lots of them just never owned one. I tend to buy more aesthetically pleasing weapons but this one will be that fat chick you banged that you don't want your friends to know about lol!
I prefer the G23 because of the grip size and angle. Full sized Glocks are uncomfortable to me. I have a few because they serve different uses throughout the home and cars.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top