JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That was a lot to think about, hit me up with questions in a PM or on this thread.

Added:

Looking for Modern firearms deer and Westside Elk.

Last Edited:
What unit do you usually go Joe?
I want to try going around the Indian Heaven area next year.
I usually go with another member here but our schedules are always screwed up with young kids.

I won't know until later this year, but I may be able to get out.

I use to love hunting, back in the days my dad was still around. He loved hunting. Since he passed, my rifles have since retired. I liked the kill shot, just everything after I did not. Way too much work for my tastes. I got a few pairs of leather boots I can toss on BBQ. Pour sauce on. Grass fed for me, please. Git R Done

Washugal isn't bad, I'm just getting tired of hunting in a sea of orange.

Some jackwagon spilling out if the bar is going to make me his trophy.

I've been seeing too many people mixing alcohol with hunting.

Not meaning to add negative vibes to the thread, but Elk hunting for the past 10 years, is an "at risk" sport. Grass fed for me, thank you.

Yeah it gets pretty sketchy in the woods, which is why I wouldn't mind having more options for a hunting partner.
The thought of going alone makes me think twice.
No way I could haul an elk out be myself any how.

Game meat sits better on my system then even grass fed, no antibiotic beef.

Bison is better then beef but at about $10/lb for ground is hard to pay.

I asked around my social network but most people aren't all that excited with sharing and I know very few hunters personally.

In fact, I'd never even thought of participating until I ran into a wall with asking around.

This will be my third year out and I'm starting to get a little ansy about actually bring some meat home.

I've come to the conclusion that the people that are successful every year live further out of town and either hunt on thier own property or have a relative that has property.

I'm going to keep trying though. If nothing else it gets me out moving and motivated to try and be in the best shape I can at the end of summer.

Any guarantee if I commit as a faithful partner, that hair is in the truck?

You pretty much answered that with a previous reply to CC, with, "no luck in two years."

What I was meanin is I purty much like a guarantee they'll be meat in the back of the truck when I go. :D That's hard to do if you don't know, haven't known or scouted the area for some time.

You pretty much answered that with a previous reply to CC, with, "no luck in two years."

What I was meanin is I purty much like a guarantee they'll be meat in the back of the truck when I go. :D That's hard to do if you don't know, haven't known or scouted the area for some time.

Yea, unfortunately my hunting area is still 90 min away from my house and I don't live up there so I scout it out as much as I can during the summer and have ran into edible critters out of season but then archery and mussel loaders come out and I believe they chase the game further up into the hills.

I have had a couple of people offer up their own hunting areas for me to come in and have a higher chance for success, so I will be doing that this spring to start to get familiar with those areas also.

I'm still no Hunter but I can repeat what has been told to me over and over again: There is never a guarantee you'll go home with meat so enjoy the experience and be thankful if you are successful.

Private lands are the way to go, for sure. Myself, I always liked hunting in the somewhat upper elevations where I would walk the ridges. Many times when coming out to a landing where a logging tower had been, there was a vehicle. I would back on out and head out the road a ways, and stop. Most of the time the vehicle would leave (road hunters) within 10-15 minutes, and I'd drive in. I can't tell you how many times I bagged a nice deer that the others did not see.

I just like getting in the woods. Meat or not. I hate spending money to not have something to show for it, but going out in the woods is the best medicine for me.
The old saying, a bad day hunting/fishing is better than a good day working has always been true for me.

Getting out hiking, sucking fresh air, and being away from society's BS is such a needed release for me.
That's my therapy.

And if I happen to get some yummy food, that just a plus.

This will be my third year out and I'm starting to get a little ansy about actually bring some meat home.

I've come to the conclusion that the people that are successful every year live further out of town and either hunt on thier own property or have a relative that has property.

absolutely true. The people that brag they get one every year usually have access to private property or have been hunting the same spot for many years.

I'm like you Joe, I live in the city and don't have access to private lands. I've been hunting since a teen and have done OK but don't get one every year. Haven't got a deer in the last 6 years in fact but done ok with elk... deer are much harder. Absolutely essential is scouting and find where the animals are using. If you cant get out scouting buy 2 or 3 trail cameras and put em out come June and check them every 30 days right up till opening day. Keep moving them till you find them loaded with pics then hunt that area.

Selection_001.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top