JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hoss, your going to have a ton of fun with that! Cant wait to see how she runs, and your impressions "that new fangled automatic" fighting gun! Once she gets broken it, it will be interesting to see the changes you decide on! Until then, run it like your life depend on it,and see if that doesn't prove to you just how good the 1911 really is!
Thanks! I've seen so many 1911 custom parts on the different gun parts site over the last 10 years, I've been very intrigued at getting a gun that could be a really gratifying ongoing project, yet usable for edc (once the new upgrades are fully functional and familiar/trained with). And it's exciting to have a piece that is historically significant, yet completely modern. Millions of GI's can't be wrong!

That my friend is the true beauty of the 1911! 105 years and running, the 1911 has proven it self time and time again! I always wonder which of the many designs out there will still be running in 100 years! Beretta would probably still be there, maybe! The others? Just wait until you start building 1911's your self! The frame kits and jigs are reasonable and a good starting point for some of the nicest custom pistols you could ever want! Once you have built a few and learned the in's and out's of the 1911 platform, the limits of your imagination are the only limits to that design! I guess you could say I am a huge fan now! BTW, I carried one in combat and it was the only service pistol that could handle the environment with out failure! I ran it completely dry with no lube what so ever! All were factory Skunkworks Colt Delta Elite's! I currently run two 2011 series 1911 double stack pistols as my carry fighting guns. One is the STI frame full size in 10 mm and the other is a compact STI frame in.45. Both I built and tuned for carry use, and both are more then reliable enough for daily use! I even took the full size through a serious run and gun, advanced training course and it was one of the very few the instructors had ever seen make it through the entire course with zero failures! As should be expected by any 1911! Most that fail are ether operator error, or failure to fully break in and use of poor quality ammo!

A Springfield Mil Spec was my first pistol. That's a really good price! I've been seeing them in the $600 range or just under.

It was a great gun, and I only parted with it because I decided I needed more bells and whistles. Mine had zero feeding issues. None of my Springfields have. If you're okay with the features it has (and doesn't have) I would definitely recommend a Mil Spec, especially at that price point.

So now I'm thinking I like the adjustable target sights available on the range master model, as that's an upgrade I would very likely make, and to buy that sight set and have the front milled to accept the front sight (and risk of it being done poorly) might cost the same as a range master new. There's one that might be available here, and Bi-Mart typically can order different models of manufacturers they already carry, so I'm going make an inquiry. I'm already getting hooked in!

Well, if the destination is already decided then really no point in talking about anything else. I'll just say the best out-of-the-box 1911 I've ever shot was a friend's Ruger SR1911.

I had to spend about $800 to make my Colt 1991-A1 run the way I wanted it to run. In general I consider a type 1911 to be a project piece as a hobby, other than that SR1911, which was perhaps a fluke that it is that good.

So now I'm thinking I like the adjustable target sights available on the range master model, as that's an upgrade I would very likely make, and to buy that sight set and have the front milled to accept the front sight (and risk of it being done poorly) might cost the same as a range master new. There's one that might be available here, and Bi-Mart typically can order different models of manufacturers they already carry, so I'm going make an inquiry. I'm already getting hooked in!

The Range Officer is another great gun for the money! And about getting hooked....you won't stop with one. Especially if it's this bad already! You'll be on to full custom in no time ;)

Believe me, I've already been pricing mill vices and 80% lowers. I figure for what building a gun off an 80% lower will add up to (including up front investments in mill vice, bits, jig, etc) versus a $500 SA 1911, which seems to be in the top 3 choices for price and features, that would be a good intro (tell me if you think this is wrong).
If I'm theoretically using the Mil Spec SA for EDC, than the combat sights might actually a good pick. With normal/factory JHP rounds, reviews say it is (remarkably?) accurate out of the box. Additionally it sounds like SA customer service would fix it if it wasn't (and I haven't seen if the rear sight is drift-able at least).
I'm going to do some price shopping locally for a range master, but still go get the mil spec in my hands.

Man, I sure know how to make a simple decision more complicated!

I hate to keep driving up your price, but if you're looking for a complete package for carry, a decent option is a Springfield Loaded. Night sights, beavertail grip safety, yada yada yada. They can be had for around $700 if you look, maybe a little higher. Worth a look!

+1 for a true combat gun right out of the box! How Ever, Modern conveniences like a beaver tail grip safety, combat hammer, and Tritum or fiber optic night sights ( true tritum sights for night work) make a truly stunning Fighting Hand Gun out of an all ready steller gun! Adjustable sights are only useful for range work and add a complication that actually hurts fighting prowess. Any of the Novac night sights would be awesome, especially the ledge sight! for building your first fighting gun, I would go this route. For one you build later you decide what you want based on experience gained with this first one! Heiny and Novac make sight upgrades to help transform a stock gun into a custom! I would still go basic mil spec and up grade from there! If you are looking for a really good basis to build from, a Rock Island might be a better deal, and They are pretty good as is, and really come into there own when customized, from there a Para Ordinance may better serve your needs! My humble advice is to start with a Rock Island and customize from there! OR a Remington R-1 or Ruger, but you pay more for basically the same thing!

One of the best Fighting Guns to ever come from a Factory was the Colt EXE or now XSE upgraded with Tritum night sights! That gun spawned many others up to the Delta's. Many still consider it to be the best! I see them for around $700 to $900 on line! colt1911xse.jpg
This was the first of a life time love of all things 1911 for me, and still a serious carry/Fighting Pistol! No need to up grade or modify this one!

Well now this is embarrassing: the gun I thought was a SA Mil Spec 1911 turned out to be RIA FS 1911 . . . yeah . . . :s0092: . . . what I may really need is a pair of glasses. I swore I saw the crossed cannons on the slide, but alas it was a Rock Island for $429, not $492. I don't even think that's a good price! BUT, after all the input here I'm set on spending what I can on quality out of the box, and I'm pretty sure I want target sights as I've really gotten used to having that feature on my other pistols. I found a SA Mil Spec in stock at the Medford Sportsman's Warehouse for $649, and a Range Officer online for $747. I also put in an inquiry for availability and price for a Range Master with Bi Mart, and should find out tomorrow. Local gun shop charges $25 for transfer from online shop, and BGC which is pretty good for around here, and they're reputable. At one time I would of settled for the RIA, but not after looking at Remington's, Ruger's and Springfields, and all the advice here.
So, the saga continues, but I'll know more tomorrow.
Thanks again to all!

P.S. Why I'm pretty set on a Springfield, (however irrationally) is: I think Ruger is a quality manufacturer, but disappointed in some of their parts policies, customer service, and a few of their cowardly political positions, and I'm just butt hurt about what Remington did to the Marlin name and quality, and they've become too big for their britches in my opinion. The quality, reputability, and customer service available for the price gives me confidence in buying a Springfield. For what it's worth.

Last Edited:
RIA full size 1911. I've done trigger jobs, and fit a new bbl bushing, from the ransom rest it would print nice little clover leafs at 50'. Some of them shoot extremely well!

I have always been a 1911 fan, I own a few "only 7 1911's" My dad taught me how to shoot with one when I was 7 years old. He was in the Navy WW-II and Nam. He still has his issued 1911 that thing has seen some action! He is 96 years old now still drives, drinks " not at the same time" and still can shoot that old 45. I know I would not want to get in a gun fight with him. He also has a CCW and packs that 1911 everyday:) Oh and welcome to the 1911 crowd, that S.A. will be a fine shooter. RIA is another fine 1911 base gun for about the same price. It has a few goods on it too.

SA Range Officer has been purchased, and will soonly be en route to my local FFL dealer. The excitement builds . . .
Friend has a Blackhawk Serpa CQC Level 2 retention holster, and I'm inclined toward it. I've had a leather GALCO FLETCH high ride/thumb break for my Ruger P85 for 10+ years, but like the idea of releasing the retention with my trigger finger which is going to the frame already. Anyone have input on this holster, or something better notwithstanding personal preference (if that's possible)?

Your holster desires need to take into account where and how you wish to carry! Remember, this is a full size, so not all options can work! Personally, I have been through half a dozen or so trying to figure out where and how I am most comfortable carrying a full size! These days, I carry Cross draw with a serious forward cant ( gunfighter style) and it works for me very well! Before that, I had a high ride right side which put it right under my elbow/above the belt! I have also found some times a shoulder rig works best!

I have one of the original "Mil-Spec" 1911's from the mid 80's. Probably 20-30,000 rounds down range. My first competition pistol for action pistol games. It has been modified quite a bit and rebuilt twice except for the barrel slide and frame. I do regret having it re-blued though, honest wear on a firearm is real beauty!

It still shoots to POA inside 3"s at 25 yards. My guns have gotten much more sophisticated since then including a really nice R/O 45ACP and Target 45ACP and Target 9mm.

I still enjoy shooting the old work horse too.

Go for it you won't be disappointed, to be ecstatic get the R/O!

All the best,

John, Retired LEO

Last Edited:
Your holster desires need to take into account where and how you wish to carry! Remember, this is a full size, so not all options can work! Personally, I have been through half a dozen or so trying to figure out where and how I am most comfortable carrying a full size! These days, I carry Cross draw with a serious forward cant ( gunfighter style) and it works for me very well! Before that, I had a high ride right side which put it right under my elbow/above the belt! I have also found some times a shoulder rig works best!
I think it'll be an easier transition than most, as I have been carrying a full sized semi auto for 10+ years. I really like the forward cant of the galco fletch, as well as the high ride, so I probably won't stray too far from that. I think I can rule out anything kydex, but as I have 7 (or more maybe) holsters of all types for my Ruger, I'll likely have a small selection for the 1911 as well. Thankfully, my nice drop leg tactical is for a full size auto, as well as the old stand-by Uncle Mike's sidekick, so they'll work for both. I'm considering the Galco Combat Master which is open topped. Although a snug fitting open top holster actually can have decent retention (especially against non-draw directional force) I don't know if a leather one will, however well printed to the model the leather is. I may just go for a Fletch high ride with thumb break retention because it has been a real great holster for the Ruger all these years.

I have one of the original "Mil-Spec" 1911's from the mid 80's. Probably 20-30,000 rounds down range. My first competition pistol for action pistol games. It has been modified quite a bit and rebuilt twice except for the barrel slide and frame. I do regret having it re-blued though, honest wear on a firearm is real beauty!

It still shoots to POA inside 3"s at 25 yards. My guns have gotten much more sophisticated since then including a really nice R/O 45ACP and Target 45ACP and Target 9mm.

I still enjoy shooting the old work horse too.

Go for it you won't be disappointed, to be ecstatic get the R/O!

All the best,

John, Retired LEO
Yes, I'm excited. All the reviews and videos about it are pretty solidly consistent, so I feel like I made good, informed choice. The hit to my credit card made me a bit nauseous (really, I'm not joking) but I have it budgeted to be paid off in two months, so it's a calculated expenditure.

This is, by far, the best video review:

For obvious reasons, she's knowledgeable, smart, skilled, and I forget all about being middle-aged!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top