JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What do you use and what have you guys found to be the best for getting thru the brush in the early AM or finding your way back after dark. I have a old single LED I bought years ago...Help me update...

camping-ultra-bright-cree-led-rechargeable-headlamp-1_1024x1024.jpg

Depending on how much you use it, Harbor Freight has some that are pretty inexpensive. They work well and I think they also have some adjustments. Good Luck.

I never used a head lamp. I've used the same (2 cell AAA ) Minimag I've used since the sixties. Of coarse now I'm relegated to walking back in the dark on roads and not the limb and blackberry nightmare some places can get. A couple of years ago I got an LED conversion which extended the light time exponentially or so it would seem as I've yet to replace the batteries in it. Way more light than the old grain of wheat bulb but not as pleasing inside.
I had a friend with a head lamp and it drove me crazy darting incessantly all over like a light show, it also made close communication the pits getting shot in the eyes all the time if he looked at me.
Iffin I was, like all lights I have, it would use standard AAA to D battery sizes, albeit I do still have a 6 volter by the bed. @Reno911 suggestion does so there is a real plus for you.

I use headlamps at work, sometimes all day.
I've had this one for a bit and like it a lot.
Coast FL78R LED Headlamp

It's a battery eater on high so I bought 3 extras to feed it throughout the day.
Has a red night light and a green blood light as well.

Rechargeable batteries are the only way to fly.
Even if the battery is dead and I have no AAA's on hand I can still charge that one with a phone charger. Or any rechargeable light, which is all I have now.
Now that I think about it, all of my lights are made by Coast. :cool:

Had a Black Diamond, what a POS. If I look, I could probably find it in my "camping bone yard." It was a bad purchase. Not bright enough, not adjustable, and I couldn't get it to say on my pumpkin sized noggin. Made me go looking for another, when I bought my first Coast.
I've had three Coast headlamps. Two died after less than two years of use. My current one is going on three years of hard use. The plastic piece for the top of the head strap broke, so I cut it off. I buy Coast, because when I need a headlamp, I need it now. You can buy them most anywhere, and they are bright.
I have something like 8 LED flashlights in various places, so if my headlamp breaks, I have light (unless I need hands free.)

Only thing I would recommend in a headlamp is the Li 16850 battery. When I'm burning my coast for hours on end, I'll go through 3 AAA batteries in 2-3 days (gets too dim).

You want a headlight that doesn't have some ridiculous switch that requires you to toggle through a bunch of settings to get to what you want.
These are junk items. Stay away.

I like the Original Energizer that has the slide switch.
Green frame.
Left is red, right is white.
3 AA cells and simple headband strap.
The white light is a "spread beam".

The other one I like is the Home Depot Energizer.
Burgundy frame.

Push button.
1st stop is red
2nd stop is white
3 AA cells and simple headband strap.
The white light is a concentrated round beam

If you're just using it to walk the dog or camping or whatever, I would spend more than $20. In fact I'd rather have 2 cheapo ones than one super duper bright one. I have them stashed all over the place just in case. Much more useful than a flashlight.

That looks like the one I have.
I bought it for chaining-up to get from P-land to Boise every week, but I've also used it under the car, working in dark places around the house, and even for building ARs in the living room where the light is bad.
The rechargeable batteries are a plus. I don't need the strobe but, wth... it's already there. The fact that it shares batteries w my Streamlight torches, recharges via USB in my truck, or via AC house current were bonuses.
Bonuses that I've taken advantage of and been grateful for several times over.

The part where the sight of me sitting on the couch w a disemboweled AR on the coffee table, headlamp on, and rhinestone-studded reading glasses on my nose makes my GF laugh every time is just gravy.

The rhinestone glasses are hers, btw.

Rating Scores - The Best Headlamps - OutdoorGearLab

Any one of these in the review link will do you proud. I own a lot of them. In my mind, having wandered in the pitch dark woods thinking of all the headlamps I own that are back home, it's more important to have it with you more than which one.

Note that the OGL top choice has a 18650 Lithium battery. The good news is that they have massive amounts of energy and will stay charged for a long long time. My Zebralight H600 is in my car door pocket. (I have 3 in my car right now). It's the best if you have a car breakdown and want that kind of light or you want to spotlight the Bigfoot approaching your car breakdown from the dark woods:) The downside of lithium is there is a learning curve and if you screw up you might have an chain reaction explosion that rivals an M-80. It's not for the weak or stupid although I have a bunch of them:). The phone makers don't have as many as the 18650 types as a percentage. It's getting better as time goes on but regular alkaline battery's or Eneloop rechargeable never have that issue, at worse, they might leak. The 2nd rated choice, the BD Storm, is not only lighter but carrys on the head better. BD makes a close version called the Spot that is capable as well and costs less. As noted above, BD has produced some crap (I think it's Chinese crap they rebrand) but some of it's good. I once bought 3 of a great sale price BD headlamp and they all broke in short order. I have the old and new style Storm, Icon, Ion, and some others. I like the way the Princeton Tecs work the best. Most Petzls have a screwy on/off mechanism that I hate. Exception is the Petzl E+lite that has a great switch. It's a tiny lamp that takes up about the same room as a couple of quarters in your pocket despite what that photo shows. It's a worthy backup purchase for that reason. It has a coin cell battery that won't self discharge and will be there when you need it.

Why Lithium-Ion Batteries Still Explode, and What's Being Done to Fix the Problem

Idaho man loses his teeth after vape explodes in his face | Daily Mail Online

Man's teeth are blown out when e-cigarette explodes in his mouth | Daily Mail Online

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top