JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
is it possible to find one locally in the great PNW? my projected gun fund budget gives me around $300 to buy a semi automatic .223 rifle that takes AR magazines.... I had heard that the SU-16 series will do; but a look on gunbroker shows most of them at $450, which...if I were to drop that kind of coin, I'd just get the Saiga sporter in 7.62x39 or put towards an AR build of my own..... are there anything that takes AR magazines and retails for under $300 that would work for me? I have a source for the AR magazines, and since most of my gear uses AR mag pouches, it simplifies my logistics needs...

When you say you have a source for AR mags does that mean free or just good price? I was also looking for a rifle a while back and had similar criteria (Wanted cheap commonly available mags), and while I did get a CETME, I also picked up a C93 for which 40 rd mags run $20-$30 each. I figured in the long run, paying a little more for a few extra mags isn't that big of a deal, unless you are looking to have 20+ mags on hand.

Here's an option for you though - I've noticed a few places that have Saiga rifles/shotguns (Except .308 and 12 gauge) on sale for $299.
Classic Arms
J&G Sales
Now if you are dead set on something that takes AR mags, there is an adapter for the .223 Saiga sold by Magnolia State Armory
But the downside is that it costs $79 and requires modification to your rifle in order to make it fit (Milling or dremeling if you don't have access to a mill). So if your source of AR mags is free that might be a way to go. If not, www.sportsmansguide.com has .223 Saiga mags @ 3 for $49.97 or 8 for $99.97 (Save 10% off if you are a member of their club) which isn't too far off the price of AR mags.

I'd say you probably couldn't find any other new semi auto rifle that fires .223 and takes high cap mags for $300. If it was me, I would jump on a Saiga right now while the prices are low and sort out the mag issue later. If I had the extra cash would be buying a Saiga rifle or three right now...:D

Good luck!

the source; $10 each....used obviously lol. but I am aware of the used mag issues as related by several AR fanboys and aware of what they may need or not need to be reliable. I've heard of the saiga adapters; and i;m not sure about these because....for one, if i want high capacity US mags or imported, i have to make the saiga 922R compliant right? that means more money in there, and to get there; I might as well as get the E-sarco or R-guns upper receiver kits and build my own AR. with $35 plus the shipping being the transfer fees from the LGS around here for online orders; I personally feel I need a local place for something relatively cheap that takes dirt cheap AR mags....unless someone has gotten SKS mags to fit the USGI M4 AR pouches I have.....

the rifle in question doesn't need to be NEW; but it does seem most people are going to price their used rifles at least 95% of new prices lol

If you don't mind the sporting configuration it would only take changing one part (In addition to US made mags which count as 3 parts) to reach 922r. <broken link removed>

If you want to fully convert it to an AK configuration I think the cost is less than $100 in parts... Also the mags I listed come out to $12.50 each in packs of 8 which is not much more than your AR mags, and these are NEW so shouldn't have any issues. so for $299 (plus shipping + FFL) for the gun & $100 for 8 mags you'll be ready to go, add another $100 to convert if you like and you're pretty close to $500 with 8 mags - It's tough to build a good AR for that and then you still have to get your (used) mags.

I think everyone knows our hobby is not cheap (Or they find out real quick... lol), but I still think if you're on a tight budget, the best bang for the buck is the Saiga...

I was under the impression that to convert a standard Saiga sporter to a 922R compliant AK, I'd need no less than 5 individual parts not counting the mags if I wanted to use any mags? at least from what I understand of the conversion kits that range from $130 to $300 depending on the scale of conversion...

so.... looks like there are NO ONE else commenting on this thread...I guess long shot it is. drats. guess companies and govt agencies do not want the working poor to be able to have anything resembling evil black rifles :rolleyes:

We will be in Albany this weekend if you want to talk about building a cheap AR. But it ain't gonna happen for $300 even with a plum crazy lower. Prices on new ARs are cheaper right now than they have ever been historically. I would figure out how to stretch that budget to $500 and just get the AR and be done with it.

lol; like i said, if there IS a semi auto rifle, in the vein of Kel Tec's SU series, that can be had for under $300, that takes AR mags without needing mods or 922r parts...I want to know about it...otherwise...since I see on GB that the Kel-Tec SU-16s are $450+; I might as well as build myself an AR and take a few months to stretch the budget :) I know there was that $49 stripped lower sale on PSA a while back; maybe black friday sales....and then there's Sarco's $475 A2 kit if its still in stock; which only needs the stripped lower AND a mag....then R-gun's upper kit sales that doesn't have bolt carrier group for under $300 without shipping.... I seem to recall someone saying it was possible to find a complete upper for $300 on the mark, but I don't know how the heck that happened as I aint seen anything COMPLETE for under $375....cept the R_gun's mostly complete without BCG for $275 sale......gvt profile 16" barrel flat top M4gery kit.

is it possible to find one locally in the great PNW? my projected gun fund budget gives me around $300 to buy a semi automatic .223 rifle that takes AR magazines.... I had heard that the SU-16 series will do; but a look on gunbroker shows most of them at $450, which...if I were to drop that kind of coin, I'd just get the Saiga sporter in 7.62x39 or put towards an AR build of my own..... are there anything that takes AR magazines and retails for under $300 that would work for me? I have a source for the AR magazines, and since most of my gear uses AR mag pouches, it simplifies my logistics needs...

I would try to save up another couple hundred and get a used AR instead. I have seen some great deals on the board here in the last few months. Might find one for $500 even. Maybe sell some stuff you don't need and get something that is more standard issue, than an off the wall make.

yeah well; by March 2012; I should have the money saved up to complete an AR build if I can get the lower parts done by Christmas :) but my question still remains; is it possible to acquire a semiauto that takes AR mags; for under $300, that is NOT an AR? I mean....just 10 years ago, I remember vividly, that the foreign guns, cheap guns, were half the price of ARs; but since the sunsetting of the AWB; the prices for these same guns have NOT dropped; even when the prices for ARs have dropped so much so as to make it pointless to get the "cheap foreign" guns when $50-100 more could get most if not all of an AR....

lol; like i said, if there IS a semi auto rifle, in the vein of Kel Tec's SU series, that can be had for under $300, that takes AR mags without needing mods or 922r parts...I want to know about it...otherwise...since I see on GB that the Kel-Tec SU-16s are $450+; I might as well as build myself an AR and take a few months to stretch the budget :) I know there was that $49 stripped lower sale on PSA a while back; maybe black friday sales....and then there's Sarco's $475 A2 kit if its still in stock; which only needs the stripped lower AND a mag....then R-gun's upper kit sales that doesn't have bolt carrier group for under $300 without shipping.... I seem to recall someone saying it was possible to find a complete upper for $300 on the mark, but I don't know how the heck that happened as I aint seen anything COMPLETE for under $375....cept the R_gun's mostly complete without BCG for $275 sale......gvt profile 16" barrel flat top M4gery kit.

AR-15 Oracle A3 Flat-Top Upper Assembly 5.56x45mm NATO 1 9 Twist 16 Light Contour Barrel Chrome Moly Matte GlacierGuard Handguard Single Rail Gas Block Flash Hider Pre-Ban

its still not under $375 lol; just around $400 with shipping....at the Albany show, there was a very similar kit being sold for $375 OTD; Ive heard nebulous reports from a few old gunsmiths about $300 complete M4 uppers with USGI parts.....but i've yet to see ANY actual; I remember JSE-surplus had a few special sales but these sold very quickly.

its still not under $375 lol; just around $400 with shipping....at the Albany show, there was a very similar kit being sold for $375 OTD; Ive heard nebulous reports from a few old gunsmiths about $300 complete M4 uppers with USGI parts.....but i've yet to see ANY actual; I remember JSE-surplus had a few special sales but these sold very quickly.
i know. but its a good enough deal worth sharing for those with a few more dollars to spend
and i was replying to your quote
lol; I seem to recall someone saying it was possible to find a complete upper for $300 on the mark, but I don't know how the heck that happened as I aint seen anything COMPLETE for under $375....cept the R_gun's mostly complete without BCG for $275 sale......gvt profile 16" barrel flat top M4gery kit.

Glad we are cracking you up "lol"

personally i have never seen a anything that takes ar mags for $300 or less other wise i would have bought it.

the Kel-Tec SU-16 are around $450 so still above your budget

here is a list of of rifles that use the ar15 magazine do your own search maybe you can find one in your price range

* Armalite AR-180B
* Beretta AR70/90
* Beretta ARX-160
* Beretta Rx4 Storm
* Bernardelli VB-SR
* Bofors Carl Gustaf Ak 5
* Bushmaster ACR
* Bushmaster M17S
* CETME Model L
* Colt M16/Diemaco C7
* Colt M4/Diemaco C8
* Daewoo K2/Daewoo K1
* Daewoo K3
* Daewoo K11
* FAD assault rifle
* FAMAS G1
* FAMAS G2
* FN F2000
* FN FNC
* FN Minimi/M249 SAW
* FN SCAR
* Heckler & Koch HK416
* Heckler & Koch G41
* Howa Type 89
* IMBEL MD2
* IMI Tavor TAR-21
* Kel-Tec PLR-16
* Kel-Tec SU-16
* Khaybar KH2002
* LAPA FA-03
* Magpul PDR
* Norinco CQ
* Norinco QBZ-97
* Norinco Type 03 assault rifle (export models)
* Pindad SS2
* Remington Model 7615P "Police Patrol Rifle"
* Robinson Armaments M-96 "Expeditionary Rifle"
* Robinson Armaments XCR
* SA80
* SAR-21 (export models)[3]
* CIS SAR-80
* CIS SR-88
* SIG 556
* Special Operations Assault Rifle (SOAR)
* Sterling SAR-87
* Steyr AUG A3 (through conversion)
* T2 MK5 rifle
* Type 65
* Type 86
* Type 91
* Type XT-97
* XM29 OICW
* Z-M Weapons LR300

UPDATE: still searching...no Kel-tecs within my preferred price range lol. oh well..but did come across SOMETHIN interesting..will have to try to get my eye on it tomorrow at the Rickreall show....$338 for the rifle, its in .223 caliber I think...looks like it uses AR magazines, could be Ruger mags but pretty sure its AR...it SOMEWHAT resembles a polymerized Daewoo K2...name started with a V...its got AR style upper/lower seam, but is angular rather than curvy and is built out of what feels like polymer..though its pretty heavy..so maybe polymer covered metal? had a bayonet and sight attached to it and a bipod...they wanted $460 for it and then on the same tag, "$338 rifle only" I assume means without sight, bipod, bayonet..anyone know what I'm talking about? and should I avoid it? price felt too good to be true, and as I've NEVER seen this model anywhere before..I'm a little worried about parts availability, unless it takes AR parts or similar.

just got back from the show. it was not there anymore...apparently someone else thought it good deal too..so its still a mystery gun..hmm. there are a couple shows local to me that I will be going to that I will find something and hopefully buy :D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top