Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Local M14 gunsmiths?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by wsu 5.9er, Feb 23, 2009.

1. wsu 5.9er

wsu 5.9er Spanaway WA Member

I've got a Polytech M14 and need to get some work done. Basically just replacing whatever the previous owners had done to install a muzzle brake and put a real one on. Anybody in the PNW work on them or do I have to send it off to Fulton Armory or some other place? Thanks,

2. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

One of the very best "Premier/Master" M1A/M14 smiths is in Jacksonville Oregon! He isn't cheap and he has a backlog but "you get what you pay for!" His name is Ted Brown. His rifles have won many championships.

http://www.tedbrownrifles.com/

Fulton is tops also....but I like to support local folks who have paid their dues if I can...

3. wsu 5.9er

Thanks for the info but according to the website, they do not work on Polytech M14's. I don't need anything too special, just fixing whatever the previous owners had done to get a muzzle brake installed and installing a different one.

4. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

Oops...okay, didn't read the fine print...just recommending a smith who is at the top of his game.

5. LC450

LC450 The Peoples Republic of WA State Member

Have ever tried, McCann Industries they may still work on M1A's & Clones

McCann Industries
    http://www.mccannindustries.com/
    (253) 537-6919 or FAX to (253) 537-6993
    If you're in Washington stop by: 132 South 162nd, Spanaway, WA 98387

There's also Bolle & Tamaro Custom gunsmithing
    (253) 531-2930
    4040 So. TyleySt.
    Unit 1A & 1B
    Tacoma Wa. 98409

There's also Brett Evens @ Arms worx up in Boney Lake I don't have there # He might have a table at this weekend gunshow in Puyallup. Brett does great work.

6. Oro

Oro Western WA Active Member

The FFL I use has a manufacturer's license and his primary personal interest is .308 military rifles. He is in Renton - Blackwell Industries/Eric Berg. Google that and you will find him, or talk to him at the show next weekend in Puyallup.

7. LC450

LC450 The Peoples Republic of WA State Member

I looked at Blackwell's web site and didn't see any thing on how long they've been in business, The 3 shop's I mentioned has been around for at least 20 to 30 years or better in the gunsmithing arena in western WA

8. Oro

Oro Western WA Active Member

LC450, I wasn't putting your options down, just giving the OP some options to pursue. I am not aware of how long Eric has been 'smithing and manufacturing (they are a manufacturing outfit, too). You can call and ask them if you want to make a heads-to-head comparison.

9. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

Im not sure how long Eric has been in business but I have seen his work and it is very good.

10. Oohrah

Oohrah NorthwestSouthern Oregon Coast Member

Agree with Ofadan, Ted Brown is #1. Most likely he doesn't work on that
    particular one is there are all states of condition of manufacture. A friend had
    one that was excellent, but ended up trading it for something else. His the era of all GI parts, and worked in all manners, excellently. Seen a couple with
    soft receivers that had headspace and other problems with use. Most likely their are ways to over come defects like this by reheat treatment, but some just don't want to fool with them. I'm told that Ted builds some awsome
    target ones and does or did some Garand work. Sorry I could not be of more help. Haven't seen a whole lot of Polys of late. but I know they are out there.

11. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

Ron Smith of Smith Enterprise in Tempe, AZ is a good place for that Poly.

12. gunwizard

gunwizard Oregon New Member

13. wsu 5.9er

I got a hold of McCaan Industries and after some convincing, he hooked me up. ;)

Broke comp:

m14-1.jpg

m14-2.jpg

Fixed:

fixed-1.jpg

weld-1.jpg

Very happy with the work and his shop is 5 minutes away from my house. ;)

14. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Gorgeous TIG weld on that! For anyone looking for someone to do M1A1 or M14 work, I also concur that Ted Brown in Jacksonville, OR is top notch... I drove down there once to buy an AR16 lower off of him... nice guy!

FYI- Bruce Campbell (star of Army of Darkness, etc.) has a place in Jacksonville, OR... that's REASON ENOUGH to make the drive to get parts and work done for your Zombie Killer right there!! :D