JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What results do you chase when reloading for rifles either semi-auto or manual loaders and in what order of importance?

Whenever I mention my desire for a manual loading AR I usually get a bunch of "whys" and occasionally why would I want to manually feed the round vs using magazine.

One important reason is to make it easier to reload for. If I am reloading for a manual loading rifle (i.e. bolt or break open action), I can focus on economy (#1) and accuracy of reloads. I don't have to worry about whether the load will cycle the action or fit in the magazine. I can use whatever components I have on hand including cast bullets, fast powders, long for cartridge bullets, etc.

I will admit to being a hardcore cheapskate but not cheap enough to cast my own bullets with any regularity. I don't hunt or compete in any shooting events and MOA on the targets is secondary to my budget. I can tell you I won't spend 25 cents extra per round to gain 1/2 an MOA on the target.

Don't ever start casting then. Once you start, you'll discover that almost *every* retail bullet costs > 25¢ or more than your own cast creation.

Given that I recognize that some cartridges are limited on accuracy, I load for accuracy first, and cost savings are secondary.
I have also found, being cheap to a fault can be counter productive and extremely frustrating. Consider, both of those setbacks have costs difficult to quantify.

Even if I produce ammo that is capable of 0.1 MOA, I still need a gun that can deliver that, and a trigger nut to place it.

I always load for accuracy 1st and then speed on both platforms (for rifle). With a semi auto you're OAL is constrained to magazine length. Most bullets cannot be seated into the lands, but some can depending on the particular cartridge and bullet.

I generally start midway up in the reference load data and go to max. On occasion I've gone a little over max, but it really depends on pressure signs. Generally on the upper 1/2 of the load range you'll find 2-3 good nodes for accuracy. After the powder charge is determined, I usually play around with bullet seating depth (at least in a bolt action).

If you can find an accurate load at the upper velocities, you'll have less drop and wind drift to contend with.

I think you'll find your loads are WAY less expensive and more accurate than any match grade ammunition available to you.

As far as manually feeding the round in a semi-auto, I've not made it a habit personally, but there are many who do when competing long range with a service rifle. They make devices to use specifically for this purpose. Loading manually should allow you more flexibility to load long and possibly seat to the lands.

The issue of how far you seat the bullet in the case depends on how well the bullet shoots jumping into the throat. Some bullets are designed to shoot excellent at magazine length. Other bullets do not shoot well unless they are loaded very close to or on the lands. The issue of loading the rifle with your hand loads that may not be sized to run in a semi auto? I find this kind of ridiculous I would properly full length size every piece of brass so it runs in any platform. I can get sub MOA and sometimes one half moa out of full length sized brass and overall length to fit the magazine.

The issue of how far you seat the bullet in the case depends on how well the bullet shoots jumping into the throat. Some bullets are designed to shoot excellent at magazine length. Other bullets do not shoot well unless they are loaded very close to or on the lands. The issue of loading the rifle with your hand loads that may not be sized to run in a semi auto? I find this kind of ridiculous I would properly full length size every piece of brass so it runs in any platform. I can get sub MOA and sometimes one half moa out of full length sized brass and overall length to fit the magazine.
The guys I know who load for SA use different dies than those of us who shoot BA.

"The Small Base Sizer Die is for bottleneck type cases used in tight-chambering semi-automatic, pump or lever-action firearms. The sizer resizes cases below SAAMI minimums, reducing the shoulder and body by a few thousandths. It also de-primes the case. Note: Not recommended for ammunition used in bolt-action rifles."

As an added bonus, I very rarely FL size anymore. I'm a neck-only guy these days. Faster, easier, cleaner, and it doesn't work the brass near as much. Tough to do if you're loading for a SA.

All three of my BA .223 Rem rifles chamber the same neck-sized-only brass. Tumble (maybe), neck size (pops the primer), reprime on the downstroke, Bob's your uncle.

P

For me its all about the end use.
Hunting ammo is all about the bullet, everything else is just part of the delivery system. Depending on what I'm hunting I may need a bullet that will break bones and plow on through, or in a thin skinned varmint a bullet that expands violently!
Plinking ammo in my family is where all the bragging is proven, so it has to be cheap and accurate. A lot of times Lunch rides on who can hit shotgun hulls at 100 yds, off hand.
Match and target ammo is where I pull out all the stops and develop the most accurate ammo I can make.

I cast and shoot a lot of lead bullets, that saves me a lot of money. and Powder Coating is making it ok to plink with lead cast bullets in rifle calibers! DR

I shoulder bump .002 - .003" on my bolt guns and .003-.005" on my semis. Accuracy is always the goal. I briefly tried neck sizing for a couple bolt guns years ago, but did not find it's pluses to outweigh the negatives. Make sure and keep those bolt lugs well greased if you are going to neck size only for a bolt gun.

I shoulder bump .002 - .003" on my bolt guns and .003-.005" on my semis. Accuracy is always the goal. I briefly tried neck sizing for a couple bolt guns years ago, but did not find it's pluses to outweigh the negatives. Make sure and keep those bolt lugs well greased if you are going to neck size only for a bolt gun.
What did you find to be negatives regarding neck sizing?

Whoops, I quoted wrong member! :( but here are the negatives I found to neck only sizing. Not worth it to me but I am sure it works great for others.

Increased bolt lug wear, no apparent accuracy gains, and more chance of a round not chambering at a critical moment. This would be more for target and varmint type shooting but the rifle gets more upset from it's rest when chambering neck size only rounds.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads