JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm all set to start loading for .45 ACP for my Coolt 1991A1. Decided to start with some hard cast coated bullets from Missouri Bullets, got 3 different profiles to experiment with. My question is, do you use standard cast bullet load recipes, or do you modify it for the coated bullets? This is for range/plinking ammo, not competing so no concerns with power factor. Thanks.

Dave

I think there is a huge amount of debate on this topic.

45 ACP is pretty forgiving, so I'd start with lead data and see how it functions in your pistol. Even starting jacketed load data is probably fine, then work up your load on your own.

Recall the published maximums are there to limit their liability, your own gun may be reach it's limit of safety before or after that max charge.

Is your intention to go coated only? Plated has similar advantages without the plastic burning smell. I run both in my GCNM and load right at lead recipes, but again 45acp is a forgiving round for reloaders. I double-charged a target load and just got a louder bang. Sometimes ya get lucky and a Lesson doesn't hurt this time...

So I'm all set to start loading for .45 ACP for my Coolt 1991A1. Decided to start with some hard cast coated bullets from Missouri Bullets, got 3 different profiles to experiment with. My question is, do you use standard cast bullet load recipes, or do you modify it for the coated bullets? This is for range/plinking ammo, not competing so no concerns with power factor. Thanks.

Dave
If the coating is hytek or powder coating use your cast bullet data for a similar cast projectile and work up like usual.

I typically use lead load data for something similar in profile to what I'm loading. My preferred bullet has no data (156gr 9mm flat point) so I use 147gr data and work up from 10% below starting charge for a 147 and run them over a chrono till I get a load that gets above power factor with a cushion of about 10 then I go up and down from there a little at a time to find the most accurate load.

As long as you are working up it doesnt really matter what load data you use. You'll be starting low anyway.
I've done quite a lot of testing with PC vs traditional lubesuin cast bullets using the same bullet. I usually (with just a few exceptions here and there) find the results in accuracy and velocity differences to be almost nil in .38/.357 and .40S&W. Can't speak to other calibers. Sometimes they just need a powder tweak. FWIW just my limited experience.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top