JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Accurates website has data for Berry's plated and they make a 124fp so I'd start there. Otherwise, call or email extreme, they should have some data. The Lyman manual has data for flat point lead close to that weight too, which will get you in the ballpark for oal and work your way up. You have a chronograph?

OAL should be for your barrel. Just don't go below min for the powder and bullet.
I see this all the time. The published Min and Max is for their barrel using their OAL so once you vary the OAL those Min and Max change. So when you change the OAL based on your barrel ( witch I agree with ) how do you know the new Min without a chrono. I know none of my loads are at the the recommended Oal, just wondering how you know what the new Min is.

I don't think you should be looking at it as a new minimum length. Most of us are looking for the maximum length for our barrels, IF we find that gives us the best accuracy.

Don't take it as gospel, but you can get a pretty good idea of what works for others by looking at reloading forums. Just be aware that some shoot ++ loads regularly in competition, so make sure you know what you're reading.

For more specific help, do some searches for accurate and plated 124g RN. There is a wealth of knowledge out there, just be aware that it's worth what you paid for it.

I don't think you should be looking at it as a new minimum length. Most of us are looking for the maximum length for our barrels, IF we find that gives us the best accuracy.

Don't take it as gospel, but you can get a pretty good idea of what works for others by looking at reloading forums. Just be aware that some shoot ++ loads regularly in competition, so make sure you know what you're reading.

For more specific help, do some searches for accurate and plated 124g RN. There is a wealth of knowledge out there, just be aware that it's worth what you paid for it.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I load for multiple 9's 45's, I load to the shortest of the guns chamber being my CZ so they will work in all of my guns safely. That OAL is shorter than the published OAL data, meaning that the Minimum powder charge has changed. That's all.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I load for multiple 9's 45's, I load to the shortest of the guns chamber being my CZ so they will work in all of my guns safely. That OAL is shorter than the published OAL data, meaning that the Minimum powder charge has changed. That's all.
What published OAL data? For that bullet? It'd be silly for a manufacturer to sell/make/recommend x were it to only work in perhaps 1% of the guns on the planet.

What published OAL data? For that bullet? It'd be silly for a manufacturer to sell/make/recommend x were it to only work in perhaps 1% of the guns on the planet.
Take a look at say, Hodgdon, You have a 125 gr LCN, using Win 231 shows An OAL of 1.125 with a start load of 3.9,(minimum ) but at 1.25 THAT bullet hits the lands of your particular gun, you have to load at lets say 1.090, your start load would no longer be 3.9.
All I am saying is load data is nothing more than a guide to be adjusted as needed, it gives you a starting point if you can't find data for your exact bullet.
I never said anything about the data would work in only 1% of the guns but there are some bullets out there tat just flat should not be used in all guns as the OAL in a short chambered gun would just plain be to short. Think of some of the 147 gr. RN with a short radius to the nose.

I hear what you're saying and yes, if reliable published data exists and shows x psi with given components and specs and one then has to seat the bullet deeper, the pressure will be higher.
It bugs me when one has all the exact components as in the manual and loads them to that oal and it won't chamber into some guns.. when every single loaded factory round will chamber into all guns.. unless it was just an odd accidental bungle on their part.

Thank you all for the input...i have loaded some round nose from xtreme and wondering whether to seat the flat nose the same with the round nose... or subtract the difference in length between the round nose which longer than the flat nose...any idea?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top