JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Bid on a Llama super Comanche? (44mag)

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Absolutely garbage run away

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Only if it’s cheap

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A kel-tec is more reliable

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
Reactions
I saw this pistol (Llama Super Comanche 44mag) for sale up on RAI and it has me intrigued especially for the estimated price of $2-400.

I already have dies and reloading supplies for the caliber and I was curious if anyone has experience with this companys revolver offerings.

I don't have the opportunity to inspect in person but the gun seems to be in excellent condition based on the pictures.

so what day you fine gentlemen? Yay or nay for a knock about fun gun?

I had a commanche i gave my father in law after shooting it a couple of decades. It was a reliable revolver. Build quality was like a Taurus. Never had a super comanche.

The buyers premium of 18% with a credit card isn't too bad at $400 bucks. Then you have shipping and the BGC fees.
It all adds up in the long run, especially if you get auction fever.

Last Edited:
I voted "Only if it's cheap". Reasoning is the few I've had experience were solid wheelguns. If I could acquire one on the lower end of the cost, I would "just because". But if the price is close to a used Ruger, S&W, etc., I kind of don't see the point. If for no other reason parts availability is likely better. (Llama, as you likely know, is defunct, along with several other Spanish handgun manufacturers.)

The buyers premium of 18% with a credit card isn't to bad at $400 bucks. Then you have shipping and the BGC fees.
It all ads up in the long run, especially if you get auction fever.

Yeah I've bought from them before, so I'm authorized to cut a check for the 15% "cash" premium.

Im also extremely careful to just put my max in and NOT watch the auction lol.

I voted "Only if it's cheap". Reasoning is the few I've had experience were solid wheelguns. If I could acquire one on the lower end of the cost, I would "just because". But if the price is close to a used Ruger, S&W, etc., I kind of don't see the point. If for no other reason parts availability is likely better. (Llama, as you likely know, is defunct, along with several other Spanish handgun manufacturers.)

I appreciate your insight on this, I like quirky guns and and well aware of the woes that come with them. Mainly I'm cautious about the company due to the "quality" of their 1911 copy's.

seems to be a...vague copy of a large framed S&W

Si, mi amigo. From Spanish Handguns: The History of Spanish Pistols & Revolvers, by Gene Gangarosa, Jr., Stoeger Publishing Company (2001), page 193:

The well-made Super Comanche, which was available with a 4-inch (.357 Comanche V only), 6-inch or 8.5-inch barrel and blued finish only, costs considerably less than the Smith & Wesson 29, which it closely resembled in size, appearance and features. Nevertheless, the Super Comanche lacked the prestige of its Smith & Wesson competition in the vitally important U.S. market and did not become popular in other countries because of its large size and magnum caliber, forcing the company to discontinue it in 1994.​

I once bid on a firearm and my max bid (for what it really was worth) went for three times over my bid.
A month later a lady from RIA called me and asked if I still wanted the gun.
I said yes for my max bid price and she said that I could have it for the final bid price, plus the 18% surcharge.
Seems the winning bidder sent it back and she was going down the line calling everybody who bid on it.
I quit online auctions after that.

I once bid on a firearm and my max bid (for what it really was worth) went for three times over my bid.
A month later a lady from RIA called me and asked if I still wanted the gun.
I said yes for my max bid price and she said that I could have it for the final bid price, plus the 18% surcharge.
Seems the winning bidder sent it back and she was going down the line calling everybody who bid on it.
I quit online auctions after that.

That is wild! I have had nothing but a good experience with RIA, haven't yet used any other platform...well I did use Gunbroker, but I cheated. I found the FFLs contact information and just called them directly, seems they were much more keen to cut a good deal to a guaranteed buyer without the hassle of the site.

IME, Spanish guns run hot or cold. Too bad you cannot physically inspect it. A good one is a keeper, but am guessing that a lot of auction (i.e.dog show) guns get sent back. For a low bid, you could not get hurt all that bad.

Check the timing.. everyone knows llamas spit.
He is not kidding. My first centerfire handgun was a Llama Commanche 4" .357 Magnum. It looked like a cross between a Model 19 with a "Pythonseque" vent rib. It quickly went out of time and spit lead out the sides. IIRC, I traded it in a a 6" Ruger Security Six, a far superior firearm.

As mentioned the rub is parts. If something goes bad trying to find a part "could be" a problem. Also as mentioned buying something like this you can't actually handle? For me the price would have to be so low I would not care if it did not work when I got it. If it was say 40% of what a Ruger or S&W ran? Yes tempting. Any more and I would not want to take the risk. Now whoever gets it may well get a gun that is just fantastic but, its at best a gamble. Feeling lucky? :D:D:D

There is a fellow on the Colt forum who has a .44 Mag collection, to include Llama, Astra, High Standard Crusader, RG57 .44 (yes, RG!) as well as the usual suspects. Have never seen an RG, but it would have to be strong.

There is a fellow on the Colt forum who has a .44 Mag collection, to include Llama, Astra, High Standard Crusader, RG57 .44 (yes, RG!) as well as the usual suspects. Have never seen an RG, but it would have to be strong.

Thats...AMAZING!!!!!!

In 2008, this NIB example went for all of $240.00

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 11.39.45 PM.png

If I could acquire one on the lower end of the cost, I would "just because". But if the price is close to a used Ruger, S&W, etc., I kind of don't see the point. If for no other reason parts availability is likely better. (Llama, as you likely know, is defunct, along with several other Spanish handgun manufacturers.)
IME, Spanish guns run hot or cold. Too bad you cannot physically inspect it. A good one is a keeper, but am guessing that a lot of auction (i.e.dog show) guns get sent back. For a low bid, you could not get hurt all that bad.

These two above, for sure.

I have no experience with the revolver in question but much experience with Spanish-made, major brand automatics. Parts can be hard to find, and expensive when found. And remember, pre-CNC machine work on revolvers often involved some element of hand fitting and especially with Spanish revolvers. If it's quirky you like, sometimes it's quirky you get. I know this personally to be a fact. One of the rules I learned to respect is if you go off the rails in gun-gathering, it can be a short-cut to the money pit. Not always but more potential for it than by staying on the main line.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top