JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there any major difference between surefire, streamlight, or the off brand batteries that can be picked up cheaper? I've bought them all 1 or a dozen at a time as needed. But I would rather have all one brand for backup.
I had a couple bulk sheets of Panasonic brand once . Haven't looked online yet.

I was buying Tenergy CR123's in a 40 pack from the Amazon for $39.99. They seem to work just as well as SF and SL. I just checked on price, they are now $46 for 40pack. I say they work as well as SF and SL since none of them last very long in any of my lights/lasers.

I'm assuming you are talking about CR 123 batteries. Panasonic, Surefire, Streamlight and Duracell are top choices and all equal quality. If you venture out you will have mixed results. I believe Panasonic makes surefire and streamlight batteries as well.

I usually buy Panasonic's on Amazon for a decent price if you buy a couple dozen :)

Always check the freshness date. I like Sony, Panasonic, and others, but what you will see is a lot of old stock. I forget but they have either a ten or fifteen year shelf life so don't buy stuff that expires in like 3 years or something. CR2032s, 123s and the CR16xx ones usually all store the same. Don't keep them in the fridge. I used to until I read an article about the humidity and how it can kill the cells.

When possible, I buy rechargeables. I've gone through Tadiran, Varian (I think that was their name), Nuon, Tenergy, etc.
Tadiran AA rechargeables are by far the best I have used - and also ungodly expensive. The non-rechargeables, when properly selected, last and last. I've had them go 10+ years in some systems.
I have had Tenergy's that die after 2 recharges. Currently on year three of a heavy use/rotation of four Nuon 18650 batteries. They have held up well.
I've had Panasonic non-rechargeables that were fantastic. Panasonic makes the rechargeables for Tesla.

DO NOT BUY OFF EBAY
A lot of the batteries there are counterfeit labels, or manufacturing 2nds.
I also avoid Chinese vendor sites and, for the most part, Amazon vendors.

Rechargeable batteries are one of those things that the adage, "you get what you pay for" holds supremely true.

Edit to add: have had to work on systems that had off-brand (white plastic, no mfg name) 18650's soldered into the power system. After a few months, some short-circuited, ruining the entire assembly. (1) batteries are consumables - why solder them into the electronics, and (2) farming manufacturing offshore sometimes has unexpected consequences. Some stuff makes you scratch your head....

I have bought either Streamlight or Surefire CR123A. Some of the newer packages of Streamlight have expiration dates on them. I should check the ones in my lights to see if they have expiration date or not.

When I was running the 123 batteries, I would call BrightFlashlights.com and order a box for the year right after SHOT Show when he was able to make a good bulk purchase from either SureFire or Streamlight One man shop who always answers the phone and ships quickly:

–– Please contact us direct at: [email protected] ––

Or by phone: (352) 732-2156 from 11am-8pm EST Mon. - Fri. (& until 4pm Sat.)

Another vote for Tenergy. They are a big lithium battery manufacturer, I used their batteries almost exclusively when I was in the RC racing realm. Their stuff is good!

I have pretty much sworn off any Duracell product. I've lost count at the number of their batteries that have leaked in my flashlights, communications equipment, kids toys, TV remotes...everything. In the last five years...not kidding...it's been well over 25. Well over. many of these have still been very new with dates on them several years in the future. My count on Energizers leaking over this period? Zero.

I had to take batteries of some equipment our contractors use. There were numerous types. All the ones that had leaked? You guessed it. Personally, maybe their lithium items are better but I'm not going to trust my life on anything they make. Good info from others, thanks!

I have pretty much sworn off any Duracell product. I've lost count at the number of their batteries that have leaked in my flashlights, communications equipment, kids toys, TV remotes...everything. In the last five years...not kidding...it's been well over 25. Well over. many of these have still been very new with dates on them several years in the future. My count on Energizers leaking over this period? Zero.

I had to take batteries of some equipment our contractors use. There were numerous types. All the ones that had leaked? You guessed it. Personally, maybe their lithium items are better but I'm not going to trust my life on anything they make. Good info from others, thanks!
Now that you mention it I've been having trouble with Duracell batteries too.. for quite a while now.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top