Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Limit who is tracking you on the web

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ATCclears, Apr 25, 2013.

1. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

2. Just Me

Just Me Peoples Republik of Oregon Active Member

If you try it please post a review.

3. bluesurf

bluesurf Portland Active Member

Looks good to me. I am thinking about getting a Proxy server started up also.

4. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

The number one thing that both helps counter the biggest knowitall on the web, as well as speed up your browsing experience, as less crap gets loaded, is blocking 3rd party access to facebook, which is fairly simple to do in the ABP plugin for most browsers. Also google ads get my blocking support.

It's funny, because there's nothing yet for the browser on my android tablet (I use Dolphin), so it's weird seeing a lot of facebook crap popping up there. :)

Finally, ghostery is nice too. It looks a little like these guys' plugin, so I'll have a look at this one too.

edit: What also works nice is setting up a virtual machine. VMWare has a free option, and there are other ways too probably. Create a virtual machine just for some of the browsing where you don't want all kinds of tracking going on. Sure your IP is still visible, but you can start from scratch each session. Also helps tremendously if you want to get something from a potentially virus-infested source. Download on the VM, inspect and clean and transfer to the regular machine through a shared directory. If the virtual machine gets eaten alive by some virus, just nuke it and start from scratch. :)

5. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

For search engines use Startpage.com (They do the google search for you, so your search phrase is attributed to them not you, and when you click a link the search returns they proxy the click, so that doesn't even show up as you. Everything after that first click is you though)

For home security download an app called Peer Block.

You'll be surprised how many queries come through your routers at home!

This will allow you to see where the requests are coming from and block them selectively and even create lists (and download pre-existing lists!) of sites that should be denied access to your systems. (You can even opt to "Block all requests")

6. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

I've got this on chrome right now. It's interesting. You cant completely block everything, which irritates me a little, but it is free. The interface is a little confusing at first.

7. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

TOR.

8. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Absolutely. :thumbup:

9. tunus

tunus PDX, United States Active Member

wrapping a linux distro for max protection

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.