JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which caliber?

• .357 Mag

Votes: 39 48.8%
  • .44 Mag

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • .45 LC

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 13 16.3%

• Total voters
Tbh, aside from the other "snub nose" revolvers in .460 and .500, which were hard to come by let alone try at the range, I've had an easier time shooting .460 and .500 in general compared to the ruger alaskan in .454. Not by a whole lot though, they were heavier so that helped a bit.

That being said, a BFR in .45-70 using standard ammo won't be much worse than .454, unless you step up to .45-70 magnum loads. The guy who had the BFR didn't have any of that though, probably for a reason.

Never tried that one. I have shot .30╱30 in their long cylinder version and .50Æ in the short. I don't remember the .30 being all that nasty. The lighter .50 was like what I imagine holding on to a lightning bolt may be like. Though less juice, it was noticeably less pleasant than the .500 Magnum I shoot on a fairly regular basis these days.
I shot an eight in T/C encore pistol in 50AE. I shot it twice. I do not believe I want to ever shoot it in that config again. I may also point out I am limited in what my grips can be. No rubber.

Actually, .22 rimfire would be my favorite - by far. I didn't even think about that choice because it wasn't explicitly listed - so I changed my vote from .44 mag to "Other".

My revolver/rifle pair would be my Ruger LCRx and my Browning BL-22 (tube feed so it can feed any S/L/LR).

.22 rimfire is my favorite caliber over all the others - versatile, fun and inexpensive/easy to shoot.
While I have a couple 3030 levers, the only revolver/lever match is in 22, and I gotta say it is a great budget round that is also easy on the ears. The h&r 676 has a 12" barrel and is just a solid tack driving shooter. It's surprisingly balanced for its length. I do have a 16" rough rider that is way nose heavy and cheesy in comparison, but still shoots well.
The rifle is a Winchester model 250 and is a fun light duty range gun.
The big plus is they can be shot at the local indoor range, and again dirt cheap.

A buddy has a Rossi 92 and ruger sp101 in 357/38, and that is a great combo on about twice the investment.

IMG_5135.jpeg IMG_5136.jpeg

I chose .44mag as it's what I have NOW- an older .44mag Uberti single-action revolver, and a Rossi .44 lever carbine.
Once had a Marlin/Python "system", but dropped the Marlin .357 carbine because the DROP of the 158gr copper-jacketed projectiles over 100+ yards was remarkable indeed.
Still very much like the .357 revolvers, but changed to the .44mag carbine w/ my handloads after a deer-hunting trip in the Ozarks. The .357 just wasnt cutting it, even with my hand-loads.
Since there are several .44mags in my stable, I choose the 5.5" Redhawk as a woods carry revolver. Strong, stainless, double action, and trust-worthy. The .44 carbine is for plinking, not for when it comes to serious hunting.

Last Edited:
.357 mag. Low recoil (especially with 38 special). Cheaper ammo to buy. Cheaper ammo to reload, good enough for close to mid range. More practice due to cheaper and pleasant rounds. Better shooter. Also, it's technically not recommended, but you could run small rifle primers in .357 mag theoretically. There are a massive worldwide supply of those due to 5.56 nato. Not as much for the other callers. Also, 9mm projectiles could be used in a pinch. Bullet diameters are about 1-2 thousands too small, but could be done if you had too. Powdercoat to bring up to size. Just a little smarter from a reloading perspective supply wise.

.357 mag. Low recoil (especially with 38 special). Cheaper ammo to buy. Cheaper ammo to reload, good enough for close to mid range. More practice due to cheaper and pleasant rounds. Better shooter. Also, it's technically not recommended, but you could run small rifle primers in .357 mag theoretically. There are a massive worldwide supply of those due to 5.56 nato. Not as much for the other callers. Also, 9mm projectiles could be used in a pinch. Bullet diameters are about 1-2 thousands too small, but could be done if you had too. Powdercoat to bring up to size. Just a little smarter from a reloading perspective supply wise.
Well said.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top