Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Left Handed, Woman, Glock Shooter Problem

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by RedneckRampage, Aug 13, 2013.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

So, a girl that I went to high school with got a hold of me today about shooting and getting her CHL. Kinda crazy, cause she is a huge Obama fan/liberal and has always made comments about me being a "redneck" and a "hick" with all my guns.... Anyway, from what I got out of our short conversation is, so guy has been leaving notes on her car and texting her and creeping her out, the cops won't do anything, so now whe wants some kinda protection, at least just at home for now (til she gets a CHL). She has a Glock, or access to one. She does not know what model it is. She has shot it before, but she is left handed, and says "the bullets fly out, right into my line of sight" and he says it needs some kind of "shield".

Do any of you know of this so called "shield"? My lack of Google skills couldn't find anything...

I know that it probably will mess up the idea of carrying it, cause I imagine it's bulky. I'm going to try and get her out shooting next week and see what the deal is, exactly. I also recommended that she go to a good handgun class, where she brings her pistol and shoots it there with some instructors, so they can give her some help.

Thanks for the help. This may be one more Obama lover turned shooter/carrier! It'll be the third I've helped switch positions!

2. Gunwheeler

Gunwheeler Somewhere in De Nile Active Member

If she holds the gun "Gangsta" style. The spent casings will eject down. And she will look "Cool".

3. RedneckRampage

HAHA I'm not even giving her that advise! Cause then I'd have to find her a set of the sights that go on the side of the slide...then a holster to fit those sights....then...

4. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

The only "shield" that comes to mind is for the trigger (i.e. she needs a holster that covers the trigger-well if she's going to carry it). Other than that, without taking a look at it I couldn't begin to fathom what a "shield" for a Glock even means.

Maybe they meant she should get herself an M&P Shield?
    SandWShield.jpg

5. RedneckRampage

I think she means some kind of shell deflector, like I've seen for ARs....

6. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Maybe the extractor could be tuned to throw the empty shells at a different angle, instead of back towards her face.

7. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

I agree...anytime brass is flying back at you would be an extractor issue...it either needs replaced or adjusted.

8. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Well, this is interesting. If she shoots with both eyes open, which is rare for a new shooter, then I could see her right eye picking up a glimpse of the casing as it crosses her face. I've tried to visualize what she's telling you, but just can't fathom it. I occasionally shoot weak handed (left handed to me) but even then I don't notice the shell anymore than when I shoot right handed.
    The only thing I can think of is that she's holding the gun close to her face (arms bent, hands close to the face) and then the ejected shell may come close to her face, causing her to worry.
    I second the idea of taking a good handgun class. Quite possibly her instructor could help with this.

I think it's a good thing to help any woman that wants to learn how to shoot, especially a left-winger. Good for you.

9. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Yeah, good for you for helping her.

It could be her arms aren't near full extension, so the casings seem like they're going right past her face. But elsewise, I'd say "Get used to it," because a pistol is one violent piece of hardware and she needs to get acclimated to its function.

It could be she needs some distraction like moving while shooting, or shooting moving targets, to keep her mind off the ejected brass.

10. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

It sounds like a training issue (or rather, lack of training) to me. Redneck I think you are right on with your handgun class recommendation.

11. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Beaverton, OR Chief Cook/Bottle Washer

Agreed on the class recommendation. As a lefty, my biggest complaint is the "over the top" grip on the slide. Which I modify to go in front of the slide port/ejector or behind it depending on the size of the slide, barrel, etc.

More practice will also turn that "blur" to nothing to worry about at all. Good instructor will remind her to keep eyes on front sight and keep that sight picture clean.

Sodbuster

12. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

Maybe try different ammo. When I shoot Herters aluminum/nylon jacketed(weird blue stuff)out of my SR9 the spent cases hit me in the head. Other types of ammo eject away.

13. Twodogs

Twodogs portland Or Active Member

Hotter ammo will eject harder and fly away from the shooter.

14. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

These folks are top-notch, retired police, professional.
    Cascade Firearms Training
    If she's serious, she can pay for it out of her own pocket.

Seriously, hope this isn't just another "Heidi Yeoman".

15. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

While I applaud additional training for anyone, I would like to point something out that you may be able to use:

If this person is in Oregon, there is something called Telephonic Harassment. It IS crime and if she states to stop, under that law and the person doesn't stop, she can press charges against the individual. But she must state her intent, then require the police to arrest the individual. It is a Class B misdemeanor.

ORS 166.090 - Telephonic harassment - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes

If you informed the LEO's that you would like to press charges based on that law, they may be more responsive. But the individual being harassed must stop replying to the texts after informing them of the situation. Just record the texts and report them every time.

16. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I am pretty competent with a handgun, and I too have had a xd .40 throw the occasional brass in my face. Some guns just have an odd extractor angle. I am pretty sure a good gunsmith can fix that for you.

17. RedneckRampage

Thanks guys. Next week we are gunna meet up and have a look at her gun and how she holds it and whatnot, then hopefully we will have time to go shooting soon. I will also let her shoot my Glock, and see if it changes. About the Telephonic harassment, she has not replied to any texts or notes, and not answered phone calls, it all happened in one or two days. Supposedly the guy some how got her number off something from work... She is a amateur actress and he was working on the set. She also told security at work and the manager of the project she is working on. She really does not even know who the guy is or what he looks like, just a first name.

18. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

There is no substitute for training. Especially for a new shooter. Get in touch with OFADAN, who is a member on this forum or better yet encourage her to go here and schedule a class.

19. Salps

Salps Down by the river…. Well-Known Member

Might sell her this for a small fortune. True left handed 1911. Left eject, left hand rifling and left handed mags.
    Last one I could find that sold was $ 2400, mags go for $150+. I would want more... # 7 of about 30 made in the mid 80's.
    Love it.
    IMG_1750.jpg

20. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

Walk away nooo RUN AWAY!!!!!!!

#1 she has a (gasp) Glock

#2 She is the key word!!!

#3 SHE is LEFT handed!!!!

#4 Obama fan/liberal

#5 A class would do no good SHE should not be allowed to even hold a GUN...

BVB and (deleted member) like this.