JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, a girl that I went to high school with got a hold of me today about shooting and getting her CHL. Kinda crazy, cause she is a huge Obama fan/liberal and has always made comments about me being a "redneck" and a "hick" with all my guns.... Anyway, from what I got out of our short conversation is, so guy has been leaving notes on her car and texting her and creeping her out, the cops won't do anything, so now whe wants some kinda protection, at least just at home for now (til she gets a CHL). She has a Glock, or access to one. She does not know what model it is. She has shot it before, but she is left handed, and says "the bullets fly out, right into my line of sight" and he says it needs some kind of "shield".

Do any of you know of this so called "shield"? My lack of Google skills couldn't find anything...

I know that it probably will mess up the idea of carrying it, cause I imagine it's bulky. I'm going to try and get her out shooting next week and see what the deal is, exactly. I also recommended that she go to a good handgun class, where she brings her pistol and shoots it there with some instructors, so they can give her some help.

Thanks for the help. This may be one more Obama lover turned shooter/carrier! It'll be the third I've helped switch positions!

HAHA I'm not even giving her that advise! Cause then I'd have to find her a set of the sights that go on the side of the slide...then a holster to fit those sights....then...

The only "shield" that comes to mind is for the trigger (i.e. she needs a holster that covers the trigger-well if she's going to carry it). Other than that, without taking a look at it I couldn't begin to fathom what a "shield" for a Glock even means.

Maybe they meant she should get herself an M&P Shield?
SandWShield.jpg

Well, this is interesting. If she shoots with both eyes open, which is rare for a new shooter, then I could see her right eye picking up a glimpse of the casing as it crosses her face. I've tried to visualize what she's telling you, but just can't fathom it. I occasionally shoot weak handed (left handed to me) but even then I don't notice the shell anymore than when I shoot right handed.
The only thing I can think of is that she's holding the gun close to her face (arms bent, hands close to the face) and then the ejected shell may come close to her face, causing her to worry.
I second the idea of taking a good handgun class. Quite possibly her instructor could help with this.

I think it's a good thing to help any woman that wants to learn how to shoot, especially a left-winger. Good for you.

Yeah, good for you for helping her.

It could be her arms aren't near full extension, so the casings seem like they're going right past her face. But elsewise, I'd say "Get used to it," because a pistol is one violent piece of hardware and she needs to get acclimated to its function.

It could be she needs some distraction like moving while shooting, or shooting moving targets, to keep her mind off the ejected brass.

Agreed on the class recommendation. As a lefty, my biggest complaint is the "over the top" grip on the slide. Which I modify to go in front of the slide port/ejector or behind it depending on the size of the slide, barrel, etc.

More practice will also turn that "blur" to nothing to worry about at all. Good instructor will remind her to keep eyes on front sight and keep that sight picture clean.

Sodbuster

So, a girl that I went to high school with got a hold of me today about shooting and getting her CHL. Kinda crazy, cause she is a huge Obama fan/liberal and has always made comments about me being a "redneck" and a "hick" with all my guns.... Anyway, from what I got out of our short conversation is, so guy has been leaving notes on her car and texting her and creeping her out, the cops won't do anything, so now whe wants some kinda protection, at least just at home for now (til she gets a CHL). She has a Glock, or access to one. She does not know what model it is. She has shot it before, but she is left handed, and says "the bullets fly out, right into my line of sight" and he says it needs some kind of "shield".

Do any of you know of this so called "shield"? My lack of Google skills couldn't find anything...

I know that it probably will mess up the idea of carrying it, cause I imagine it's bulky. I'm going to try and get her out shooting next week and see what the deal is, exactly. I also recommended that she go to a good handgun class, where she brings her pistol and shoots it there with some instructors, so they can give her some help.

Thanks for the help. This may be one more Obama lover turned shooter/carrier! It'll be the third I've helped switch positions!

While I applaud additional training for anyone, I would like to point something out that you may be able to use:

If this person is in Oregon, there is something called Telephonic Harassment. It IS crime and if she states to stop, under that law and the person doesn't stop, she can press charges against the individual. But she must state her intent, then require the police to arrest the individual. It is a Class B misdemeanor.

ORS 166.090 - Telephonic harassment - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes

If you informed the LEO's that you would like to press charges based on that law, they may be more responsive. But the individual being harassed must stop replying to the texts after informing them of the situation. Just record the texts and report them every time.

I am pretty competent with a handgun, and I too have had a xd .40 throw the occasional brass in my face. Some guns just have an odd extractor angle. I am pretty sure a good gunsmith can fix that for you.

Thanks guys. Next week we are gunna meet up and have a look at her gun and how she holds it and whatnot, then hopefully we will have time to go shooting soon. I will also let her shoot my Glock, and see if it changes. About the Telephonic harassment, she has not replied to any texts or notes, and not answered phone calls, it all happened in one or two days. Supposedly the guy some how got her number off something from work... She is a amateur actress and he was working on the set. She also told security at work and the manager of the project she is working on. She really does not even know who the guy is or what he looks like, just a first name.

There is no substitute for training. Especially for a new shooter. Get in touch with OFADAN, who is a member on this forum or better yet encourage her to go here and schedule a class.

Might sell her this for a small fortune. True left handed 1911. Left eject, left hand rifling and left handed mags.
Last one I could find that sold was $ 2400, mags go for $150+. I would want more... # 7 of about 30 made in the mid 80's.
Love it.

IMG_1750.jpg

Walk away nooo RUN AWAY!!!!!!!

#1 she has a (gasp) Glock

#2 She is the key word!!!

#3 SHE is LEFT handed!!!!

#4 Obama fan/liberal

#5 A class would do no good SHE should not be allowed to even hold a GUN...

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews