JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a couple of Lee Loader kits (9mm and 30-06) and thought about a way to expand their versatility to loading other cartridges in the field. I have already used the primer base to prime other cartridges and they worked fine. My latest thought is to use a regular lee sizing die to size a case like the Lee Loader die does. If you were to remove the stem from the die body then you might be able to hammer in the case and then punch it out with a rod. I don't know how the internal neck dimension would turn out but it might work well enough for hand feeding the bullets.

Has anybody here tried reloading with improvised die sets?

If you were to remove the stem from the die body then you might be able to hammer in the case and then punch it out with a rod
I doubt you would ever get the case hammered in, and if you did it would be stuck tight even if lubed and the case head would be damaged

The Lee loader dies neck size only which is why they work in the first place. The rest of the die is oversized so the case does not make contact with the inside of the die.

Ever get a case stuck loading conventionally with a press?

Last Edited:
I doubt you would ever get the case hammered in, and if you did it would be stuck tight even if lubed and the case head would be damaged

The Lee loader dies neck size only which is why they work in the first place. The rest of the die is oversized so the case does not make contact with the inside of the die.

Ever get a case stuck loading conventionally with a press?
That is a good point. I have used my fl dies to partially size cases. Do you think the Lee Loader pistol kits only neck size?

The ammo makers in the Kyber pass region do just that. they drive the empty cases into a die using a rock for an anvil, and then drive them back out with a dowel. If you tried to use this method using standard dies it would undersize your brass. Their die is probably made using a chamber reamer and is cut to drive the case head in flush. Watch about 4:00 in.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top