JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at some LED headlights for my car (H11) and I'm curious if anyone has experience with them? It appears that most bulbs in the LED fashion are using CREE diodes which apparently have the market cornered in that field which is understandable.

They are going in a car that has a projector for low beams and has the cutoff line as the courtesy to oncoming vehicles, all stock on 2010 Prius.

I've had LED interior lights, Xenon (HID) headlights in the past and normally run Sylvania Silverstars ($ouch) because I prefer their clarity. I really liked the HID's but without having the proper pattern dispersion they were a real pain to oncoming drivers and I always would adjust my beam pattern low to offset their scattering effect.

Mainly what I'm curious about is their longevity and how they stack up to the premium halogens listed above.

my buddy went thru two sets of LED bulbs before he went back to HIDs

he just had standard housings and the glare was aweful. super scattery coverage of the road. his HIDs cover the road just fine.

YMMV with projector housings.

i run HIDs on two of my cars. i like'm. never had a problem with them.

Ugh, so the LED experiment has resulted in them going back.

The projector cutoff was lower than the halogens, while there was more lumens in the LED's with them being a pure white light there was less usable reflection from objects down the road.

A 6000K color could have been better if it was closer to 4500K or just any bit closer to the yellow spectrum of a 3000K HID. I loved the yellow HID's I had years ago but I don't want to run HID's anymore with the issues I've had (and I sold many pair as a distro) with failing ballasts and some even had a power feedback... not what I want in a hybrid.

From what I have seen so far, aftermarket LEDs to replace OEM headlights are not there yet for most vehicles, especially when using the OEM reflector and lens. For some vehicles with round halogen or older sealed beams - like some Jeeps, there seems to be some LED replacement setups where you remove the whole reflector & lens system or sealed beam and replace it with an LED system that is DOT approved and they approach acceptable lighting.

Other than that, the only LED systems I have seen that pass muster come from the factory - generally on more expensive euro cars like Audi, BMW or MB.

I like the HIDs on my BMW X1, especially the fact that they are 'adaptive' so they turn around a corner, which is great for me as the last five miles coming home in the dark is a tight twisty and often wet mountain road. That and the AWD is really needed up here. I have noticed the HIDs on the X1 are not near as bright or white as many other cars and are adjusted down well, so I rarely have anyone flash me with their brights.

On my other rigs (Toyota 4x4 PU & Dodge flatbed), I intend to find some replacements for their lights as they are really weak, but they will remain halogen - not going to use HIDs as they really need the leveling system. I am looking at an LED light bar for the front bumper, but will rig them to only come on with the brights.

When my HIDs need new lamps I will probably look at the aftermarket bulbs as I think mine could be a little whiter and maybe brighter (if possible). I am 63 so my night vision, which was not that good to start with, is suffering.

@The Heretic
Thanks for that information regarding "not there yet" which is absolutely confirmed as my test showed.

Reflector, projector etc... the pattern isn't the same. Maybe if I try some with 360° of LEDs it would be different but two at 180° even if they put out 180° of light each leaves a blind spot and it was evident.

2010 Prius models did come with LED but $800 per housing is more than I'll spend.

The non-DOT lights meant for off-road or work lights seem to be good, I am just trying to find something reliable that works well and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I've seen light bars for sale between $40 and $1K. I understand that generally you get what you pay for, but $1K is well beyond what I want to spend - that would be a set of nice tires.

First thing i did to a Jeep was add aftermarket LED headlights. Safety First.
Stock lights are worthless.
Paid up for American made JW SPEAKER branded.
Felt stupid for the cost initially but it truly is Night and Day difference for me...
Very happy thus far.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top