JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club (KRRC) is looking for kids ages 10 to 16 to join our Junior Smallbore team. Club membership is not required. KRRC supplies the air rifles, shooting jackets, mats, scope and other equipment. The parent only needs to pay for the air rifle pellets which we can supply at cost. Basic Diabolo pellets are $6.00 for a tin of 500. Match grade pellets are $8.50 (Meisterkugeln) to $12.50 (R-10) per tin.

Our coaches teach air rifle and smallbore shooting to prepare our shooters for competition with other teams throughout the state. The KRRC junior team normally shoots 22lr rifles at 50 feet, 50 yards and 100 yards, but due to our difficulty in obtaining a use permit for the range we are not allowed to use firearms at the club at this time. This is why we are restricted to using air rifles for now.

Most of our team has gone on to shoot at other clubs. We are hoping to re-build our team using air rifles in preparation for when we can use smallbore firearms again. Most competitions in Washington are with smallbore rifle, but there are several air rifle competitions each year.

The air rifles we have available for our shooters include the Anschutz 8001, Feinwekbau 300S, Feinwerkbau 600/602 and CZ 200T. The CZ air rifles are cut down for smaller shooters. The other rifles are better suited for kids ages 11 and up. The FWB 600 rifles are best suited for kids 15 and older as they require more strength to operate the cocking lever in the prone position.

We teach our shooters to compete using ISSF and NRA rules in the prone, kneeling and offhand positions. The course of fire is one shot every 1-2 minutes depending upon the position. It is accuracy, not speed that counts.

The Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club is located on Seabeck Highway in Bremerton. We practice on Saturday 9am to 11am and Thursday 5pm to 7pm. If you have any questions, please contact me.

Randy Bragge
[email protected]
(360) 440-5889

Here are some photos of the types of rifles provided by the club for the kids to use. The rifles are provided by the coaches and club members for use by the junior rifle team shooters. All are designed for shooting 17 caliber pellets weighing 7.0 grains or 8.2 grains at paper or electronic targets at a range of ten meters or 33 feet. They are single shot rifles designed primarily for shooting offhand (standing) but are also commonly used in the kneeling and prone positions.

Please click on the pictures for a larger view.

Anschutz-8001-_Club_ANS-010695_rifle_zm1.jpg
Anschutz 8001. It is a pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) air rifle. The air cylinder below the barrel holds 200ml of air compressed up to 2900 psi. This is enough for about 200 shots prior to recharging with a scuba tank. All top level air rifles for Olympic style competition are PCP. The higher priced rifles have improved triggers and barrels. The cheaper ($1500) entry level rifles like the 8001 are entirely capable of shooting 100/100 on a ten meter target. It weighs 8.5 pounds but I have a weight set that will get it up near the 12.2 pound limit.

fwb_600.jpg
Feinwerkbau 600 This is a single stroke pneumatic air rifle. It was considered top of the line in the 1980's. It uses a long cocking lever to compress a small internal cylinder to provide enough power for a single shot. These rifles in good condition can be more accurate than the 8001 shown above. They do fatigue the shooter during long matches especially in the prone position. This rifle weighs 10.8 pounds.

300_S.jpg
Feinwerkbau 300S. This is a spring powered air rifle. Cocking it compresses a spring which powers a piston. The action recoils in the stock thus isolating movement from the shooter. It was considered the best of the lot in the early 1970's. I shot a 98/100 prone at an air rifle match a few years ago. It is capable of shooting 100/100. It is easier to cock and shoot than the FWB 600 shown above but is not as accurate. This rifle weighs about ten pounds. The club also has two mini versions of the 300S that have slightly smaller stocks and weigh a pound less.

Arcie_cz200.jpg
CZ 200T. This is an inexpensive air rifle made for the sporting rifle division. There are weight, dimension and price limits for the sporting rifle divisions to make it more accessible to younger shooters. I cut down two of these rifles for younger shooters ages 7 to 9 years old. These rifles are not as accurate as the others as the barrel is of lower quality and the trigger is rather heavy. But they weight less than 7 pounds so are much easier for the smaller kids to handle.

3_P.jpg
The three positions used. The jackets shown are supplied by the club. The buttons are adjustable for a proper fit for most of our shooters. We supply jackets and gloves, but trousers are not provided by the club. Most shooters obtain their own better fitting jackets and shooting trousers when they decide to commit to shooting. This is also when they will decide what kind of rifle to buy, usually something better than the entry level rifles provided by the club.

8001_target.jpg
A target I shot after I bought an 8001. Our shooters can expect to be shooting this well after several months of practice. The typical AR-5/10 target for ten meter air rifles has two bulls in the middle for sighting in shots and ten bulls for scoring. The tiny dot in the middle is the ten ring, it is only .5 millimeters (0.02") wide. The outermost 1 ring is 45.5 millimeters (1.8"). With only 20 minutes for 20 record shots plus sighters, there is a little under a minute per shot. A good shooter is expected to get ten out of ten bullseyes on each target in the prone position. This is why the college and Olympic level competitions are offhand only, no prone or kneeling.

imperfect_sighters.jpg
A closeup of a sighter target. The teenaged girl who shot this group to adjust her sights put three shots into the same hole prior to going on to shoot her ten record targets. But she should have adjusted her sights slightly to the right to perfectly center her shots. This is because at a competition using electronic scoring each ring is divided into ten segments. A perfectly centered shot is worth 10.9 points. If the shot barely touches the bullseye, it is only worth 10.0 points. So a perfect score is actually 109 points not 100 points.

Here is a link to the 2016 Olympic women's air rifle page on Wikipedia. Shooting at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Women's 10 metre air rifle - Wikipedia

The 8 best shooters from the qualification round shoot for medals. After eight shots the lowest scoring shooter is dropped. Every two shots later a shooter is dropped until only two remain. The American, Virginia Thrasher, managed to win gold even after missing the bullseye once! This is an example of just how hard this sport is to excel in.

One more thing. If you take a look at the men's air rifle final scores you will see that the best male air rifle shooter at the Olympics would have had to settle for a bronze medal if he had to compete with the women. It is my experience that girls learn to shoot better than boys at first, then the boys catch up. In the Olympic games the men out-shoot the women in smallbore rifle and pistol events, but the women outshine the men at air rifle.

In this world "shoot like a girl" means you're winning. :)

No replies, this is similar to what we are experiencing down here. My daughter is currently shooting smallbore 3p as well as air rifle. There are approx 5 regulars and a few others that show up on occasion. I hope you get your club back on track!

Here are some photos of the types of rifles provided by the club for the kids to use. The rifles are provided by the coaches and club members for use by the junior rifle team shooters. All are designed for shooting 17 caliber pellets weighing 7.0 grains or 8.2 grains at paper or electronic targets at a range of ten meters or 33 feet. They are single shot rifles designed primarily for shooting offhand (standing) but are also commonly used in the kneeling and prone positions.

Please click on the pictures for a larger view.

View attachment 506690
Anschutz 8001. It is a pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) air rifle. The air cylinder below the barrel holds 200ml of air compressed up to 2900 psi. This is enough for about 200 shots prior to recharging with a scuba tank. All top level air rifles for Olympic style competition are PCP. The higher priced rifles have improved triggers and barrels. The cheaper ($1500) entry level rifles like the 8001 are entirely capable of shooting 100/100 on a ten meter target. It weighs 8.5 pounds but I have a weight set that will get it up near the 12.2 pound limit.

View attachment 506691
Feinwerkbau 600 This is a single stroke pneumatic air rifle. It was considered top of the line in the 1980's. It uses a long cocking lever to compress a small internal cylinder to provide enough power for a single shot. These rifles in good condition can be more accurate than the 8001 shown above. They do fatigue the shooter during long matches especially in the prone position. This rifle weighs 10.8 pounds.

View attachment 506692
Feinwerkbau 300S. This is a spring powered air rifle. Cocking it compresses a spring which powers a piston. The action recoils in the stock thus isolating movement from the shooter. It was considered the best of the lot in the early 1970's. I shot a 98/100 prone at an air rifle match a few years ago. It is capable of shooting 100/100. It is easier to cock and shoot than the FWB 600 shown above but is not as accurate. This rifle weighs about ten pounds. The club also has two mini versions of the 300S that have slightly smaller stocks and weigh a pound less.

View attachment 506693
CZ 200T. This is an inexpensive air rifle made for the sporting rifle division. There are weight, dimension and price limits for the sporting rifle divisions to make it more accessible to younger shooters. I cut down two of these rifles for younger shooters ages 7 to 9 years old. These rifles are not as accurate as the others as the barrel is of lower quality and the trigger is rather heavy. But they weight less than 7 pounds so are much easier for the smaller kids to handle.

View attachment 506694
The three positions used. The jackets shown are supplied by the club. The buttons are adjustable for a proper fit for most of our shooters. We supply jackets and gloves, but trousers are not provided by the club. Most shooters obtain their own better fitting jackets and shooting trousers when they decide to commit to shooting. This is also when they will decide what kind of rifle to buy, usually something better than the entry level rifles provided by the club.

View attachment 506695
A target I shot after I bought an 8001. Our shooters can expect to be shooting this well after several months of practice. The typical AR-5/10 target for ten meter air rifles has two bulls in the middle for sighting in shots and ten bulls for scoring. The tiny dot in the middle is the ten ring, it is only .5 millimeters (0.02") wide. The outermost 1 ring is 45.5 millimeters (1.8"). With only 20 minutes for 20 record shots plus sighters, there is a little under a minute per shot. A good shooter is expected to get ten out of ten bullseyes on each target in the prone position. This is why the college and Olympic level competitions are offhand only, no prone or kneeling.

View attachment 506696
A closeup of a sighter target. The teenaged girl who shot this group to adjust her sights put three shots into the same hole prior to going on to shoot her ten record targets. But she should have adjusted her sights slightly to the right to perfectly center her shots. This is because at a competition using electronic scoring each ring is divided into ten segments. A perfectly centered shot is worth 10.9 points. If the shot barely touches the bullseye, it is only worth 10.0 points. So a perfect score is actually 109 points not 100 points.

Here is a link to the 2016 Olympic women's air rifle page on Wikipedia. Shooting at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Women's 10 metre air rifle - Wikipedia

The 8 best shooters from the qualification round shoot for medals. After eight shots the lowest scoring shooter is dropped. Every two shots later a shooter is dropped until only two remain. The American, Virginia Thrasher, managed to win gold even after missing the bullseye once! This is an example of just how hard this sport is to excel in.

One more thing. If you take a look at the men's air rifle final scores you will see that the best male air rifle shooter at the Olympics would have had to settle for a bronze medal if he had to compete with the women. It is my experience that girls learn to shoot better than boys at first, then the boys catch up. In the Olympic games the men out-shoot the women in smallbore rifle and pistol events, but the women outshine the men at air rifle.

In this world "shoot like a girl" means you're winning. :)
I like that. I have much respect for women shooters. Its a good thing you are doing for our youths. They are the future. I wish there was a place that offered this in my neck of the woods.

Bump.

I'm still looking for new shooters. Precision air rifle is fun and a valuable training aid for those who want to learn to shoot small bore or high power rifles.

Call me at (360) 440-5889 if you are interested. The team meets twice a week for practice..

Randy Bragge

The Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club (KRRC) is looking for kids ages 10 to 16 to join our Junior Smallbore team. Club membership is not required. KRRC supplies the air rifles, shooting jackets, mats, scope and other equipment. The parent only needs to pay for the air rifle pellets which we can supply at cost. Basic Diabolo pellets are $6.00 for a tin of 500. Match grade pellets are $8.50 (Meisterkugeln) to $12.50 (R-10) per tin.

Our coaches teach air rifle and smallbore shooting to prepare our shooters for competition with other teams throughout the state. The KRRC junior team normally shoots 22lr rifles at 50 feet, 50 yards and 100 yards, but due to our difficulty in obtaining a use permit for the range we are not allowed to use firearms at the club at this time. This is why we are restricted to using air rifles for now.

Most of our team has gone on to shoot at other clubs. We are hoping to re-build our team using air rifles in preparation for when we can use smallbore firearms again. Most competitions in Washington are with smallbore rifle, but there are several air rifle competitions each year.

The air rifles we have available for our shooters include the Anschutz 8001, Feinwekbau 300S, Feinwerkbau 600/602 and CZ 200T. The CZ air rifles are cut down for smaller shooters. The other rifles are better suited for kids ages 11 and up. The FWB 600 rifles are best suited for kids 15 and older as they require more strength to operate the cocking lever in the prone position.

We teach our shooters to compete using ISSF and NRA rules in the prone, kneeling and offhand positions. The course of fire is one shot every 1-2 minutes depending upon the position. It is accuracy, not speed that counts.

The Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club is located on Seabeck Highway in Bremerton. We practice on Saturday 9am to 11am and Thursday 5pm to 7pm. If you have any questions, please contact me.

Randy Bragge
[email protected]
(360) 440-5889
I have a target shooting jacket, spotting scope, and stand I would like to donate to a youth shooting group in the Vancouver, WA area. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
HenryL

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews