JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After some work on the bur between the feed ramp and the chamber, she's feeding a lot better. I need to do some more work and I'm sure I'll fix the FTF malfunctions.

The slide locking open early appears to be a common problem where the slide stop is too long and bumping some of the bullets as they come up the magazine. A bit of copper being deposited onto the slide stop shows the issue.

Kimber has long suffered from competition. They have long been known as a higher end 1911. Problem is they make a LOT of them. They also try to remain competitive. This often leads to some slipping past the QA. The story you're telling here is not uncommon for a Kimber. You will of course see LOT's of people who love theirs since if this happened all the time no one would buy their stuff. This of course does not make the guy who gets a lemon feel better. If you can't fix it with simple steps see if Kimber will send you a label / box to return it. Saves a lot of hassle that way. If they won't see if the dealer will send it in for you.

327988-53988341dba473883f131c669c02038c.jpg

You need a 40lb recoil spring. jk

I've resorted at times to working on used guns and mags to clean them up so they function properly. But with brand new stuff (especially expensive brand new stuff), I insist that the manufacturer fix it, or replace it, on their dime.

S&W and Ruger have both been excellent about such repairs, the latter even replacing a pistol outright when I showed them some deformation on the ejection port I didn't like. Turnaround was about 10 days in all three cases, and they paid for Fed Ex, with no FFL nonsense involved.

Sorry to hear about the malfunctions Rob. Very frustrating - I know. The hard part, for me anyway, is being forced to exercise patience while I wait for the manufacturer to eventually deliver a weapon (potentially for self-defense) that should've worked 100% right out of the box with standard factory mags.

I would send that cartridge picture to Kimber. Tell them you were guarding camp and when confronted by a bear your Kimber would not function and you were saved by a guy with a hi point. And a popular hunting mag wants to publish your story. :D

Joking aside send them the pic to expedite things. And 3000 viewers are waiting to see how they handle it. That's a safety and function issue there.

I would send that cartridge picture to Kimber. Tell them you were guarding camp and when confronted by a bear your Kimber would not function and you were saved by a guy with a hi point. And a popular hunting mag wants to publish your story. :D

Joking aside send them the pic to expedite things. And 3000 viewers are waiting to see how they handle it. That's a safety and function issue there.

+1

Pictures speak thousands of words. I emailed some simple iPhone pics to the head tech at Ruger, he took a look, agreed on the phone to replace a defective weapon and emailed me a paid shipping label to make the swap.

Depending on what needs to get resolved, Kimber should demonstrate a similar level of customer support.

A friend brought a new camp guard home from the RMEF extravaganza a few months ago. It's beautiful and runs fine. My Kimber 10mm is the most accurate 1911 I own. Everyone that shoots it tries to buy it from me.

OP, I'm willing to bet that once you blend the feed ramp into the chamber a little bit, and bevel and polish the barrel hood slightly, your feed issues will go away. As for the funky "nub" in the mag follower, just file it off and it should be good to go!

May I suggest that you contact Kimber about the issue?
I bought a Tanfolio 10mm. It worked just fine, but the sights were way off and not adjustable. It took me a while to figure out why, but eventually it all worked out. The 10mm is a fun round to shoot, but when the gun has unusual set of problems it can be a real headache.

It sounds like the glock thing was handled already...

But....

Seriously, Glock 20 all day everyday.

I tried to kill mine, I failed.