JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As far as Kesselring's being overpriced, I don't think so for the most part but that's just my opinion. Probably depends on what you're looking for, just like any other store... I do like their selection, though.

Their prices have come down recently, at least on certain things. They have had more local competition and I think they are have started feeling the pressure. I still don't like the attitudes though and that makes the biggest difference for me.

They sure do cram a lot of inventory in that little store.

Staff have always been friendly and helpful.

There is a lot of selection and quite a variety of firearms and reloading supplies. I don't get to go that often, but always worth a trip.

Had a great experience at Kesserlring's recently. Purchased a M&P40c, couple hundred rounds of various ammo, holster, and large pistol primers. Not only did they have alot in stock that I have had trouble finding elsewhere, but their prices were actually really good. The customer service was really great, I got immediate assistance from different people, they all offered to show me whatever I was looking at, and the guy who helped me with the handgun purchase noticed the packaging was missing one of the grip inserts so he made a trip to the back 'warehouse' and got a brand new one to make sure I had everything the gun came with. Rated 5-stars for sure.
I think some of the attitude is appropriate for the biggest little gun store in the state, coupled with it's out in the boonies. I mean have any of you been to a bar in downtown Sedro-Woolley? You might get a little attitude as well with your city slicker hair cuts and fancy jeans.. lol

In the last ten years I purchased two G23's plus ammo from Kesselrings.

Like most of you, I found them unfriendly and the location makes you check your piece to make sure you are ready for a roadside ambush.

The one thing I really did not like was when I was picking up my first G23, when the 40-cal first came out, law enforcement had just starting moving to 40 cal so they were new, while standing at the handgun counter, the clerk handed a new G23 to a customer then went into the back room to look for my order. Only myself and the other customer were at the counter. Nobody else. The other customer completely stripped the Glock, faster than I have ever seen it done. He handled the parts, one by one, then peered down the barrel, as if to see if it was really new. He put the gun back together as fast as he took it apart. The clerk returned from the back room with my gun and the customer handed him the Glock and left.

There are signs everywhere, saying do not disassemble firearms. I thought that was bad of the clerk to give that customer the opportunity to switch out old gun parts for new. I'm not saying the guy switched parts but he was so fast he could have easily done it.

I don't think the clerk should leave the counter when guns are handed out.

Most likely the customer you saw was well known to the clerk. If you are on the "good 'ol boys list" you can get away with stuff that the walk ins and sometimes customer can't. Simply, it's who you know.

Roadside ambush? Really? In the whole of Skagit county Kesselrings parking lot is the least likely place to get rolled. ****, damn near everybody there is armed, customers included. Lots of video surveillance. Now a quarter mile in each direction is a different story. Tweakers and such.

Last Edited:
It used to be the best shop around in the 70's & 80's. I used to shoot trap w/ the Clarence Kesselring & his grandson Don. Getting bigger is not always better; now their customer service is very poor and their prices are much higher than everyone else. Not worth the trip up to Bow anymore.

Was in Weds.They had what I needed, showed me where it was, I made a pile on the counter, wandered around a little, someone showed me a new rifle, I paid my money and left. I'll have to admit it was a quiet day. :cool:

Kesselring definitely has cornered and captured the 'rustic charm' of owner-operated gun shops visited in my youth - guns, ammo, and accessories stacked to the rafters, loosely organized. It's more of a shack than anything else, but it does have some nice stuff.

Rarely are the fellas around there sitting still: they are either working with someone directly, looking up something for someone in the store, on the phone, or restocking merchandise from their ample supply of 'stuff' (guns/ammo/etc.) from the bowels of their basement,... which I heard houses as many, or more guns than are on display on the floor.

I actually 'like' the fact that they let you do your thing when you're there and have always been more than willing to help if asked. Going into big-box stores or those that have 'everything' behind the counter doesn't allow for simple browsing. I like being able to walk through Kesselrings' ample used-rifle and shotgun section and pick up and handle whatever catches my fancy.

The guys there are generally very knowledgeable about what's on their floor, but with inventory constantly revolving in and out of there, I can understand why they don't know 'everything' there is to know about a particular firearm. If you're serious about something in particular, I highly recommend asking them about it and if there is any chance they might have more options in their basement - I've been surprised by what they have on-hand stored downstairs.

Are the clerks a little gruff? Yeah, that's probably putting it nicely, but it's not hard to figure out why. Arms buyers, in general, are notorious tire-kickers and after having spent any time in the store observing the interactions between the clerks and the customers, you quickly realize that the majority of the 'customers' are simply looking around, or merely want someone to listen to their story "about the time I had a similar rifle on an elk hunt when a bear jumped out and,..." you get the idea. Maybe it's the rustic atmosphere, or the rural location, but for whatever reason, customers tend to think of the place akin to a barbershop in which 'hanging out' is as important as buying something,... and for the most part, it is! They don't discourage looking around and are more than willing to help you if you need it, but don't waste their time. They don't have time for it and you wouldn't either.

Overall, I really like having Kesselring in my back yard,... I just wish it was a little closer to civilization (me) :D

I wanted to respond to a comment made by a fella who obviously is mislead in terms of customer service and the act of salemanship:

Sir you are way off the mark, every customer who walks through the door of a merchant's business is a potential buyer and should be treated as such irregardless of the way he or she is dressed, I'll waiger that Kesselring would agree in that city folks make up a large and un replaceable amount or revenue for their business.

Judging a customer from appearance is a error most successful businesse's can not afford to make. I grew up in the country and moved to the city because that is where the jobs are, I buy atleast 2-3 new guns annually and I dress like I wish.

One day it will dawn on you that your opinions do not have as high a commodity as you once percieved.

Unfortunately, my experience with this shop seems to be on par with most people's.

I walked into the shop with cash in my wallet when I was shopping for my first pistol, and was treated quite poorly. The clerks seemed like I was very much troubling them by looking at guns which I was planning to buy that day.

After the second or third eye-roll when asking to handle a different pistol, I stated that I was not interested and left.

I really an unsure as to why I was treated this way, and can't figure out if it was just a bad time (mid-day on a weekday) or if I was judged simply because I am younger than most of their customers. Either way, I was not greeted and helped the way I was expecting from a country location, and have not returned to find out if this is their standard process.

I've dealt with every member of their family from old Clarence to Ron and now Don. This is not a store for anyone looking for a discount or crap guns and merchandise.

I bought the last two of my guns there mainly because they had stock, not promises. I got to see what I was giving my money for and was able to make a nice deal in both cases. Hint---Go in with CASH. Not checks or Credit Card, "Dead Presidents". If you are a reloader they have powder, primers, and components at OK prices. They don't beat Online prices but they usually have it for the person that needs it now.

As for their staff, they don't have the best customer friendly attitude, perhaps because they are used to dealing with people that know what they want. Still better than getting a "smoke job" from one of the "discounters".

I've been going to Kesselring's for about 5 years or so. The ol' man (who i think is the owner) really does a great job when he helps me out. When I started reloading my own ammo, he was very helpful and was full of great suggestions. On the other side of the store, where the pistols are sold, is a totally different story. The heavier guy who is blond, and about in his twenties is a lazy jerk. I bought only one pistol from them, only because of this guy. I have a safe full of weapons, and only one of the pistols was purcahsed from Kesselrings. Unfortunately, their customer service is lacking in that area. I probably would have invested more money into buying my pistols at Kesselrings, but because of the one guy's horrible attitute and service, I only bother with reloading equipment.

When i bought my pistol there, it took him over 30 mins to call-in my info because he literally took his sweet time! Then, he went to fetch the box it came in, and he broke it and said "Awe...sorry"!(he didnt do anything to fix it, so i came home with a broken box) Aside from that incident, I will still continue to give them my hard earned $..

I've been going to Kesselring's for about 5 years or so. The ol' man (who i think is the owner) really does a great job when he helps me out.

Unless the "ol' man" was named Ron, he's not the owner (Ron is now retired). The new Owner is Donnie, Ron's son. He has a gold filling in one of his teeth, baggy eyes, and is about 5' 10 or so. He's good if you can actually talk with him. There are a couple of younger employees there that haven't learned yet how to deal with coustomer yet. As I said in an earlier post NEVER, if you can avoid it, go on a Saturday. The place is busy and everything will take time.

The last pistol I purchased there, I called first, talked to Wayne, and he had one set out for me to look at. From beginning to end the whole process including NICS check took less than 30 minutes. That's not bad for ANY gun store with a business like theirs.

I went in to Kesselring's during the Obama Ammo Crisis of 2008. The fact they had any ammo at all was surprising. I got 2 boxes of S&B .303 British for $14 a box, and 2 boxes of S&B .45 ACP for $12 a box. Also got some 12-gauge "Minishells" for $4. Overall it was a cool place, but the sort of guns they had there didn't really work for me, and I won't go there to buy any guns.

I went in to Kesselring's during the Obama Ammo Crisis of 2008. The fact they had any ammo at all was surprising. I got 2 boxes of S&B .303 British for $14 a box, and 2 boxes of S&B .45 ACP for $12 a box. Also got some 12-gauge "Minishells" for $4. Overall it was a cool place, but the sort of guns they had there didn't really work for me, and I won't go there to buy any guns.

They definitely aren't a "Black Rifle" or "Tacticool" shop but they do know their stuff. If you're looking for a bolt action, even a "tacticool" they've got them in stock. Most other shops use the "give me some money and I'll order it for you" line.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.