JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bought a pf9 when they were on sale during Christmas at northwest armory for $199 last year. Bought it knowing kel tec does not have the best rep. But I gotta say so far I am pretty impressed with it. I have 6 boxes through it mixed brass and steel case as well as a few HP's. Zero problems so far (knock on wood). Prettt darn accurate for what it is. The sights are nothing to write home about and the snappiness of it does start to wear on my hand some. But overall I am glad I bought it.
The pf9 looks good and has a good price. You know I have enough pistols I trust my life to. Maybe I should give them another chance as a range toy or training pistol.

The KelTek Pf-9 is no target pistol for sure. That is for anyone other than Hickok45.:rolleyes:
As long as my wife can keep all 7 on an 8x10 the length of the garage and it goes
bang every time, we're good to go.:p

I like Ruger pistols. I own two and have never had a problem. with that said my wife hates the kick of my LC9s. But she likes my walther PPQ.

I think it is super important that every person picks what is comfortable for them. If they don't they won't shoot it or even be afraid of it. Which is not a good thing in a stressful moment when you need to use it to defend yourself or loved ones that you are with.

The KelTek Pf-9 is no target pistol for sure. That is for anyone other than Hickok45.:rolleyes:
As long as my wife can keep all 7 on an 8x10 the length of the garage and it goes
bang every time, we're good to go.:p

Well, holes all over the target will stop them faster then all of them thru the same spot - at least that my logic at work:D

+1 on the rental thing.

My neighbors wife started out carrying a .22 because it was the only thing she shot well. She has since graduated to a larger caliber and really likes it. Better to have something you shoot well then nothing at all or something your afraid to carry so it sits at home.;)

YES!!! To the OP PLEASE don't hand her a gun you picked out for her. This often works, often it does not. As for the P-11 I have one I've had for over 15 years. It still impresses me. I use it in place of the times I used to carry a 5 shot .38. My kids like it, my Wife will NOT shoot it. The little plastic .380's have this same problem. I think they are the best thing since sliced bread. Not everyone does. If someone is recoil sensitive they may not want to shoot it. If they don't want to practice they are FAR better off with something they will shoot for fun.

YES!!! To the OP PLEASE don't hand her a gun you picked out for her. This often works, often it does not. As for the P-11 I have one I've had for over 15 years. It still impresses me. I use it in place of the times I used to carry a 5 shot .38. My kids like it, my Wife will NOT shoot it. The little plastic .380's have this same problem. I think they are the best thing since sliced bread. Not everyone does. If someone is recoil sensitive they may not want to shoot it. If they don't want to practice they are FAR better off with something they will shoot for fun.
My wife was better than I was with the old m&p45. I was like well... There's your gun.

She currently uses my third gen g17 as her bedroom gun.

By all means I will executably have here pick the fire arm out her self but I am gathering information so I don't miss out on any opertunity for her to pick the right gun.

Back to the original question of Kel-Tec vs Ruger:

Firearm visionary George Kellgren who founded Intratec, Grendel and finally Kel-Tec has many innovate designs that were ground breaking, however the construction materials (cheap feeling plastic and high-carbon steel that tends to rust) and a lack of quality control leave much to be desired. Even after all that, my wife does own a Kel-Tec P32 that weighs less than 10 ounces fully loaded with Leigh Defense 32acp Extreme Cavitator. Since they are light and cheap, Kel-Tecs tend to get purchased and stored in a nightstand without being shot much.

Bill Ruger was not in favor of regular civilians carrying, so his company was late to the party. Ruger did copy/ripoff the Kel-Tec P3AT and PF-9 with the LCP now the LCP2 and LC9 which was later improved to the LC9s Pro. The materials were better (Glass filled nylon and higher quality alloy steel) and quality control is very good. Because of that there are many high round count Rugers still in folks collections. The Ruger LC9s is my daily carry.

Here is a local Kel-Tec P11 review

.First time she tried it in.22, she said, "This is just like shooting the pellet gun, but what happens if I have to use it in 9mm? :eek:
I told her, adrenaline will kick in and you'll never notice the difference. ;)
I did the same thing. I loaded the 9 oz .357 magnum with 180gr Buffalo Bore woods carry ammo and said the same thing.

lol, not.

No matter what gun I've had my wife shoot over the years, she has always surprised me as to which ones she likes and which ones she doesn't. That tells me that she is better at choosing the right gun for her than I am. With that in mind, I have to agree 100% with everyone else that said it - try before you buy. Otherwise your modest investment could be a costly one when the gun ends up sitting unused.

May I also recommend you consider the SCCY CPX-2. It's a bit larger than the LCP, for example, but still small enough to conceal and very comfortable to shoot. Price is well within your range, made in the US and lifetime warranty. I've owned 2 so far and both were great guns. Thinking of running by the wife as one option now that she's expressing an interest in carrying and wanting to switch from a revolver to semi-auto for that reason.

Thanks guys...it's all your fault. Now I had to try the lcp2. Will report back with how it does hopefully soon.

IMG_20170319_141921.jpg

What sold me was the trigger. Typically on a gun that small, my bigger hands and long fingers pull too much on a gun like this. When I dry fired the display gun, I was sold. It just works for me. Muzzle doesn't pull at all.

It's settled I will be buying the S&W M&P 9 Sheild for my fiancé. She is left handed and I figured I would have to go with something ambidextrous but I recently found out she shoots and feels more comfortable with shooting right. Not going with the Kel-Tec or the LCP. S&W never fails.

It's settled I will be buying the S&W M&P 9 Sheild for my fiancé. She is left handed and I figured I would have to go with something ambidextrous but I recently found out she shoots and feels more comfortable with shooting right. Not going with the Kel-Tec or the LCP. S&W never fails.
My mother inlaw has one. No complaints.

I have a S&W M&P .40 and it is a great gun. Every time my friends or family shoot it they want one and they are all Glock guys and some of them are law enforcement so they are Glock all the way so that says a lot. The M&P 9 Sheild will be perfect.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top