JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm purchasing my fiancé a new pistol to carry on her person. This will be her first firearm so it doesn't have to be flashy, in fact I want it to be a cheaper pistol so she can gratuate to a more expensive one with experience. My S&W M&P .40 is a little to much kick for her right now as it takes to long for her to line up for her next shot. I'm looking into a Ruger LPC .380 or a Kel-Tec P-11 9mm. I'm looking in the $275 range. I'm willing to drive in Oregon if it is in the $199 range but I live in GP and would rather stay relatively local if I can. What are your thoughts on these models and what are some other options? This is a narrow window but I know they are out there somewhere. Thanks

Ruger:
$199 @ Northwest Armory Tigard
SPECIFICATIONS:
Mfg Item Num: 3701
Category: PISTOLS
Type :pistol
Action :Double
Caliber :380 Automatic Colt Pistol (ACP)
Barrel Length :2.75"
Capacity :6+1
Safety :No Manual
Grips :Checkered Polymer
Sights :Fixed
Weight :9.40 oz
Frame Finish :Blued

Kel-Tec:
$261 @ Good Guys Guns Medford
Department <broken link removed>
Type Pistol
Action Double Action
Caliber 9mm
Barrel Length 3.1"
Capacity 10+1
Safety Hammer Block
Grips Polymer
Sights 3-Dot
Weight 14 oz
Frame Finish Black
Frame Material Aluminum Alloy
Gun Type Pistol
Slide Finish Black
Model P11PKBLK
Caliber/Gauge 9MM

Dunno about either one.

I do know you (and she) would be best suited buying the handgun with which she can shoot comfortably.

If she hasn't had a chance to shoot either one, then I would strongly recommend you find someplace which has them to rent, or find a friend whom has the respective ones your looking to buy to try out first.

Go to a range that rents pistols and let your girl pick one out herself. You can give her the cash to pay for it before so you do not get accused of it being a straw purchase. Make sure that she has a good system to carry on body, because they find that once fully loaded that guns are heavy and do not mix well with female fashion. Remember that a light pistol may have too much recoil for a small female.

I'm purchasing my fiancé a new pistol to carry on her person. This will be her first firearm so it doesn't have to be flashy, in fact I want it to be a cheaper pistol so she can gratuate to a more expensive one with experience. My S&W M&P .40 is a little to much kick for her right now as it takes to long for her to line up for her next shot. I'm looking into a Ruger LPC .380 or a Kel-Tec P-11 9mm. I'm looking in the $275 range. I'm willing to drive in Oregon if it is in the $199 range but I live in GP and would rather stay relatively local if I can. What are your thoughts on these models and what are some other options? This is a narrow window but I know they are out there somewhere. Thanks

Ruger:
$199 @ Northwest Armory Tigard
SPECIFICATIONS:
Mfg Item Num: 3701
Category: PISTOLS
Type :pistol
Action :Double
Caliber :380 Automatic Colt Pistol (ACP)
Barrel Length :2.75"
Capacity :6+1
Safety :No Manual
Grips :Checkered Polymer
Sights :Fixed
Weight :9.40 oz
Frame Finish :Blued

Kel-Tec:
$261 @ Good Guys Guns Medford
Department <broken link removed>
Type Pistol
Action Double Action
Caliber 9mm
Barrel Length 3.1"
Capacity 10+1
Safety Hammer Block
Grips Polymer
Sights 3-Dot
Weight 14 oz
Frame Finish Black
Frame Material Aluminum Alloy
Gun Type Pistol
Slide Finish Black
Model P11PKBLK
Caliber/Gauge 9MM
Bi mart in Roseburg has the lcp 380 for $197, I would imagine your local Bi mart would sell them for about the same price.

Man , I really need coffee ... At first read I thought this thread was Kel-Tec vs Burger... :D
I would second the motion that you all find a place to rent both guns and see which one she likes better.
Andy

Agree with finding a place to rent a few different handguns for her to try out especially if she is recoil sensitive. I have experience with the kel tec p11 and the slightly smaller Pf9. Both are pretty "snappy" and require a firm grip. Can't speak for the LCP.

+1 on the rental thing.

My neighbors wife started out carrying a .22 because it was the only thing she shot well. She has since graduated to a larger caliber and really likes it. Better to have something you shoot well then nothing at all or something your afraid to carry so it sits at home.;)

My wife picked out the KelTec PF-9 because she liked the feel.
I tried it before I let her shoot it, thought it was a "little snappy", it cratered primers and the trigger pinched my finger,
so I sent it back to KelTec.:(
While it was gone, I bought a .22lr adapter kit for it from Twisted Industries.
First time she tried it in.22, she said, "This is just like shooting the pellet gun, but what happens if I have to use it in 9mm? :eek:
I told her, adrenaline will kick in and you'll never notice the difference. ;)

Does S&W make an M&P in 9mm? not real familiar

The Shield?

Man that video....Tough to watch.

No on the Kel-tec from me. Probably no on the LCP too. Kinda depends on if the wife shoots guns all ready? If not, getting a mouse gun for a first gun is the wrong way to start. At least that's the experience we had. That's why watching that little gal was tough to watch. Those little guns aren't fun to shoot, and they are hard to shoot well, especially for someone as a brand new shooter.

The Shield?

Man that video....Tough to watch.

No on the Kel-tec from me. Probably no on the LCP too. Kinda depends on if the wife shoots guns all ready? If not, getting a mouse gun for a first gun is the wrong way to start. At least that's the experience we had. That's why watching that little gal was tough to watch. Those little guns aren't fun to shoot, and they are hard to shoot well, especially for someone as a brand new shooter.

My original thought was to get the M&P 9c because we have shot one and she likes it well enough. She is left handed and right eyed. Recently we had my cousin that's a park ranger in training slap it in her right hand and she was a way better shot and was more comfortable that way. I don't need the 9c anymore because we don't need a ambidextrous set up. Might look into the M&P .22 or the M&P 9 Sheild again. And only $60 more. But still open to suggestions on what we should check out at the rental for her to try.

Have her try to rack the slide on the P11. I had one, and I struggled to chamber a round because the spring was so stiff. This was a whil ago, so I dpn't know if they've improved, but It would not shoot reliably at all (FTF AND FTE). I love my LCP.

Have her try to rack the slide on the P11. I had one, and I struggled to chamber a round because the spring was so stiff. This was a whil ago, so I dpn't know if they've improved, but It would not shoot reliably at all (FTF AND FTE). I love my LCP.

Welcome back man!!! Great to see you posting again (although maybe I'm late to the party cuz I don't read every thread:rolleyes:).

Misteramax
The KelTec PF-9 is just a machine.:rolleyes:
Mine works.:)
Sorry about yours.:(
If you're throwing yours away.:eek:
Throw it my way.:D
The only good gun I had from them was a gen 1 sub2000 in 9mm. I was tempted to buy a pmr but I'm just kel-tec shy. I get everyone has failer rates. I don't feel ok protect my life with a keltec with their current state of manufacturing.

Bought a pf9 when they were on sale during Christmas at northwest armory for $199 last year. Bought it knowing kel tec does not have the best rep. But I gotta say so far I am pretty impressed with it. I have 6 boxes through it mixed brass and steel case as well as a few HP's. Zero problems so far (knock on wood). Prettt darn accurate for what it is. The sights are nothing to write home about and the snappiness of it does start to wear on my hand some. But overall I am glad I bought it.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews