JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I did a search and only found one similar thread and it was about a Tavor.

I have had a .300 Whisper (pre 300BO) for many years now. I had a custom barrel built by Lija which was $$$. I have put about 200 rounds though this since I have had it. There are a wide variety of reasons why it has been seldom used, but one comes down to ammo price. Even reloading you are looking at $0.75/rd unless I am missing a good deal on heavy bullets. I have dies, and a few round short of 500 with about 1/2 of them hand loaded, and about 125 more heavy bullets ready to load.

I am also looking at consolidating calibers and just in general downsizing life (that is another thread). I was sure I was ready to move on from this caliber but now I am having second thoughts, but not sure why. I even have a new 16" .223 Wylde barrel showing up today to replace the Whisper barrel.

I know I can shoot lighter bullets which are cheaper, but unless you are shooting SS I see no advantage to shooting it vs other common calibers that are less expensive. I already have a lot of .223 and have all of the equipment to load a lot more. For this "change" I am planning a lightweight "DMR", https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/light-weight-dmr.432879/ since that is something I would use more frequently. While not as quiet I will use my can on the DMR as well as other rifles. If I want Whisper quiet, while it does not have the same impact, I have a 9mm AR that has about the same noise level.

So here are my options:
Just sell since I am not using it
Keep it because it is costing me nothing and someday I might use it
Buy another upper for the new .223 barrel so I can just swap but that costs more and is more stuff (upper, parts kit and forearm will run about $250-$350 depending on what I buy)
Other option that I have not considered???

Thoughts?

Keep it @todays price for 300 parts I doubt you get out what you have into it, I always check here or gun broker or less for deals on 308 projectiles have accumulated quite a few that way.

If you're not hard up for $$$, I'd say keep it and put it into another upper.

I too have been on the downsizing train for more than a few years.
I've got 5 lowers and not planning on getting any more, I'm just building uppers from now on.

Good luck with your decision.

I'd keep it and put together another upper, but I like having options. Plus, I bet you would not get your $ back out of that barrel.
Not sure what bullets you are loading, my last purchase was a 1,000 220grn from Steel Valley Casting for $187.

I'd keep it and put together another upper, but I like having options. Plus, I bet you would not get your $ back out of that barrel.
Not sure what bullets you are loading, my last purchase was a 1,000 220grn from Steel Valley Casting for $187.
While that is a good price, it is not recommend to shoot non-jacketed bullets in silencers.

If I could find jacketed bullets for under $0.30/rd I would pick up a bunch and be good. Although I probably would not shoot it that much more, again thinning out. Most of the bullets I can find are $0.50 or higher.

300 BLK shines in short barreled ARs with 110 gr supers at 2,400 fps. On short barrel ARs, it's a better choice than .223, IMHO. I suppose subs in silenced SBR ARs have some utility for door kickers and sneaky Pete soldier types.

It is fun to shoot subs from a silenced bolt gun or silenced AR. I have not shot anything living with mine, but will if an opportunity arises, which would probably be vermin control. Supersonics in bolt guns are great for kids or adults to use on white tail deer at 200 yds or so. I've used mine in mini PRS type rifle matches out to 285 yds. I shoot a lot more than I hunt, and .300 BLK has provided fun for 10 yrs or so.

All of the above is easier if you reload ammo. If you are not having fun with subs and silencers, and aren't doing SBR ARs, it might be time to sell and get something you'll use.

I periodically run supers thru the can and let the blast and heat take care of whatever was left behind by the coated lead subsonic rounds.

Ditch it.

If you shoot suppressed a lot and it is your go to QCB rig. Keep it.

Otherwise it's sitting unused, it will likely always sit unused.

It isn't easy getting an AR in 300blk to run all ammos in all modes, aka suppressed AND unsuppressed.

If I ever got back into 300 black. It would be a well oiled subsonic ONLY semi with as short as a barrel as possible that will stabilize the heavy defense bullets. It would be small, light and reliable. Otherwise I'd just stick with pistol calibers.

Ditch it.

If you shoot suppressed a lot and it is your go to QCB rig. Keep it.

Otherwise it's sitting unused, it will likely always sit unused.

It isn't easy getting an AR in 300blk to run all ammos in all modes, aka suppressed AND unsuppressed.

If I ever got back into 300 black. It would be a well oiled subsonic ONLY semi with as short as a barrel as possible that will stabilize the heavy defense bullets. It would be small, light and reliable. Otherwise I'd just stick with pistol calibers.
Ive never figured out how they got a piston driven 5.5" barrel SBR to run on every kind of 300 BO I've poured into it but they did it.

PXL_20220930_132346024.jpg

Ive never figured out how they got a piston driven 5.5" barrel SBR to run on every kind of 300 BO I've poured into it but they did it.

View attachment 1334203
That is a very useful looking rig. Perhaps the best example of a really good 300 blackout. I'm pretty sure that's what it was designed for too. Just needs a good light! Maybe a K can too!

IMHO it just makes sense to swap the barrel and maybe gas tube instead of getting a whole new upper. You could probably get almost the same money for just the Lija than you would spend on a new complete upper, taking into consideration you don't replace it with another Lija.

Depends on what use you have for it. If you're not shooting it and it doesn't fit your uses, it makes sense to move it down the road or sell the upper to someone who has a use for it. If you are shooting more long range targets, varmints, etc... the Wylde barrel makes a lot of sense and ammo is cheaper...

@Nwcid took my advice before I even gave it!

Switching it to a ,223/5.56 without replacing the complete upper is the cheapest way to make it happen. If it's costing 50 cents to a dollar for components to then assemble ammunition for the 300BO, time and money will be saved by buying new .223 or 5.56 ammo.
I like unique cartridges, too, but it's not cool when ammo isn't available to shoot it with. Time is a precious commodity, too.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top