JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't know very much about these, apart from the fact that i want one, and have seen prices range from 100 to 1500. What can I expect in the price range of 250-300?

What should I look for in terms of markings or the condition of the rifle?

Thanks for any help guys.

Try to get one that was made in Germany before 1943. They were as well made as commercial sporters at that time. After 1943 the war started going badly for the Germans and they started cheapening out on the product. They also used slave labor for assembling the guns. The Model 98 Mauser action is THE ONE that most all subsequent bolt actions have copied. Afetr all, how do you improve on the best? I have seen them advertised in Shotgun News for $200 to $300. Make sure the bores are good because the ammo used in those days was usually corrosive. I have one that has a bore that looks like new.
There are also a number of after market parts available for these guns and J&G sales (and a few others) have low priced 8MM ammo for practice and good quality ammo for hunting. Never forget to clean it after shooting because a clean gun is "man's best friend"! A gunsmith can also install barrels in other calibers such as .308, 30-06, .270 and many others.

Thanks for the help guys, that other forum is pretty nice, i've found some more info on them. It looks like for my price range i'll need a Russian Capture Kar98k, I don't intend to sporterize it or hunt with it, and I want to keep it in 8mm caliber. I put up an ad here, do you guys know any place local that has any?

Try to avoid guns made in factories that employed slave or forced labor. There is a three letter manufacturers code on most of the guns. Look them up and try to stick with the guns made in Germany and like was said before, 1943 or before.

I am just looking for a shooter, I do not have the resources or time to collect yet. The most important things to me really, are that it be safe to shoot, and have a good bore. The outside looks and stamps are unimportant. I have not actually seen any RC guns in person, does anyone know what kind of bores they have on average?

I went to both the Portland gun show and the Albany one, and didn't see a single Kar98. Ditto with Philomath gun shop and corvallis gun shop. I even have an ad up here and haven't gotten a single reply.

If it comes to it, I will buy one online. I strongly prefer to see them in person though, which is why I haven't already purchased one online.

That first auction looks pretty good, if the price hasn't gone too high I might have to bid on it. It's a J.P. Sauer & Sohn if i'm not mistaken, and '37 seems like it would be a high quality rifle.

I have a sporterized k98 in .270 win. The action was made in 1943, and has the cool swastika with the eagle. Just had it completly restored last year. Floated the barrel, glass bedded it, sanded and refinished the stock, and bead blasted and cerakoted every single part. Sighted it in for deer hunting this year and it shot half inch groups off sand bags. Took a 3x2 at 357 yards shooting across a canyon, dropped wear it was hit. Love, Love, Love this gun!!!! Not worth much money, but wouldn't trade it for anything.