JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For various reasons, I don't get much range time these days. So I thought I'd try backyard plinking with an Airsoft, but after a little research I changed gears and bought a couple of BB guns. I wanted the Barra 400e butI can't justify that kind of spend, and I didn't want to get into the cost of co2 consumables, so single shot it is for now.

I have a Hatsan Airtact and a Beeman p17 on the way. Did I do ok? Any tips?

Also have a kid sized rifle coming that will go under the tree for my girls. They have shown no/negative interest so far,, but it's worth a shot.

Last Edited:
If after trying them for a while you decide you like it a PCP one will be nice. They make the shooting a lot more fun when you no longer have the cocking or pumping for each shot. If you go with on of these its worth buying an electric pump to fill them. Trigger time with any air gun is great practice and its fun to be able to shoot at your own home!

I think it's a good entry point... and you might find it satisfies your itch. I have to agree with @Alexx1401 though. A PCP is a whole nother level and doubt you'll ever go back if you ever take the plunge. They can be quite serious hunters beyond just plinking paper... silent and deadly. :s0155:

They are also incredibly cheaper to run over rimfire, and in many situations, nearly as capable and certainly just as accurate... with the right setup. It's my preferred for many small game.

I'll second too... an electric air pump is a very wise investment if you get at all serious with them. Fills can be difficult to source, spendy and time consuming (some places require a drop off and pick-up several days later). Hand pumps will turn you off to airguns quicker than snot. ;) Fine for a field backup, but you certainly don't want to rely on them as a primary air source.

I recently found another use for mine too. As mentioned have a 60 acre spread here and have Coyotes coming by. So far they have not shown interest in trying to get to the chickens but I keep trying to discourage them anyway. Shot one with some rubber .68 caliber that I bought to chase of the Canada Geese and it did make the one finally leave the yard. Then one night on my way to work making last patrol of the place ran into two of them. Stopped got out they were just staring at me with that "do we need to worry or not look". So next night I put my rifle in the back seat with a light just taped to it. Ran into a couple again. Got out and opened up on them. Its semi and has 30 round mag. Got at least 10 shot off before they were out of sight and not sure if I connected but they ran like they were on fire. :s0140:
So did not see them again for next several nights but will keep tossing the thing in the back seat for that last look over before I go to work. Just using the cheap flat head pellets but I know those suckers would have to hurt like hell if they connect. I found out how much power they have when I was testing a new mag in the basement and fired a few into the large bucket of water for the pump. Damn things went through the water with enough left to make holes in the bucket.:eek:

Thanks guys. Already made my first dumbass mistake. I assumed that all 177 guns took both bbs and pellets. Imagine my surprise when I tried to drop a bb in the p17 and it rolled out of the barrel.

Thanks guys. Already made my first dumbass mistake. I assumed that all 177 guns took both bbs and pellets. Imagine my surprise when I tried to drop a bb in the p17 and it rolled out of the barrel.
They do all "take" BB's. Most have some kind of magnet in the bolt to hold the BB in place as they are slightly smaller that the pellets. If that one does not no biggie any more. The great shortage seems to be over for pellets.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top