JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Holy heck that got my heart rate going! While chauffeuring my wife to work in the wee hours a guy about got his ticket punched by yours truly.

I was coming up a hill on one way 4 lane. There was one vehicle beside us trailing a little and no one in front nor behind us for probably 4 blocks. I was in the process of changing lanes:
scan ahead,
look at the rearview and side mirror,
scan ahead,
check the side and peripheral once more

And she yells out something about a guy in the street! It was dark and I flat out didn't see him. I attribute it to his dark clothes blending into the asphalt that made up the backdrop. I fully slammed on the brakes which resulted in the classic screeching tires that no one wants to hear.

I don't know if maybe he was just kinda getting out there and was going to wait for us to drive by? Or maybe he figured "I'm in a crosswalk, I have the right of way". Since I didn't see him at all he may have just been standing there waiting for us to go by. I'll never know as I stopped well shy of him and didn't bother to ask :rolleyes: The other car stopped ahead of us so they obviously didn't see him either.

So we just sit there stopped and the guy finally continues his walk across the street a few moments later. He is kinda stink eyeing me and shaking his head. Meanwhile he would not have wanted to hear what I was saying about him and his level of intelligence.

Not sure about you all but as a pedestrian I trust no moving vehicles when they are in the vicinity. Heck when I'm in a parking lot I constantly look for reverse lights and butts in seats which can lead to the sudden movement of a few thousand pounds of 'run you over'. And when there is an option of crossing the street while a car is a block away or waiting for the gap where they are 4 blocks away the choice is obvious.

This guy was in all dark clothing and it was not yet light out. I couldn't believe with how little traffic there was he chose that moment to cross the street. But you see this often up here.

Usually it is the homeless people doing this sort of thing. Which I don't think this guy was. He looked to be decently groomed in his early 30's. I hear from my wife all the time about the new transient patient on her floor at the hospital that that was hit by a car. Its almost like they are doing it on purpose so that they can either 'end it all', or they just want those good (and free) hospital drugs. These people are nuts. Their normal modus operandi is to just step off the curb right in front of you. But this is always during the day when you can see them. Giving you a sporting chance of not getting sued?

A question.
Does it seem to anyone else that people are doing things like this more often? Or has this remained the same for say the last 30 years? Oh yeah he wasn't on a phone surprisingly . Looked like he was walking to or from work maybe.

Keep your eyes peeled for this new age of people that think their bodies defy the laws of physics and are nice little safe spaces. Rant over o_O

Entitled is the first thing that I thought of.

In my neighborhood there is and area where people cross the road to a walking path. Great, get out and get exercise. WAY TOO MANY times they just keep walking across the street without a regard for traffic.

*I must state that there is NO crosswalk and no sidewalks. This right across the middle of the road. This happens way too many times by numerous different people.

I usually just blow past them like they aren't there. The same folks that I've "buzzed" numerous times either stop walking in front of traffic because they know I wont stop, or they have started to realize they are no match for a moving vehicle.

I had a couple YELL at me because I didn't stop for them. I slammed on my brakes and threw my truck into park and jumped out.

They guy gets puffy chested and started walking towards me. He's yelling, she's yelling, I'm yelling. He finally says "If you hit me or my wife I'll sue you for everything you own."

My reply? "If I hit you with my 7000 pound truck you'll be dead! Plus, you are not in a crosswalk, you are in the middle of the street. You have no rights and privileges. Your wife will have no recourse and you'll still be dead."

He just stood there absolutely speechless. His wife just stood there with her mouth slightly open. After about 3-5 seconds I turned and walked away. Got in my truck and drove off.

They DO NOT walk out in front of vehicles anymore. They must have told all of their walker-friends because people don't just keep walking when traffic is on the street anymore.

In this society, it's entitlement. Plain and simple.

I should add this guy was in a crosswalk. So I definitely say ultimately it is on me to see him. But common sense says if you are wearing dark colors at night maybe you should be confident that drivers see you before playing in the street.

:s0090:

Wasn't there something in the news late last year about a crosswalk in Portland area that was dimly lit and quite a few people getting killed/hit/near-hit?

A lot of good walking out into traffic in a crosswalk that is dimly lit (or no lights), wearing dark clothes and EXPECTING traffic to stop for you. :s0087:

I saw a group of high school kids standing on the corner a few months back. One of them stood in the street. At least a foot or 3 from the curb. This lady was trying to turn on a green light and this jackwagon just stood there like 'no big deal'. I wanted to pull over and have a talk with him.

I have done my fair share of stupid things. Playing chicken with cars was not among them.

I saw a group of high school kids standing on the corner a few months back. One of them stood in the street. At least a foot or 3 from the curb. This lady was trying to turn on a green light and this jackwagon just stood there like 'no big deal'. I wanted to pull over and have a talk with him.

I have done my fair share of stupid things. Playing chicken with cars was not among them.

Entitlement. Where is a cop when you want one? Take that little ______ aside and have a "talk" with them!

Entitlement. Where is a cop when you want one? Take that little ______ aside and have a "talk" with them!
I just feel like there is a very low likelihood of anything positive coming from that sort of confrontation.

There is hope though. Got a story from when I went to the movies a few years back. While I was washing my hands after using the restroom a kid (8-10 years old) had just finished up and dried his hands. On his way out he through his paper towel at the garbage can and missed. I thought of saying something but didn't. A split second later a guy who was on his way into the restroom (and didn't know this child from Adam) watched him try to walk off and he barked at this kid "come back here and pick that up!". The boy did it too! Lickety-split!

It
Was
Awesome!

Made my day :D

It amazes me that pedestrians and bicyclists typically wear dark clothing when they must know that even if they are in the right, chances are they will be the ones in a hospital. Idiots.

People continue to "do" and get away with, without anyone ever saying anything to them. So they take it to the next "level". (sort of like stepping over the line in the sand and nothing happening. They keep stepping over it until eventually something happens)

Good on that guy!

Kind of like all of us in certain ways. (I know me for sure!) Every once in a while I need a smack in the head (or a good talking-to from my significant other) to make me realize "things". Then I am back on-track for a while.

Seems to be getting worse, in what I've seen around town.
Or people are getting dumber about what they're wearing. Wearing a gray sweatshirt or jacket in the early morning, dense fog, and walking across roads against the lights is a quick way to the hospital (or the morgue). Or a dark jacket with no reflectives on it at dusk/dark. WTH? But, it's all about the fashion and not about the safety.
Heck, I've worn one of my motorcycle jackets a few times out in the evenings this past winter when it was getting dark earlier to walk my dog, just because it's got good reflectives on it where my normal jackets don't.

a very old homeless lady ran infront of me and up to my car window once and started pounding on it, i rolled it down and 300mph in spanish i made out "i need to go to mexico, give me money"

i told her in spanish that i dont speak spanish. ADIOS!!

i speak enough spanish to get around but i do not look hispanic... nor my native heritage which is hawaiian. yet, this isnt the first time ive been approached in spanisho_Oo_O

I've had a couple of instances where my closure rate and angle of approach left a pedestrian/bicyclist in a blind spot in daylight. Close calls both times. Scary crap.

Holy heck that got my heart rate going! While chauffeuring my wife to work in the wee hours a guy about got his ticket punched by yours truly.

I was coming up a hill on one way 4 lane. There was one vehicle beside us trailing a little and no one in front nor behind us for probably 4 blocks. I was in the process of changing lanes:
scan ahead,
look at the rearview and side mirror,
scan ahead,
check the side and peripheral once more

And she yells out something about a guy in the street! It was dark and I flat out didn't see him. I attribute it to his dark clothes blending into the asphalt that made up the backdrop. I fully slammed on the brakes which resulted in the classic screeching tires that no one wants to hear.

I don't know if maybe he was just kinda getting out there and was going to wait for us to drive by? Or maybe he figured "I'm in a crosswalk, I have the right of way". Since I didn't see him at all he may have just been standing there waiting for us to go by. I'll never know as I stopped well shy of him and didn't bother to ask :rolleyes: The other car stopped ahead of us so they obviously didn't see him either.

So we just sit there stopped and the guy finally continues his walk across the street a few moments later. He is kinda stink eyeing me and shaking his head. Meanwhile he would not have wanted to hear what I was saying about him and his level of intelligence.

Not sure about you all but as a pedestrian I trust no moving vehicles when they are in the vicinity. Heck when I'm in a parking lot I constantly look for reverse lights and butts in seats which can lead to the sudden movement of a few thousand pounds of 'run you over'. And when there is an option of crossing the street while a car is a block away or waiting for the gap where they are 4 blocks away the choice is obvious.

This guy was in all dark clothing and it was not yet light out. I couldn't believe with how little traffic there was he chose that moment to cross the street. But you see this often up here.

Usually it is the homeless people doing this sort of thing. Which I don't think this guy was. He looked to be decently groomed in his early 30's. I hear from my wife all the time about the new transient patient on her floor at the hospital that that was hit by a car. Its almost like they are doing it on purpose so that they can either 'end it all', or they just want those good (and free) hospital drugs. These people are nuts. Their normal modus operandi is to just step off the curb right in front of you. But this is always during the day when you can see them. Giving you a sporting chance of not getting sued?

A question.
Does it seem to anyone else that people are doing things like this more often? Or has this remained the same for say the last 30 years? Oh yeah he wasn't on a phone surprisingly . Looked like he was walking to or from work maybe.

Keep your eyes peeled for this new age of people that think their bodies defy the laws of physics and are nice little safe spaces. Rant over o_O
First of all delete this post or thead and never admit to anything if you would have hit this idot that walked in front of your car in the dark with dark clothing on your first thing would be call 911 and when cops arrive you say I didn't see him and that's it call your attorney and keep your mouth shut .im I out

If I had a dollar for every dumb pedestrian I've almost hit, because they didn't act in the best interests of self preservation, I could afford an attorney. I consider myself a reasonably safe driver as everyone does, but I've been lucky.

I go to WSUV 4 times a week and they put in Massive Pedestrian signs on the 2 major cross walks.

Now keep in mind, the instant someone hits that button the sign lights up like Christmas and there is no lag or wait time.

Instead of using it, 90% of people just keep walking and don't even bother to 'look both ways' and the other 10% of people Look but still don't use the signs... :confused:.

I have a safety orange coat I was gifted and it's been a great coat as far as comfort but it also is a good one to go to the range with. No one forgets I'm out hanging targets:rolleyes::p:D

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews