JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Welcome to another episode of "Reloading Adventures with Mygrainman"

I got the worst stuck case of my life yesterday, and no fancy case removal kit in my arsenal...
So I did what I always do in these sort of situations, and opened my junk drawer, grabbed a hand full of crap, and improvised.
IMG_3185.JPG

The first problem was getting the decap pin out... nearly impossible, but I had deadbolt door plate, and used a cutoff wheel to "keymod" over pin hole so I could get under the nut and screw it out... it boogered up the knurling, but it worked. IMG_3186.JPG

At this point I tried just tapping it out with a dowl and hammer, but no dice... sucker was welded in. So on to the drill & Tap.
The only tap I could find in a usable diameter was 1/4" x 28, and I could not find a bolt of that flavor... but as I was digging through my AR parts box I remembered that 1/4 28 is what the grip screw is pitched... And I happened to have a couple extras.
For a spacer... a brass compression fitting nut obviously.
IMG_3190.JPG
it was so stuck that a regular washer just bent, so the thicker deadbolt plate was incorporated again...
IMG_3194.JPG
after much effort the stuck case finally let go, and the random junk was put into a handy little kit for next time. IMG_3195.JPG
Mygrainman saves the day again :s0094:

Last Edited:
...one hand slap on forehead for inspiration & innovation
...one hand slap to back of head for not having actual 'stuck case parts kit' already at hand...

and TWO hands clapping for solution & improvisation success!!!o_O

I had plenty of lube... I use the Dillon lanolin spray. Mygrainman never goes in dry;)(OMG... Did I just referred to myself in the third person?:rolleyes:) I discovered the reason it stuck so bad was the case neck was .10 over length. It must have snuck past the trimmer after I formed it from a 5.56 case.

I did have it upside down in the press for most of the actual operation like the feller in the video... I just laid everything out on the table for easy photography...
I wanted to get the pin out, mainly because the 300 bo die is so short that I wast confident the decap pin was far enough out of the way... but also because like Jim, I've had success in the past with just hammering the case out with a punch.... come to think of it it was with Lee dies too... And I hadn't discovered the AR15 grip screw would work with that tap. If I used the vise grips instead of regular pliers, it would probably been fine. It's just the knurling on the decap pin nut, so it's no big deal... easy to replace if it becomes a problem. the knurling on the $40 die body is still just fine.

I had plenty of lube... I use the Dillon lanolin spray. Mygrainman never goes in dry;)(OMG... Did I just referred to myself in the third person?:rolleyes:) I discovered the reason it stuck so bad was the case neck was .10 over length. It must have snuck past the trimmer after I formed it from a 5.56 case.

I did have it upside down in the press for most of the actual operation like the feller in the video... I just laid everything out on the table for easy photography...
I wanted to get the pin out, mainly because the 300 bo die is so short that I wast confident the decap pin was far enough out of the way... but also because like Jim, I've had success in the past with just hammering the case out with a punch.... come to think of it it was with Lee dies too... And I hadn't discovered the AR15 grip screw would work with that tap. If I used the vise grips instead of regular pliers, it would probably been fine. It's just the knurling on the decap pin nut, so it's no big deal... easy to replace if it becomes a problem. the knurling on the $40 die body is still just fine.
I had plenty of lube...
because like Jim, I've had success in the past with just hammering the case out with a punch.... come to think of it it was with Lee dies too... And I hadn't discovered the AR15 grip screw would work with that tap. If I used the vise grips instead of regular pliers, it would probably been fine. It's just the knurling on the decap pin nut, so it's no big deal... easy to replace if it becomes a problem. the knurling on the $40 die body is still just fine.

"DIBS!" :eek:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR