JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all! Anyone have experience with a shop that rebuilt a jeep motor for them? My old jeep has 190k on her and she's pretty weak (it's a 2.5 so always been weak). So I would like to find someone trusted to talk to about a rebuild or swap. Salem area would be ideal but I'm not opposed to going to Portland for a reputable mechanic. For that matter, if any members want to chat about their services and qualifications, I'm down for that as well. Thanks all for reading and have a great day.

Hello all! Anyone have experience with a shop that rebuilt a jeep motor for them? My old jeep has 190k on her and she's pretty weak (it's a 2.5 so always been weak). So I would like to find someone trusted to talk to about a rebuild or swap. Salem area would be ideal but I'm not opposed to going to Portland for a reputable mechanic. For that matter, if any members want to chat about their services and qualifications, I'm down for that as well. Thanks all for reading and have a great day.
I can't help you with a mechanic, but here's some food for thought...
If your engine has always run cool and was never over-heated, have your engine rebuilt.
If you can stand the down time.

Thanks DD, I appreciate the input. No overheat since I've had it and it's a toy, so I can afford the down time. After hunting season of course.:D

I'm happy with stock on this one. Have a lifted 4x. This is more for getting into tight spaces during hunting season and the occasional cruise to the beach.

I've been down that road. Now where I'm a rather confident fellow, I do learn from my mistakes. I've rebuilt two engines in my life and neither one lasted more than 6 months. So what I learned is that I'll gladly pay a professional to do the things I'm not good at.

been over 50 years since my last 4 cyl Jeep. Lottsa fun & pretty much simple tools, like side grinder, adjustable swing mallet, & Odin's Private Words of Power for the Teenager.

Lol I got a Dodge truck with the 318 I believe that's what it is 1991 Dodge Dakota .
Runs hot all the time had to change the thermostat a few times .
Lol then I just took the thermostat out contunuses flow but it still runs over heating was a PROBLEM in traffic but not anymore

Decades back I had 318 in old circa 1961 DOT surveyor panel wagon; 19" wheels & granny gear so deep it reached the Center of the Earth. Great design, very usable utility rig. Would buy another in a heartbeat. The 4 cylinder Jeeps have their own appeal. I'm on my 5th Jeep in 50 years. Love the new JK regardless of nostalgia.

Decades back I had 318 in old circa 1961 DOT surveyor panel wagon; 19" wheels & granny gear so deep it reached the Center of the Earth. Great design, very usable utility rig. Would buy another in a heartbeat. The 4 cylinder Jeeps have their own appeal. I'm on my 5th Jeep in 50 years. Love the new JK regardless of nostalgia.
Had the same thing in a 3/4 ton 65, with a 318. Loved it much. It had factory 8X17.5 in rims. Like some guns I've had, should of never got shed of it.

Iron Duke 2.5 l straight 4 banger? Push rods? That is a cool engine. Refresh it yourself. Start with a ring and valve job. Full tuneup. That engine used to be a mill of choice for all sorts of projects. Lots of hot rod stuff. Or there used to be.

Do you have the space to remove the engine there?

If so just remove it, strip it down to a long block assy and swap it out with a fresh longblock.
Then hang it on an engine stand and install all the tin and accys.
Replace all rubber and hose stuff you can get to while it's out. New water pump etc.

Swing it back in, bolt it back up and motor on.

Should be more than a few places in that area that sell a longblock for a reasonable price.

I was always amazed how well the little 4 banger actually performed. More than adequate for the intended purpose. The footprint/configuration of the CJ2 era was made for non-pavement chores. I'd never want to travel across the interstate, but the outback of SW Idaho was perfect. Good luck with your project.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top