JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've lived here in the same place for several decades. I've never seen it so dry on my property. The amount of time I spend watering everything, including mature trees is becoming wearying. Yet if I don't do it, many plants will perish. Even though it's still the cheapest utility, I'm wondering what my water bill is gonna be this next cycle. In the past few years, my water district has gone away from flat rates; now they have tiered rates based on how much you use. It will be interesting. If I don't do it, to some extent, my forest will wither up and die. Even mature trees dry out to the extent they get severely stressed.

I irrigate by sections in turn. My property is of a size that I can't do it all in one go. It's about a three day cycle to give everything even a modest drink. Yesterday, I was watering toward the front of my property. In one area, I could smell something dead. This evening while I was watering, Mrs. Merkt ran me down and said she wanted me to see an animal she'd found. It was a baby rabbit. With one look at it, I could see it was dehydrated badly. I was able to easily catch it with my hand and hold it, which isn't usual in my limited experience of wild rabbits. It wasn't very old, about the size between a mouse and a rat. We weren't sure what to do with it. While we were at this, I saw a mature rabbit sprint across an open area so I put the baby up there. It was still for a long time, yet when I looked a little later, it was gone.

Point being, I know it's so dry out there now that wildlife is dying. Which is nature's way for all creatures, sooner or later. But I don't like to see it because of drought.

I keep filled water buckets and trashcan lids out for the birds and maybe some of the other wildlife. I don't like raccoons around and take active measures to discourage them. But they will ruin garden hoses by chewing when the weather gets dry. So better they take some of the water I leave out than ruin hoses. But, the raccoons aren't around much lately. It's so dry, I think they are mostly down near the Sound, which is about a quarter mile away. There are a couple of streams near us that empty into the Sound and these have water year round, even now when it is super dry.

I feel your pain too. We are fortunate enough to be on a well but I am conserving water. My 3/4 acre in-ground irrigation has been adjusted to keep only the zones that we use green and car washing (a labor of lover for me) has been drastically cut too. There are several local cities that depend on surface water (rivers) that have put measures in place already for conservation. Me, being in the water industry, have made conscious efforts to cut my water usage drastically.
My beer consumption on the weekends have not been effected, lol.

Nature has a way of showing us how insignificant we are. If we were not here on the land it would still be hot and dry like summers can be. I water with city water that is the most expensive in the state but want to save my trees so I use a lot. We do what we can.

Many years ago, the county I live in and the public utility district went together and built a big lake out in the hills. Which turns out to have been a very good idea, as to date it has provided enough water to the area so as to preclude worries of shortage. Still, if trends continue for years, it will be a problem.

Not related to the drought issue, the water supply from this lake comes down to the populated areas via two large pipelines. I read recently in a newspaper article about earthquake that it is possible for these two big pipes to fracture. The article speculated that if these two pipes were disrupted by earthquake, it could take up to a year or longer to get them going again. Yikes, that would be a very big problem for a lot of people.

Home conservation. We don't waste water in the home. I get called on the carpet for "forgetting" to flush urea down in "my" bathroom, and I always promise not to "forget" when guests are coming over. I have an outdoor pit latrine for use when I'm outside working. In the army, they were called "piss tubes."

I don't often wash the cars. Some are parked in car ports, two sit out. When I wash, I don't use that much from the hose. I have a suds bucket. The limited run-off goes into an open area that can use the moisture this time of year anyway.

We do have a dishwasher. It is a fairly late model that supposedly is more efficient. I had to undertake a major cleaning of this appliance not long ago. In doing this, I disconnected the discharge line from the sanitary drain in the house. I didn't want the chemicals going down into the septic system. Anyway, I discovered through this process that the dishwasher discharge is about three gallons. I've had the idea before to divert this discharge outside for irrigation (code violation) but have not done it.

Clothes washing. The discharge from the washing machine could be irrigating landscaping. Code violation. I'm not saying that mine is, but this water could be used a second time on the trees.

My water bill goes on a bi-monthly cycle. During the cooler times of the year, it runs about $40. But the past couple of dry years, this time of the year when I'm using all that water for irrigation, the bill has been around $150.

We had a weird thing happen.

Whenever I went to water flower pots and raised beds the spay wand would plug up. At first I was concerned that rubber from the water tank was sloughing off but upon further inspection the problem was that small ants were crawling through the little openings to get water and when the tap was opened they all got flushed out at once and plugged things up.

Now I always leave the hose high off the ground and first check for ants. At least my water tank is OK! Ha

Do you guys use Hydretain to keep your plants alive during this very dry summer? Yard Mastery is having a sale and I highly recommend it.

I use it on my lawn and even without an in-ground sprinkler, I've been able to keep my lawn green. You can use it for flowers and other plants too. The way it works, is that instead of allowing water vapor to escape from the ground and hence unavailable to the plant, Hydretain absorbs these water vapor and turns them into water droplets and available for the plant to use.

My neighbors are probably wondering what kind of voodoo magic I'm using to keep the lawn green without an in-ground sprinkler. :D

Do you guys use Hydretain to keep your plants alive during this very dry summer? Yard Mastery is having a sale and I highly recommend it.

I use it on my lawn and even without an in-ground sprinkler, I've been able to keep my lawn green. You can use it for flowers and other plants too. The way it works, is that instead of allowing water vapor to escape from the ground and hence unavailable to the plant, Hydretain absorbs these water vapor and turns them into water droplets and available for the plant to use.

My neighbors are probably wondering what kind of voodoo magic I'm using to keep the lawn green without an in-ground sprinkler. :D
That's really interesting - thanks so much for sharing the info!

We have a sprinkler system but most everyone in our neighborhood is letting their lawn die. I am only watering the front flowerbeds but because of the sprinkler station is not precise we are watering part of the front lawn.

I only water twice a week 6 minutes early in the morning and 6 minutes in the evening. Our plants are mature and does not need that much water.

If you're in a residential area you may want to keep the dormant grass wet once or twice a week.
We passed by a yard fire that was ignited intentionally with a firework thrown from a vehicle. The fast acting neighbors extinguished it before the home burned. There was melted vinyl siding.

Last Edited:
I got my water bill this morning. For 68 days, we used not quite 24,000 gallons and the bill was $117. Which is pretty reasonable, but don't tell them I said so.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top