JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there a way to recreate factory loads with handloading? I'm thinking specifically about the expensive self defense and hunting loads. Is there someone who has taken the time to figure out what powder and bullet combo they are using ?

I've been able to produce hunting loads that are more accurate than any factory hunting loads.
It's very satisfying knowing my hunting rounds will go thru the same hole @ 100 yards and beyond if I do my job.

i would steer clear of reloaded defense rounds unless you only plan in re creating them for training at the range. not to carry.

just sayin.

also, ive loaded pretty accurate hunting loads via my own recipie that yield close to or better than factory load velocities.

Is there a way to recreate factory loads with handloading? I'm thinking specifically about the expensive self defense and hunting loads. Is there someone who has taken the time to figure out what powder and bullet combo they are using ?

This is what got me to start rolling my own decades ago. Before they mastered the small auto's I bought a few 5 shot .44's. At that time we could not mail order ammo and the only .44 Special ammo you found in shops was the standard RN lead. So I made my own. Found how much fun it was. Now days I can't really see any point in it. Unless you lived in a state that has stopped people from buying ammo mail order. If you still want to it all depends on how much you want to spend. You can use load data to get pretty damn close to what the big name stuff runs. If you want to invest in a chronograph you can dial it in even better but again why? There is so much great defense ammo loaded now days to choose from.

Reloading allows you to surpass factory ammunition because you can tailor it to your specific firearm. In a rifle, for example, you can seat the bullet to just before it touches the lands and work up a load that is the most conducive to the mechanical harmonics of your rifle the way you shoot it.

Factory ammo is one size fits all. Reloaded ammo is just your size.

I believe its' the old Lyman reloading manual number 46 that has factory duplication loads for the bullets of the time. Plus if you read about powders they do tell you which powders were used to load factory rifle ammo. Which bullet wait and caliber are you looking for? It is better to practice with factory duplication loads by benefit of saving money and the rounds will go to the same place.:D

Self defense, you can just get the Bullets and load them up to the same speed as factory. They're not made to do head shots @ 100yds, you're just mainly wanting the bullet to expand reliably like the factory stuff.

Hunting, yeah you can do a lot better than factory. You'll still need the appropriate velocity, but you can tailor the powder charge to match the harmonics of your barrel.

One thing I didnt mention is flash. Most of the self defense powders are low flash so you don't get blinded if shooting in a dark environment.

This may or may not be something you take into consideration when loading self defense rounds.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top