JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There aren't any left in Oregon. The closest is a Lassen Community College in Susanville, CA (although who really wants to go to gunsmithing school in California). The next closest is either Yavapai in Arizona or Colorado School of Trades and Trinidad Junior College in Colorado. Cylinder and Slide does some classes on 1911 work, but the last I saw were in San Diego...

PCC has a good machining program that is self paced. It would be a great place to start and then take some more specific advanced gunsmithing classes.

Hey x1hunter89-

I will send you some contact info thru a PM tomorrow.

I am going through a med-board myself and once I have pre-narsum I can take that to VA VOC REHAB... till then i am just learning what I can.

SF-

There aren't any left in Oregon. The closest is a Lassen Community College in Susanville, CA (although who really wants to go to gunsmithing school in California). The next closest is either Yavapai in Arizona or Colorado School of Trades and Trinidad Junior College in Colorado. Cylinder and Slide does some classes on 1911 work, but the last I saw were in San Diego...
california or not,I hear this is a very good smith school.

Hey x1hunter89-

I will send you some contact info thru a PM tomorrow.

I am going through a med-board myself and once I have pre-narsum I can take that to VA VOC REHAB... till then i am just learning what I can.

SF-

Silver fix I just got out and am also waiting on percentages have you had any luck in that field since then?

i was looking to get some training

There are no schools left in Oregon unfortunately. I was an Assistant Instructor at Rouge Community College when they had a 2yr Associate of Science in Gunsmithng / Machine Technology. It was the program that had been at OIT in K. Falls.

Lt. Col James Rice, USMC-Ret ran the program. Jim was a Board of Directors on the NRA, built more winning rifles for the USMC at Camp Perry than anyone, and built a lot of M14's and 1,000yrd bolt rifles for Perry and Palma shooters. He ran an excellent program. We always had a 2yr waiting list and a number of foreign students attending. Jim Brockman was there also then. It turned out some respected talent. Due to Southern Cal influence and the campus board, the program got pushed out. Jim had got us Federal Grants for a new building, new machinery, including new Lagun CNC mills and Colchester CNC lathes, which was a good feat in 1984-87. It slowly went into CAD/CAM machine tech, then it died altogether sadly.

Trinidad seems to put out the best students of the ones I have spoken with and going by what my friends tell me also at major companies. P.O. Ackley and Robert (RG ) West ran that program for decades. Get a full, 2yr degree. When you look at Weatherby's, Williams Gunsite, ect websites, they want you to have an in house, 2yr degree, the DVD/Correspondence/ On Line or quickie courses are not going to land you employment, regardless of they're "Certification".

Taking some local Community College class's in machine tech / gas welding / tig welding is a good start, along with English:s0114:

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the CO school of trades and it's good training if you can sacrifice the time. I also have the AGI series and they're not bad if you have a basic understanding and some common sense. However I think hands on training is the best and that's what most people respect. (not saying there's no good smith's who learned solely from videos/online). I would not learn my smithing from YouTube, I've seen some downright dangerous "trigger jobs" and other mods on there. I agree with the guys above, take a machine and welding course at a local college then take some gunsmith specific classes. Hope that helps

Jon
NW Custom Firearms

The top school tends to wander. Over the last 15 years, I have heard of Colorado School of Trades, Trinidad Junior College, and Mt. Lassen Community College (Susanville) all holding that title. I know there is also a school in Pennsylvania and one in Arizona, but I haven't heard of them as much as the other three. I know of several companies that have been burned by graduates from one school or another and won't hire anyone with that degree anymore.

When I went to CST, they seemed to have the top school designation, but at the moment, I think most people are saying Trinidad. CST lost one of their top instructors several years ago, and I think it hurt them.

I know some very fine gunsmiths that have gone to school in Susanville. My only objection to the program is that it is in California. Just seems like an odd place to go if you want to be exposed to the widest selection of guns...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top